Recommendations for tanklock bags

Hi guys

looking for a recommendation on a good tank bag that is locked to the tank. Looking for at least a 25/30 litre and would prefere one that is locked to the tank rather than magnet.

I was looking at the Oxford Q30R but I couldn't find the tank bracket for it. Maybe I'm just blind. Any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Be advised that a tank bag that big is going to hit the horn button when you're maneuvering in parking spaces, etc.

I have the SW-Motech QuickLock EVO DayPack (5L, expands to 9L) and it still hits the horn button occasionally. But I'm surprised at how much crap I can fit into such a small bag. They do make much larger bags. Here is one place you can look.

The SW-Motech tank ring mounting system is top-notch. I've never had a problem with it. Their bags aren't cheap, but work as advertised and never touch the tank paint.

Good luck with the search.

OP
OP
Thanks for the advice. Reason I’m looking for a bigger one is itll be myself and the better half travelling Europe for two weeks. I have a drone so want to have that in an easy access location so I don’t need to have to get off the bike to open up the top box etc. Then carry a few small bits too.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
+1 on the SW Motech tank-lock bags.

I've got the EVO Daypack and the larger City model and they are both good. As stated above, they aren't cheap - but the design is brilliant, the quality is superb, they stay put and are easy to remove and they do not touch the paint at all. Here are a couple of photos of the City bag on my bike.

AE1852C9-B228-46C7-8230-4F2A1091D40F.jpg
9ED9DFDA-18D2-4EFF-A044-A2D661267AD5.jpg

After some use, I have found that the City does occasionally bump the windscreen up-down button when maneuvering in parking lots (NOT while riding - only while duck walking - with the bars positioned at full left lock), but on many trips and day-to-day riding, I have had zero issues of any safety concern.

The problem is that the ST1300 tank is an odd shape and so few tank bags really fit perfectly. The occasional harmless button-bump when walking the bike - is a price I'm willing to pay for the unrivalled convenience of a tank bag.

Pete

Last edited:

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have two 'Bags Connection' brand tank bags from my FJR and bikes prior. These use the tank cap lock ring system and are high priced bags. Unfortunately neither will fit the ST without interfering with the horn etc when the bars on full turn.

I would like to know if there is a ring lock type bag that works without the above problems. So far I am unaware of such.

D

Bike
2010 ST1300
My SW-Motech bag came with the attachment separate from the bag. You engage the bag's locking ring on the tank's ring and then move the bag around to get the right position. Mark it, and drill holes to fasten the ring assembly to the bottom of the bag. I use the smallest - day pack I think. I love it.

Note these bags, in spite of the high cost, are not waterproof. They give you a rain cover. I bought the large map pocket. Worth every penny.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Thanks SMSW. I will find my bags and see if they can be modified. If I could move them rearward, that would be great. My bags also need to slip on cover in the wet.

Cheers, D

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Just to be clear - neither of my SW Motech bags have ever touched the horn button on my bike. They have only ever impinged on the windscreen up-down button and ONLY when the bars are over to the full left-lock position so that is simply not a concern while under way on the road. I should point out that I have an MCL bar-riser block installed and that likely affects the geometry somewhat.

While technically, it isn't ideal to have a piece of luggage interfere with a vehicle control, IMO touching the up-down button in a parking lot is pretty harmless.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
A taller bag, the Givi 3D604 barely interferes with my controlls. The Tank-Lok (Givi) system is easy on-off. Now it's 15L and not 25-30.

It held my CamlBak water bottle for gatorade, a CamlBak bladder for water, and still plenty of room for a bottle of soda, camera, snacks, and misc. electrical things. If I stopped for dinner I would pop the GPS out of the mount and throw it in the bag, then grab the whole bag and go in to eat.

OP
OP
Have you a part number for the tank lock as when I try to google them they don’t exist. Was it an other model Honda you bought it for. Any pics?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Have you a part number for the tank lock as when I try to google them they don’t exist. Was it an other model Honda you bought it for. Any pics?
Ya talking to me?? ;)

Give Givi Tanklock Flange BF03 a try. Fits the US model ST1300, imagine yours would be the same.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Go to Twisted Throttle and check out their SW Motech bags and mounting hardware. Had it on my Monster for five years. Expensive, but worth it.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Just wondering for those with the SW-Moto tank lock bags and the Givi tank lock bags do you have heli bars installed? I am really considering the helibars for comfort and just wondering if this will increase the issue of the bag bumping buttons on the handlebars?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Other than bumping the horn button is a tank bag (in particular the SW-Moto) is bumping the bars an issue?

I am not a lock-to-lock guy so a small bag shouldn't be an issue but the template mentioned earlier should fix the horn problem.

No SW-Moto here but I do have the Helibars Gen 3. As I recall besides moving up and back I *think* the site implied the grip angle being changed. I measured the grips end to end before and after and the distances seemed exactly the same.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Hi guys

looking for a recommendation on a good tank bag that is locked to the tank. Looking for at least a 25/30 litre and would prefere one that is locked to the tank rather than magnet.

I was looking at the Oxford Q30R but I couldn't find the tank bracket for it. Maybe I'm just blind. Any recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.
I have this one on my Monster:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-engage-evo-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

Would recommend this one for the ST:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-bags-connection-non-electric-quick-lock-evo-trial-tankbag

Great stuff, expensive, will last forever. The locking system is also expensive, also superb.

Top Bottom