Power windshield conversion

Hi all,

I just picked up a 2003 ST 1300 and I didn't realize that it did not come with a power windshield, how hard is it to convert it and where do I find the parts necessary? Thanks guys

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
If I recall, only the 2003 ABS version had the shield. You should be able to pick up the components you need on ebay from a parted-out bike.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Check with Igofar and SupraSabre. They may have ideas or parts....

ToddC

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
how hard is it to convert it and where do I find the parts necessary?
SupraSabre said:
Adding the windshield mechanism requires a lot more than just plug and play.
Unless you're very patient and have some decent skills gathering up all the bits and making sure they're good will be challenging. eBay can be your friend or your worst nightmare. Or somewhere in-between. Buying stuff brand new will tax your wallet.

I know you just got your bike but I'd consider selling it and getting an ST with a motorized windshield. But that's me.

Unless you're married to the idea of an electric 'shield you might consider settling on a height after some miles then drilling the 'shield to put it at that height. That would be an eminently practical solution.

Me— I like the shield all the way down around town on a hot day and just above my eye level when on the road. And when some four-wheeler tells me 'Yeah but you don't have A/C' I tell 'em 'I just roll down the window'. Show and Tell is fun. So with that in mind and my minimal skills I'd look for another bike.

Pretty sure there are a couple/three threads hear about conversion. You might try the Advanced Search near the upper right of the page. I seldom have luck or I'd look for a link. Good luck.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Although the powered windshield IS a really cool option, I rarely actually use it. I put the top edge of the windshield just below my line of sight, and leave it there, for the most part. The only exception is when it starts raining, and I might raise it to keep some of the precip off.

I agree with ST GUI....best idea is to sell the bike, and GET one with the electrically adjustable screen. It's a pretty complicated install/farkle.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had no idea of the value of an electric (or any adjustable) windshield when I bought my ST. Now I would have a hard time buying any bike without one. Its a must have for some of us, and others could care less.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yeah... the last time I adjusted the windshield... uhh... summer 2014 maybe? Get rid of the OEM windscreen and just ride.

STooRay

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
Yo!
Did just the same....never thought there were any models without electric screen and abs...lazy me.:eek:
Read the Calsci link.
I found it not to be difficult, and I think when I can, you can do it too. I have four thumbs....
I went with the microswitch option. Cheapest and easy.
Adjustable screen is soooo much better..:bow1:
Stu

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah... the last time I adjusted the windshield... uhh... summer 2014 maybe? Get rid of the OEM windscreen and just ride.
And on the flip side, I probably adjust mine 20 times a day! I have it at different levels, depending traffic conditions and even sometime weather! ;)

Bike
2005 st1300
I adjust mine constantly. I love it because I have it. Funny thing , my goldwing buddy has a manual adjustment that he hasnt moved in years and said he was always fine with that one setting... until he found out about electric screens when he first saw mine. Now he really wishes he had one. The moral, to the OP, is maybe give it a shot for a while and see if you can accept a single position screen, as if there wasnt any other option. Could save a lot of money and effort.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bmacleod said:
Funny thing , my goldwing buddy has a manual adjustment that he hasnt moved in years and said he was always fine with that one setting
My 'Wing buddy was exactly the same way. It's easy to be comfortable with the windshield in one position when it's inconvenient to move it. But with that handy button...

I'm just a little paranoid about using it a LOT what with the possibility of stripping the gear or tracks. Since it has to be down to put my cover on it I leave it down around town and don't raise or lower it at speed if it can possibly be avoided.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I used to move mine up and down all the time, on the move. Down for the breeze, up for protection or quiet. Then the mechanism wore out, and I discovered how much Honda wants for a replacement.

Now I typically just leave it up, and try to only adjust it when stopped or riding slowly so as not to have a wind load on the mechanism.

I would try manual adjustments first to see if I was happy stock, before going to the bother and expense of the electric retrofit.

I have both. I've never wished for electric for the 2003 - the two default positions are fine for me: down during warm months, up for cold.

With the the 2008, ive found i keep the screen at about the same positions, maybe cause the 2003 ingrained those positions :)

Bike
2005 st1300
I'm just a little paranoid about using it a LOT what with the possibility of stripping the gear or tracks
nothin' wrong with being paranoid. With the cost and parts availability to repair/replace, I feel it is one of the more important items to service, if possible. I say that after cleaning and relubing mine last year. Although there were minimal signs of wear, I noticed a big difference in the speed and smoothness of operation after getting the old, hard and dry grease out of there and get new stuff in.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bmacleod said:
I noticed a big difference in the speed and smoothness of operation after getting the old, hard and dry grease out of there and get new stuff in.
That's really something I should get 'round to doing. What did you use for 'new stuff'?

Bike
2005 st1300
That's really something I should get 'round to doing. What did you use for 'new stuff'?
white lithium grease... You can get white lithium in spray cans but it is too thin for this application. The stuff in a tube is a little thicker and the stuff in a tub or can is thicker again... thats what I used

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bmacleod said:
The stuff in a tube is a little thicker and the stuff in a tub or can is thicker again... thats what I used
That's what I used to grease the speedometer cable in my old Chevy. Any spray stuff I'd consider for just cleaning out the old dried lube.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure the gears and tracks are overdue.

Bike
03 ST1300 ABS
I have never done the lube maintenance on mine (2003 ABS). It is way past due. It is nice to be able to raise it all the way up when riding in small hail. I adjust mine according to speed to reduce the whistling noise in the helmet. The height needed varies with speed.

Top Bottom