Noticed a different aspect of darkside

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I've been working on Seawalker's electrical problem for a couple of weeks and finally got to take it on a ride today. I immediately noticed that his bike seemed harder to stand up, from the side stand. Every time I stopped during the ride, his bike seemed to want to tip easier than my bike, with a car tire. It just seemed more top heavy than mine. When I got home from the ride, I compared both bikes in the driveway. The car tire definitely wants to keep the bike upright when stopped. When riding, I really couldn't tell any difference in the ride. I never noticed the difference until I compared 2 bikes, side by side.

Ride Safe
John

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I noticed the same effect, except I noticed it when turning, on a car-tire equipped bike I test rode. The bike really didn't want to turn in and had to be pretty heavily counter-steered into the turn compared to the same bike with a normal MC tire installed. It handled like a bike with a radically worn flat profile on the rear tire. I hate this kind of non-neutral handling behavior and as a result have sworn off ever using a CT on any bike that I own. Too each their own though...

OP
OP
Nashcat

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I've had a car tire on the ST1300 and on my Wing for over 3 years and don't notice it anymore. It may be a little harder to turn in, but I never think about it when I'm riding.

John

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
What was the tire pressure that you were using?
bike really didn't want to turn in and had to be pretty heavily counter-steered into the turn
This happens went you ride with hard car tires (too much air). if you lower the pressure this effect goes away and the tire feels a bit mushy but becomes very flickable.
The mushieness gives a much softer ride and more traction/stopping power (more rubber on the road) which makes it better on gravel roads..

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

This happens went you ride with hard car tires (too much air). if you lower the pressure this effect goes away and the tire feels a bit mushy but becomes very flickable.
The mushieness gives a much softer ride and more traction/stopping power (more rubber on the road) which makes it better on gravel roads..
No idea as it wasn't my bike. Having a mushy rear tire does not sound like a solution to me, particularly if it means using less than the minimum pressure recommendation for the tire itself or the motorcycle manufacturer's recommended minimum.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #

+1 here. This week I went darkside on my VTX1800, 500 miles in three days. As I broke in the tire I was lowering the psi as the miles added up. I'm loving it! If the bike sat 2 weeks or more it's likely the psi was off.
I agree the bike rides a little different at first but soon it's great.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There is a maximum pressure recommend for a maximum weight. I have not seen any minimum numbers published. I have run my previous CT down to 12 psi. At that point I noticed that the rim slipped on a very hard acceleration. I had made marks and was checking. At 20 psi there was no slippage. So I moved up to 28 to be on the safe side. I have checked tire temperatures and they were no hotter than the hot road i was on.

My other ride is a rock Jeep CJ-7 with tires that are at 10 psi, and I have been running it that way for decades. My DRZ400 the tires are kept at 14 psi. So I am very familiar with the advantages of low tire pressure off road on rocky trails and washboard desert roads. Lower tire pressure makes rough roads feel smoother, has a better grip on the rough stuff, and better flotation!

Some off roaders 4x4 will even go to single digits in psi, but they have to use bead locks. You can get bead locks for your off road bike.

I try to get in a track day at least once a year.... From this I habitually use a body shift on all turns slow and fast. When I went to the darkside I noticed almost no difference in turning. Then I experimented by keeping my body straight when turning and noticed it was a bit harder to counter steer. Not telling anyone how to ride BUT do a track day, learn how to ride and counter steering with a car tire is buttery smooth......

Top Bottom