The New Goldwing

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But, on the other hand, I'm 67, and don't how many years I have left to ride. Do I waste one of those years waiting to see if anything gets updated after the first year.
+1 Time is shorter than we think and you make excellent points. Hitchhiking on what was previously mentioned, Honda is pretty good at getting the mechanicals and electricals right even if the design isn't popular. Ride what you want as long as you can before your only option is a Lark.

Even though I very likely won't get one (though there are $$$ saying 'Hey! We're just sitting here doing nothing!') I will be at the showroom trying to get a demo ride.

Bike
2005 st1300
Seems to be the general consensus so far. Keep hearing how riders are impressed with the new front suspension. I have went from general interest to wondering if I can swing it, financially. I am really interested in riding one now

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Looking at the speedometers of the old and the new in this video, I'm I right in seeing this reporter going 20mph faster on the straight, 80 vs 100 ?

After looking at the video again I don't think they show a back to back run on the same piece of track, shame it would be nice to know the overall real life performance improvement.

Last edited:

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Wow, this guy is certainly impressed

https://youtu.be/nM7d7ux_6yE
This video at 4:45 shows the speedo at about 110 mph+ without much problem. It appears to accelerate at about the same as the ST1300 in the video...maybe quicker:eek:.

I have attached a screen snip and the dashboard shot. It is clear in the screen snip that the speedo needle breeches vertical and on the dash shot that is 110 mph. So it has plenty of power.

Attachments

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Southern Powersports said they would have 2 demo models, later this month, and 20 bikes in February. Chattanooga is a long way to go for a test ride, but they said they would give me a call when the bikes came in. The previous owner of my ST1300 is now their sales manager. The local dealer is 30 minutes away, but they’ve “dropped the ball” so many times, that I won’t even consider buying from them. Plus, Southern is offering about $3000 discount from MSRP, with no destination or dealer fees. Out the door for a DCT Tour is just under $25K.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Part of my decision is that I've been retired 5 years and have managed without touching any of my 401K. Everything's paid for except the house. My kids are doing ok, so I don't worry about having to leave my retirement money to them. They'll get enough from my house, when I'm gone. Since I can't take it with me, I might as well ride it. I'm sure if Janis was still here, she's be picking out the color and handing me the checkbook.
I like your attitude. I'm 63 and not "retired" and not really sure when I will be. I have my own business as a contractor. It's just me. I've had busy years and slow years. Lately, it's been slow. When it gets slow enough, I guess I'll consider that "retired". My tenuous goal is 66 because that's when I can work and not have my SS reduced due to income (so-called "full retirement age").

It sound like your wife (Janis?) has died. If so, my condolences. My wife also died (cancer, 6 years ago) and I felt like my world was shattered. I've carried on. I still miss her every day, but I continue to live somewhat purposefully which is why I bought the ST1300 5 years ago and why I'm considering the new Gold Wing for my next bike. I could afford to buy it now, but only by withdrawing from my IRA. I don't think I should do that just yet. I don't know how long I'll need that money to last.

If and/or when I buy a Goldwing, I'm going to want a smaller bike also for local rides so that's something I'm thinking about too, especially expense-wise. At the top of my wishlist is the Triumph T100. It's just the right size and has retro appeal.

Best of luck if you go for the Goldwing.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Plus, Southern is offering about $3000 discount from MSRP, with no destination or dealer fees. Out the door for a DCT Tour is just under $25K.
That's worth a FnR for that money. If I was in the market that is.

STinner

Retired
Bike
2016 Goldwing
2024 Miles
I can understand why some want to know how something works and debate the engineering aspects of the new Wing. To me there is a much simpler way of deciding. Simply ride one and size it up on performance. Don't like the looks, don't like the amount of torque, don't like the brakes... or like, like, like all the above. How about just riding one and see how well it works or doesn't. Maybe the engineering works well enough that the nitpickers can't tell the difference... or better yet, you have to admit, You LIKE it.
Hell up here around Lake Erie I just might have to wait until May or June to ride the thing...............wait.............plane ride...

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
My tenuous goal is 66 because that's when I can work and not have my SS reduced due to income (so-called "full retirement age").
Off topic...but as you mentioned it....Many look at the SS check "reductions" as a loss, but see SS publication:

--If some of your retirement benefits are withheld because of your earnings, your monthly benefit will increase starting at your full retirement age to take into account those months in which benefits were withheld.

So the "reductions" are no loss. You just have to live long enough for the later increase in benefits to make up for the earlier reductions (same principle as delaying drawing a check from SS) and lifetime benefits could even be higher.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll be calling the two local dealers starting the first of February. Of course if they start showing up this month I'll call sooner.

Bike
R1200rt
looks like honda is bringing the nc750x to the US.. This is what I have been looking for maybe? Better brakes, adds 1000 rpm to the red line (over nc700) and has that great gas mileage

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
So. my dealer sent me an email with a photo of their first 'Wing they received this afternoon. I'm going to look tomorrow. They only received tour models today and I am seriously considering the non tour. BUT, I'm anxious to see how it feels to sit on and how "big" it feels.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I swapped emails yesterday with a dealer, reminding him to set me up for a test ride on a DCT, to see if I like it, or the manual. After the ride, I'll have to pick a color and figure out the logistics of getting it home from Chattanooga.

Ride Safe
John

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
After the ride, I'll have to pick a color and figure out the logistics of getting it home from Chattanooga.
One-way car rentals are pretty cheap, on the order of $75 when I did it some years ago. Also there's the U-Haul motorcycle trailer if you don't want to ride it back this time of year. Have fun with the future new toy.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
One-way car rentals are pretty cheap, on the order of $75 when I did it some years ago. Also there's the U-Haul motorcycle trailer if you don't want to ride it back this time of year. Have fun with the future new toy.
I thought about a rental car, and it may be the way to go. I have a nice open trailer, with a wheel chock mounted, but I can't wrap my head around buying a new bike and the first thing I do, is put it on a trailer. I'd probably have to stop a couple of times on the way home to unload it and ride a bit. :)

When I bought my ST from them in 2011, they closed the deal by saying they'd put it in a truck and deliver! 3 hours, one-way at no charge, so I couldn't turn down the offer. I doubt I get the same offer to deliver a Wing.

On the other hand, I might ride one of my bikes over and take the ridiculous trade in offer so I could save a little on sales tax.

John

I thought about a rental car, and it may be the way to go.
I've never bought any vehicle new, as I'd rather not take the huge depreciation hit.

However, if the vehicle I've just bought is not local to me, i always do the one-way car rental. Someone here mentioned $75 - heck, i get them for $40-50, and for a midsize. How? Order the compact and 98% of the time, they offer an upgrade for $0 extra.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just called two dealers. One seemed clueless and the other said they won't get the bikes until April. I'll call back in a few weeks to see if anything has changed. And maybe one more dealer.

Top Bottom