Bike for 16 year old.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I'd probably recommend a Suzuki Vstrom 650 or Kawasaki 650 Versys or NC700 Honda, although they are all chain drive. O ring chains are very good these days. Chances are adjustment and chain lube before a trip would most likely be good for the entire trip. My buddy and I rode from Ohio to Cali and back a couple of years ago. I was on my ST, he was on a Suzuki 1000 Strom. He lubed his chain every night, but it never required adjustment on the entire trip of 5500 miles.

I do wish the mfgs would make a mid size (850-900cc) touring shafty with hydraulic valves, less than 550 lbs, with heated grips and cruise. As I get older (67 now) and the fact that I'm not a large person, downsizing is probably in my future, but I don't want to go too small. Right now I'm eyeing an NC700 or FJ 900 ( like my son has) but I'm holding out as long as I can hoping someone will make what I really want.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
If you want shaft drive, a used NT would do quite well..

There's a couple over here:
http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?42-For-Sale
The NT would be a very good choice. I have only rode one one time. It will check off all the boxes that you are looking for. It has the ST body and protection with a lot less weight and motor.
I had one blow by me in Kansas when I was doing over 75. I was impressed.
Not enough power for me. But the short ride I took on one was very nice.
A agree that a DL650 is also a very good reliable rock solid bike.

Top Bottom