What was it for?

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
So my new bike has this cool little shelf on the upper right side-- uses two screws on the right side dash and the shelf is maybe 3x3 inches.

Has a piece of velcro and a velcro strap looped around it.

But what has me confused is there is also a cable/cord run to the location that has what looks like a phone connector? I am pretty sure it is a power cord but have never seen that type-- maybe a radar detector that was removed? The PO ran the wire into an existing loom but I believe it goes back to the aux fuse block under the passenger seat....

The shelf may be a good spot to mount a TPMS-- not sure if it'll work for a GPS....

STOC #
Phone connector = V1 radar detector. Buy yourself a new Valentine One and enjoy the fruit of the other guy's labor. :) (however, a new V1 will cost an arm and a leg)

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
But what has me confused is there is also a cable/cord run to the location that has what looks like a phone connector? I am pretty sure it is a power cord but have never seen that type--
Will the connector plug into your cell phone? Be careful about plugging your cell phone into it until you trace the wiring from the connector to verify that it has some type of adapter between it and +12V that provides +5V output, or you may zap your phone. I'm not aware of any devices that have that type of connector that aren't powered by +5V, but who knows what the PO may have done? Most such power/charger cords have a USB plug at one end that plugs into either an AC or 12V DC adapter (such as the cigarette lighter-type adapters).

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Be careful about plugging your cell phone into it until you trace the wiring from the connector to verify that it has some type of adapter between it and +12V that provides +5V output, or you may zap your phone.
The cigarette lighter charger for the sena smh10 runs 12 volts and uses a standard phone plug identical in appearance to my Blackberry, my Android AND my Garmin. It was the Garmin that paid the price and taught me the lesson. There is a tiny bit of tape on the cable that announces the danger. Can be an expensive mistake.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
The cigarette lighter charger for the sena smh10 runs 12 volts and uses a standard phone plug identical in appearance to my Blackberry, my Android AND my Garmin. It was the Garmin that paid the price and taught me the lesson. There is a tiny bit of tape on the cable that announces the danger. Can be an expensive mistake.

Note to self: don't buy an SMH10! :eek:

Earl43P

Wrencher turned Rider
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, that 12v SMH10 cord fried my MP3 player in short order, hot and stinky!
But an adapted to 5v mini usb charges the Sena 10 just fine, but takes longer.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Isn’t the advice make sure you aren’t feeding 12v into a 5v device?

The problem is a manufacturer that uses a standard connector for a non-standard application, that may be inadvertently confused with a standard connector. And an operator that grabs the wrong lead at o'dark 30.

Like an earphone plug/jack for 12V rather than audio.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
cigarette lighter charger for the sena smh10 runs 12 volts and uses a standard phone plug
Are you are talking the standard SMH10 (helmet headset)? Did something change? I've been running the Sena10 for a few years and swap the Sena cords with with my Droid and spare USB battery all the time. It's a micro USB connector and it's 5v, just like all other micro-USB connectors. Of course Sena says you have to use their cables only, just like Garmin does, Apple does, Samsung does, but USB is USB, it's all 5v.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Are you are talking the standard SMH10 (helmet headset)? Did something change? I've been ruinning the Sena10 for a few years and swap the Sena cords with with my Droid and spare USB battery all the time. It's a micro USB connector and it's 5v, just like all other micro-USB connectors. Of course Sena says you have to use their cables only, but USB is USB, it's all 5v.
+1. That didn't make sense to me either... my SMH10 uses a standard micro-usb connector.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
but USB is USB, it's all 5v.
Yes I am talking about the standard headset and I agree that a USB 'is what it is' .... but a cigarette lighter is something totally different! The charging cord pictured in the post above was supplied with SENA dual pack and will plug into a standard telephone or tablet charging port (and some GPS units!). I sometimes take a cigarette lighter cord to charge my phone when the battery is low. If you are the same and occasionally use something in your car (or ST) don't just grab any charging cord that will fit your device. Make sure you haven't chosen the SENA cigarette lighter charging cord that was supplied with your unit. If you plug it into a device requiring 5 volts you might be unpleasantly surprised!

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If I understand you correctly you are saying that the 12v charger adapter supplied with the SMH-10 does not step 12v down to 5v?

I ask only because I have charged our SMH-10s using the USB cord and cheap 12v adapters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If you are the same and occasionally use something in your car (or ST) don't just grab any charging cord that will fit your device. Make sure you haven't chosen the SENA cigarette lighter charging cord that was supplied with your unit. If you plug it into a device requiring 5 volts you might be unpleasantly surprised!
Interesting.. doing some reading it looks like the latest round of Sena10 can charge on anything from 5~14v dc. So... yes.. this cord could be straight through.

WOW!! and Dumb!!

I would promptly be taking a pair of wire cutters to this. I'm way to negligent to always remember that this one micro USB charger is 12v and Sena only. Not only Sena only, but only the new Sena 10.

Is there a part number on the cord? I looked on their website and I see several different cords but none give such detailed specifics.

If you were charging a large device with large batteries, I could see a reason for feeding 12v to the device to recharge. But the little battery pack is a single cell lithium unit. It won't handle a quick charge that 12v might make possible. AND... if you were going to make 12v possible over USB, build in a safety feedback circuit, put out 5v until you talk to the device and know it can handle 12v. To use a standardized plug and feed it non-standardized voltage is just... DUMB!!

If I was you, cut the cord. The unit will charge just fine and as fast off of a good standard 5v usb adapter.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
If I was you, cut the cord. The unit will charge just fine and as fast off of a good standard 5v usb adapter.
I usually charge my sena with a usb cable attached to my laptop port. This cable did fry a gps before I realised what it was. I now have warranty guilt because the almost new gps was replaced by the retailer before I realised that the cable was the culprit. I had the cable carefully packed away but dug it out for the photo yesterday (and left it out). This morning I intercepted it in Cindy's hands going down the drive towards the pick-up!

Top Bottom