Current Honda deal on 2012 ST1300 ABS

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow multi-day operation - planes, hotels, food, 19 hours yikes. you have to add that to the cost of shipping...
I made that 1000 mile run up I5 and back to Portland 16 times, two daughters went to college (UP) there.

My brother took me on the back of his HD for about 1 hour 10 minutes down to Huntington Beach. I filled out papers and delivered a cashiers check and we were out the door on our way home.

What's it worth now.... Priceless!....
There's nothing like breaking a bike in over a 1,100 mile ride to get her home! :rofl1:

In August 2015, there wasn't a ST1300 in SoCal for less than $15K

Bike
'09 ST1300
I'm in a way glad Honda and their dealerships keep prices high on leftover ST 1300's, that keep used ST's more valuable. They are great bikes, well designed that will have following for many years to come. Sure, they do not have all the bells and whistles of the new bikes, but main components like motor/tranny are bulletproof, all day tourers. On top of that, fairly easy to maintain and still look great despite being almost 14 years since first 1300 rolled out here in US. As for me, don't need ESA or keyless starting, never had a problem with putting the key in the ignition.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I never had a problem rolling down windows but I wouldn't give up power windows in my next car. Though if I plunge into a river power windows may not work so there's that. But preference is strong in this one.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
if I plunge into a river power windows may not work
Actually, they probably would. Water is not a good conductor so it would take some time to short things out. Salt water is more conductive, so before you take a plunge, check to see if it's saltwater or freshwater.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Actually, they probably would.
Doesn't inspire confidence. As long as there's no microprocessor or other electronics involved, you might be right. Agreed fresh water is a poor conductor for low voltage in relatively insensitive circuitry.

Regardless I wouldn't go back to manual windows even if it were possible. Most of the auto Luddites who used to tell me 'just one more thing to go wrong' are gone.

FYI a spring-loaded center punch will easily open most car windows in fresh or salt water.

Is that fjr with cruise and heat?
Sorry, I got caught up in the Christmas hubbub and haven't been paying attention. Yes it has heated grips and cruise. I haven't paid attention lately but the dealers with that price or close to it were in the Illinois, Missouri, Ohio area.

Harry

Bike
ST1300
Just buy a used one. I bought a 2012 ST1300 this fall with 560 (really) miles on it for $4500. It has been on it's side, and has some minor blemishes, but WTH. I'm hoping to have at least 20 times that many miles on it by this time next year! :)

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
... As for me, don't need ESA or keyless starting, never had a problem with putting the key in the ignition.
I used to have similar thoughts about electric windshields--until I got my ST1300. Likewise, with ESA and keyless starting--until I got my R1200RT. Those and other additions are very useful improvements! I'm curious, have you had a bike with ESA or keyless starting? :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Honda should simplify. Eliminate the electric starter and bring back the kick starter. Less weight save cost less to go wrong. If you can't kickstart a bike you don't deserve to ride. And get rid of the LCD display! Nobody needs to know the ambient temperature. Trip computer? That's just another red wheel. Gas gauge? A reserve lever is good enough for anybody.

Simplify. Word. :rofl1:

I read somewhere that almost 50% of bike thefts in Europe were now bikes with keyless ignition. I saw a video of an actual theft taken by a security camera of a BMW being taken in less than 30 seconds.

And if you are the victim of a car jacking and your car has keyless ignition, then you will be going along for the ride until you hand over the fob
and maybe your life because the thief does not need a witness.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
To be honest, I've lost count of the number of times I've put on my waterproof oversuit, and made my way to the bike, to discover that my keys were still in an inner pocket, leading to a frustrating fumble to retrieve them.
I'm looking forward to the day when I have a bike with a proximity key, like my car has.

I also used to see no purpose for a sound system on a bike, until I owned one with it.......now I wouldn't have a distance bike without one. Likewise for cruise control (have a shark system, and a brakeaway on the ST. Not the best solution, but they serve their purpose). While I won't say I'll never buy another bike without ABS, having it is also a big plus in my book.

Horses for courses, I guess. If you choose to be a luddite, so be it. No-one has the right to say you are wrong for your personal choices. Meanwhile I'll take all the aids I can get to make my riding more enjoyable, and safer.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I read somewhere that almost 50% of bike thefts in Europe were now bikes with keyless ignition. I saw a video of an actual theft taken by a security camera of a BMW being taken in less than 30 seconds.

And if you are the victim of a car jacking and your car has keyless ignition, then you will be going along for the ride until you hand over the fob
50%, so basically, no worse than those without........and can be a lot easier to kill the bike remotely, to render it useless to the thief.

No more, no less vulnerable to theft, especially to a determined and knowledgeable thief. But easier to use everyday. Sounds like a plus to me.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Fatjock said:
To be honest, I've lost count of the number of times I've put on my waterproof oversuit, and made my way to the bike, to discover that my keys were still in an inner pocket, leading to a frustrating fumble to retrieve them.
Same here but I'll never admit to that. Oh wait... :facepalm:

Fatjock said:
I'm looking forward to the day when I have a bike with a proximity key, like my car has.
+1

Fatjock said:
I also used to see no purpose for a sound system on a bike, until I owned one
I added a Vetter Cycle Sound to my GL1000 for a few years before selling the bike. I agree about adding sound but for me it needs to be in the helmet. At speed the audio became barely recognizable unless very loud. I got tired of having to turn it down on surface streets. Even at lower volumes it was annoying to others on the road. But having a Sena and compatible phone are a definite plus.

The idea small FM radio (for my local traffic/news/weather) paired to the Sena is under consideration. My buddies and I were recently caught in some very heavy traffic that might have been avoided. WAZE and traffic functions of GPS could work but for less than longer distances or just meandering they're more work than I care for.

If my next bike (if there is one) has cruise control I wouldn't not use it. Two trips to MT convinced me that a throttle lock makes me happy. A Go-Cruise is on the bike now but a Vista-Cruise may take it's place.

longranger said:
Yeah I'll take my chances with that.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Andrew Shadow said:
I thought that the Sena has an FM tuner built in to it?
Indeed it does but the sensitivity isn't all that great possibly because of the lack of antenna. FM radios usually used the earphone cord as an antenna. The Sena uses either the little teeny tiny flip up antenna or the wire that connects the two speakers. I ran that wire over the top of my head in the event that my noggin blocks the signal when heading towards a transmitter.

Another consideration is the jog dial. It's got a learning curve that's a little steeper than I like. If I commuted there'd be some memory built up but I don't. There's still research for me to do but a separate radio with an easily accessed mechanical UI and BT dongle might be easier to use from time to time.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I would love having a bike with a proximity fob. Thought it was a useless idea. My wife's new car has that feature and I love it. I like cruise control so much on my Goldwing that I put electronic cruise control on my CBR 1100XX. What a difference! I use a SENA 20S for comms and music. I have stock speaker boxes with speakers on the ST 1300 but have no idea why or what was ever offered so they could be put to use.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom