Bike for 16 year old.

Bike
2004 ST1300
What would be a good older bike to get my son so he could do short trips with me...less than 300 miles overnight trips.. he is 5'9"...he does have experience on a KLR650...I want shaft drive...something that can do 75mph all day...something simple and low maintence. ..he likes this 1984 Nighthawk 700S.....what do you guys think ?

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I always point an novice/non-veteran rider to a Suzuki SV650. I think the "S" has a small fairing. Nimble, reliable, quick enough but not vicious fast to get in over his head in a pressure/panic situation.

But it does not have shaft drive. I'm not sure which older mid-size bikes have shaft drive.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Love the Nighthawk 700S. Had a red white and blue one 15 years ago. Hydraulic valves, basic in line four, shaft drive. Sporty seating position. Will keep up with you no problem. They resell easy too.

ToddC

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Post 2009 KLR 650, cheap, simple, reliable, easy to work on, tough as nails, can go anywhere. I love mine.
The chain drive is a non-issue with modern chains and requires minimal care. A good x-ring chain and sprockets will last over 20k miles.
Parts and accessories abound, as well as expertise on several forums.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
With the exception of our ST's, I wouldn't look at anything older than 10 years, or you'll run into problems sourcing parts, and spend more time wrenching than riding.
Look around and find a Honda 750 Nighthawk. They are bulletproof, easy to work on, and parts are still readily available.
The Suzuki SV650 recommended above is also a good choice. If you want smaller, you can pick up the Honda 250 Nighthawks from schools for next to nothing and they are pretty reliable.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
How much does he weigh? A really large 16 y/o would need a higher cc bike, but not a bike like a 1300. If the power is there, the boy will use it and without experience and maturity, we can hope he doesn't get hurt. Think about the power to weight ratio and consider the bikes in that range. Height is one thing, but weight, athletic and riding ability should all be considered. My $0.02

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
What would be a good older bike to get my son so he could do short trips with me...less than 300 miles overnight trips.. he is 5'9"...he does have experience on a KLR650...I want shaft drive...something that can do 75mph all day...something simple and low maintence. ..he likes this 1984 Nighthawk 700S.....what do you guys think ?
You didn't mention what kind of riding you'll be doing. Canyon carving, backroad touring, highway cruising, etc. Has a lot to do with what you'll get.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
If he is a capable rider already and 5'9" --why not buy him a good used ST1300? Get a set of Sena20 communication devices so you can coach him and help keep him safe. If he can ride a smaller bike--he can handle the 1300. My son just turned 18 and this is what I am about to do (except we have the JM CB radios already)

Bike
2010 ST1300
If he is a capable rider already and 5'9" --why not buy him a good used ST1300? Get a set of Sena20 communication devices so you can coach him and help keep him safe. If he can ride a smaller bike--he can handle the 1300. My son just turned 18 and this is what I am about to do (except we have the JM CB radios already)
I agree, though the ST has a lot of power for a 16 yr old. Really depends how mature, and what kind of rider he is. There are a LOT of guys riding old Moto Guzzi's. I'm talking about mid 70's bikes and newer. They will go upwards of 200k miles, are bulletproof, can cruise all day long at supralegal speeds, some have linked braking systems, shaft drive, and parts are still available (even if dealers are thinly spread). Even better, these are naked bikes and can be repaired at the side of the road because they are relatively simple.

If shaft drive is a must have, look at the newer Guzzi's. There is a national organization, rallies, and many groups having monthly breakfasts. In many ways, MGNOC is a lot like what we have with ST's - only its older.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
If the 84 Nighthawk is mechanically sound you already have a good ride for your son, Biggest downfall is the bike's smallish fuel tank,and lack of decent wind protection. My older boys first long trip with me was with his 650 nighthawk. Granted it was only four years old at the time and he was eighteen. We crossed Pa. on interstate 80 into NY then returned on Pa rt 6. Camping at our little grand canyon. It was a three day 1000 mile trip.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Keep riding the shadow. Not a lot of choices for a shaft drive mid size bike. No new ones that I know of. My son has gone on lots of trips with me on a 650 single BMW.

Last edited:

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
If you can live with a chain drive, I'd cast a vote for the Wee Strom DL650. Maybe one of the easiest bikes to ride that I've ridden as it knows where to go before you do. Mild mannered at lower rpms but able to run if you wind it up. Bullet proof engine design and just plain reliable.

It's what Della has learned on and we've traveled across the country with it for weeks on end. Same or better fuel range than my Tenere AND it can also do light off road riding to explore gravel roads. If I was on the student budget plan, it would be my only bike.

Bike
'05 ST1300 "STinger"
I haven't seen anyone else suggest a VStrom 650 so here it is. I loved mine and many times wish I had kept it instead of getting the ST. Very easy to ride and enough power to keep up on the interstate 2 up. Mine had ABS and a Sargent seat so it was all day comfortable.

Oops, how did I miss the post directly ahead of me?

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300@2009
If he likes the custom style, why not a Suzuki Boulevard M50? 800cc, shaft drive, relatively cheap, fuel injected and comfortable for whole day rides and not bad looking.

It has more oomph than a Honda Shadow (but not too much for an unexperienced rider), handles well for a cruiser and is quite reliable/low maintenance.
suz50s_xl+2005_suzuki_boulevard_m50+ride_right_view.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom