Alternator leaks

Recently bought 2006 1300 and I love it. When I got it the owner told me about an oil leak around the alternator (according to his mechanic) VERY SLOW like a drop a day. My questions are has anyone else had this problem? And, is replacing the seal a difficult job?

Thanx All

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Yes, I had the o-ring fail at the alternator. Is replacing it difficult. Depends how comfortable you are in removing the throttle bodies. Not hard but time consuming.

I was unable to determine that it was in fact the o-ring, until I actually removed it. The alternator that is. Even with a bore scope you could not see where my oil was coming from and it was causing a small stream running out of the square hole when the engine was running.

Based on my situation, the mechanic is "good" if he can tell it is only a drop a day.

Are you seeing oil or any kind of seepage from the square hole or on the ground on the right front side of the engine?

It could be coolant mixed with grime that he/you are also seeing from loose coolant clamps in the "V".

I would start there, tightening up the clamps.

Kevin

OP
OP
Thanks for the input Kevin. Unfortunately, the snow is coming back tomorrow so I won't be doing any wrenching for a bit. I'll post how it turns out when I can get to it.

Top Bottom