Just got my Russel Day Long seat

Bike
2004 ST1300
I was very skeptical and it was hard to justify spending that much, but I took my first ride on it....and realized after my ride was over...I didn't even think about my butt the whole ride...I was just having my normal thought pattern of....Food...hunting....fishing ...Food.....It was great.....time will tell though, but so far....its better.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
High marks when something does its job without notice until later when you notice it was doing its job all along.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Russell says that you should ride the saddle for 500 miles before passing judgement, but mine was great right out of the box. It's still great 125,000 miles later. The best money I've spent on my ST.

I got very lucky when I found a used (looked new) RDL for $500... Was built for a guy exactly my size... So on my initial ride my thoughts were of why did I spend so much (to me) money on this? Got home after maybe 500 miles hopped of the ST, went inside and was thinking I was missing something....... "Light Bulb Moment"....... Well you can guess that I was missing a sore arce.... Worth the $1.00/mile that first ride.. After 4 years I'm down to $0.0083/mile....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
+100. I had 200,000+ miles on my original. I liked it so well I went back and had it refurbed and had them build me an extra one!

http://www.unclephil.us/California2016Home.htm
I still have my original, but I'm using a heated one I bought off the forum for my commutes and then had a new one built just before my brother and I did our Wild West tour to WeSTOC 2016!

After putting over 200K miles on it, I might sell or have the original rebuilt. Just not sure yet!

I must be the only person happy with the stock seat on my St1300. I ride about 110 miles a day 3-4 days a week. No complaints.
You probably are among the FEW! I did a 1,200 mile ride with my stock saddle, I almost died coming home. I couldn't sit for a week! :eek:4:

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I have had my bike for 1 season. My only complaint..... The stock seat sucks! If the Russel seat is as good as most say, the money would be worth it.
:plus1: on stock seat (just be glad you don't have to ride on the pillion seat; it's worse!)

:plus1: on the Russell Day Long.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Begs the question - WHY can't Honda put some thought and money into a decent seat in the first place, when they build the rest of the machine to be a world class mile muncher?? Surely the volume of seats needed would drastically lower the production costs. Seems they already do that for the Gold Wing.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I just contacted Russell about doing my GTL seat and was told that they are scheduling into March at this time. Holy Cow.

Sent using Tapatalk

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I just contacted Russell about doing my GTL seat and was told that they are scheduling into March at this time. Holy Cow.

Sent using Tapatalk
That's not bad, for RDL. When I made my purchase, about six years ago November, I was given a build date of April-May of the following year. I think it actually arrived in March.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I can almost flat foot my bike with the seat in the lowest setting (stock seat). I've driven my r1100rt for years with one foot flat and tip toes on the other side. I have a 29" inseam. Would I even be able to touch ground with a RDL? Could they make it low enough and still comfortable? I did a 950 plus day last July and felt violated when I stopped. :eek:

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was very skeptical and it was hard to justify spending that much, but I took my first ride on it....and realized after my ride was over...I didn't even think about my butt the whole ride...I was just having my normal thought pattern of....Food...hunting....fishing ...Food.....It was great.....time will tell though, but so far....its better.
Congrats, Had mine for a year and wife's for 3 years. Might use the Spencerized seat on short rides,100 miles or so but the Russell will take me from tank to tank non stop. Wish my bladder would. We are nearly neighbors. Will probably catch you on Hwy 68 someday.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I am one of the few that did OK with the stock seat. It was on the really long rides that I noticed that it did not breath. So I got the Alaska leather Sheep skin and all was much better. It took me a long time to justify a better seat. I visited Rocky Meyer in Ventura and got his custom seat. It is much better than the stock seat and it is lower than the Russell day long and I can easily flat foot it, perfect for daily commuting. Later a Russel seat showed up for sale here, Thanks to The Dan, so I bought it, It fits me perfectly and is what everyone says about it. It is harder to get your feet down because of the wings, so I am on the ball of my feet instead of flat footing. But it is so much better for the iron butt runs....

I also use the Sheep skin on both seats, Rocky and day long, because it really helps remove bottom side perspiration.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom