Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Long Awaited ABS conversion

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Re: Long Awaited ABS conversion

Hi Tony

Well done on getting so far. Can I suggest an interim safety modification when you are doing the wiring ?

Just as an interim measure, you may wish to consider what might happen if something goes wrong when testing. As I undesrtand it, the system decides that one or other of the wheels is locking up by comparing the rotational speed of the front and rear wheels. The wheels do rotate at different speeds anyway, as they are different diameters, but the computer is able to take this into account from the signals from the sensors/ pulsar ring.

What i am thinking is this - what if, when you go out to do your tests, you apply your brakes and the system decides that without locking up, for whatever reason, the two wheels are not turning at the same speed ? Will it then activate the abs and prevent you from stopping properly ? Normally, the abs stops pulsing as soon as the wheels start turning at the same speed - which the system has already decided they are not, so it may well keep the modulators turning and releasing the pressure on the brakes.

It may be that the abs system will not arm itself if this is the case, but you may want to consider an emergency 'kill' relay that effectively cuts power to the modulators or the system, so that you can stop. It would need to be substantial - the modulators draw a significant current.

Of course It may not be necessary - i dont know how long it takes to stop the bike with the modulators pulsing continuously when braking - and it may be me just being over- cautious, but thought I would mention it anyway. You know how I work !

John

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 Pan Euro St 130
    Tip Overs
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Hi john,
    nice to hear from you , I do remember how you work mate , and its safety first . And you are right !

My thoughts on the tests to do involve :

- jack the bike off the ground . spin both wheels , apply brakes . With one hand on the either the front and rear pedal / lever , and the other on the modulator, to see What happens when I brake . I am firstly expecting to feel movement / vibration in each modulator.

This is would be the first test.

the next would involve taking the bike out on the road ( in the dry ) and testing at different speeds to see how it's feels & handles with straight line braking and see what feedback I get.

the final test is to take it to a MOT station and re MOT the bike to see if the tester finds any faults on his rolling road.

apart from that , I am not sure what else I can do ?

The relay sounds like a good idea , in case . but this will make the abs system useless ... Unless I have read what you have written wrongly.

Thoughts anyone ?

regards

tony
    Last edited by technotony007; 01-14-2018 at 03:37 PM.

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Long Awaited ABS conversion

What does the MOT test?
    Putting my legislators hat on for a moment:
    Is there a possibility they can deny you the right to license it?

Only thinking about the notion of “off road use only” kind of restriction. It wasn’t an ABS bike before ergo it must not be modified to have ABS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DavidR8; 01-14-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    David
    STOC 8968
    2005 w/ factory topbox

Bike
    2005 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Is the ST a two-channel system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by technotony007 View Post

The relay sounds like a good idea , in case . but this will make the abs system useless ... Unless I have read what you have written wrongly.

tony

I was simply suggesting installing temporary switches which could effectively stop the modulators from operating while you were riding the bike for the first time. That way, if it turned out that they did operate continuously when the brakes are applied, you could throw the switch to get your brakes back. The relays would be necessary as i think the modulators draw 10 amps each. ( or there may be another line you could intercept ). Once proved, the switch / relay could be removed. It would require a separate switch for each modulator - or just one for the front - so that you could at least bring the bike to a halt.

I am assuming this would be a safe way of doing it - the modulators have a fuse each. If one ever blew when riding, the brakes would still have to operate. Turning off the power to the modulators would be like the fuse blowing.

As i said before, i dont know how quickly the bike will stop if the modulator kicks in and continues to release the brake pressure. ***

You could probably achieve the same result by tying a chord around the appropriate fuse and if necessary, yanking it out !!!

*** i could imagine that this might happen, if, for example the pulsar ring was mounted slightly excentrically which resulted in marginally longer / shorter intervals between successive pulses. The ecu may assume a locked wheel and activate the modulator.

All theoretical musings, you understand.
    Last edited by jfheath; 01-15-2018 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Repeated section removed. Small ipad, big fingers.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 Pan Euro St 130
    Tip Overs
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

[QUOTE=DavidR8;2059735]What does the MOT test?
    Putting my legislators hat on for a moment:
    Is there a possibility they can deny you the right to license it?

Only thinking about the notion of “off road use only” kind of restriction. It wasn’t an ABS bike before ergo it must not be modified to have ABS?

Hi david,
    In the UK every 12 months , ( unless its new , for the first three years) we have to put our vehicles through a MOT . Ministry of transport test. The test proves the vehicle is road worthy to an acceptable standard. Its tests the lights , brakes, straightness, and functions of the vehicle.

I imagine you must have the same in Canada?

I noticed your from Victoria , nice place ... i have been there a few times working. The bars i remember legends, sticky wicket ,oyster hunting at nanaimo ,etc.
    Last edited by technotony007; 01-15-2018 at 02:15 AM.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 Pan Euro St 130
    Tip Overs
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jfheath View Post
    I was simply suggesting installing temporary switches which could effectively stop the modulators from operating while you were riding the bike for the first time. That way, if it turned out that they did operate continuously when the brakes are applied, you could throw the switch. The relays would be necessary as i think they draw 10 amps each. ( or there may be another line you could interecpt ). Once proved, the switch / relay could be removed. It would require a separate switch for each modulator - or just one for the front - so that you could at least bring the bike to a halt.

I am assuming this would be a safe way of doing it - the modulators have a fuse esch. If this ever blew when riding, the brakes would still have to operate. Turning off the power to the modukators would be like the fuse blowing.

I am assuming this would be a safe way of doing it - the modulators have a fuse esch. If this ever blew when riding, the brakes would still have to operate. Turning off the power to the modukators would be like the fuse blowing.

As i said before, i dont know how quickly the bike will stop if the modulator kicks in and continues to release the brake pressure. *** If it is acceptable for the test, then you needn't worry about switches. I was simply meaning having a switch which could effectively stop the modulators from operating. That way, if it turned out that they did operate continuously when the brakes are applied, you could throw the switch. The relays would be necessary as i think they draw 10 amps each. ( or there may be another line you could interecpt ). Once proved, the switch / relay could be removed.

You could probably achieve the same result by tying a chord around the appropriate fuse and if necessary, yanking it out !!!

*** i could imagine that this might happen, if, for example the pulsar ring was mounted slightly excentrically which resulted in marginally longer / shorter intervals between successive pulses. The ecu may assume a locked wheel and activate the modulator.

All theoretical musings, you understand.

Ah yes john , i see what mean now. I think first i will disconnect the modulators , test the brakes first. ( non ABS mode.) ,Prove the system first.

Then reconnect the modulators and try and rig something as you suggest...... that's a good direct to take..

I think its a night in the garage again , rigging the electrics back together with the new harness , so i should be able, to see what i apply as you say , something quickly switchable and the fuses i think.

Much appreciate your thoughts john ....

+ New Posts
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234