Winter projects

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Old Man Winter has likely set in for those of us who get snow and other such nonsense.

What winter projects do you have lined up for your trusty STeed?

Me?
I have a parking brake and STS turn signal waiting for me to install.

I'm still working through the list of to-do's so here goes:
Fix valve cover gasket leak

Grease the rear drive splines

Flush and refill brake and clutch fluid

If I get really brave I'll pull the forks and R&R the fork oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, I'm in the middle of mine over the Christmas break... ST1100 carb rebuild (small fuel leak somewhere) coupled with associated vacuum tubing and water hose replacements.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, it depends on which bike!

2012 - Someday I might get to installing the breakaway throttle lock on it. Otherwise, it's doing just fine!
2010 - Still waiting for me to get back to it to replace the clutch and waterpump. Sometime after the first of the year.
2004#2 - It needs some maintenance, but as long as it is running, I'll just keep commuting/abusing it.
2004#1 - Still waiting for me to do the waterpump on it! (it's been real patient, it's been sitting for three years in my lawnmower shed! :eek:4:
2006 - It's still a basketcase and probably won't change status anytime soon! ;)

Bike
04 ST1300
Old Man Winter has likely set in for those of us who get snow and other such nonsense.

What winter projects do you have lined up for your trusty STeed?

Me?
I have a parking brake and STS turn signal waiting for me to install.

I’m still working through the list of to-do’s so here goes:
Fix valve cover gasket leak

Grease the rear drive splines

Flush and refill brake and clutch fluid

If I get really brave I’ll pull the forks and R&R the fork oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What kind of grease does one apply to the rear wheel splines. I am thinking of doing that in april/may. Thanks

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Honda Moly 60 is what used to be specified, if you went to a Honda dealer. It's no longer available, and has been replaced by Honda M-77 Assembly Paste. I am including parts of two pages from the Service Manual that show you what you should be using on the final drive. You will have to decide what to use.

Attachments

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have to clean all the red dust I've accumulated from my summer on Prince Edward Island. There are some cracks in the Tupperware that I have to address. The rear cowl has the biggest issue with regards to a fatigue crack. I have a top box that needs a lot of TLC. I need to resolve an issue with a controller of my PIAA lights. I plan to install some carbon fibre tape on my Corbin seat so that it will become a heated seat and I may opt to recover it with new leather. I might sew up some inner pannier bags. I might do the red wire bypass. I have to check the condition of my brake pads and possibly replace. My rims need to be cleaned up and repainted. Go over my electrical connectors to make sure they're clean and tight. I have to reinstall my seat lock, that may involve removing my rear fender. Cleaning and waxing all the Tupperware pieces. There's enough to keep me busy for many weeks to come. All the fluids, timing belt, coolant hoses were changed last year so I'm good for awhile.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
ST :
Rewire GPS power supply with ChinaVasion wiring instead of Garmin

Add boots to front shocks , change fork oil

Goldwing :

Rewire GPS power supply to ChinaVasion wiring instead of Garmin

Add voltmeter

Bike
2010 ST-1300
ST- Add fuzeblock, heated grips and driving lights. Check valve shims. Flush clutch and brake fluids. Change air cleaner and sync throttle body. Clean and lube engine cut-off switch and others. On my RT I need to swap the transmission. I'll also change the clutch disc and lube the spline when it's apart. F-650 I need fork seals, update to mosfet VR, battery, new brake hoses, rear tire, chain and sprockets, new rear turn signals. Might just sell it as is instead. Wife's F-800st I plan on adding driving lights.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Install Kaoko throttle lock. Strip all plastics and go through the ground connectors looking for trouble. If I feel ambitious, run some tubing to further protect my added wiring from heat, vibration, abrasion, and pinches, but only after I run through the full tank of fuel currently on board. Maybe take off the riser blocks installed by the OO, just to see what the thing feels like in the original configuration.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
Rebuild front forks with new RaceTech springs, All Balls bushings and seals. Flush and bleed brakes and clutch. Install LED front marker lights and adjust LED headlight beam pattern. Sync starter valve circuits.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Just do some routine stuff :

1.) Remove swing arm & clean and grease swing arm bearings and replace alternator, replace trans output shaft seal, swing arm boot, and replace u-joint. ( Of course lube splines ).
2.) Remove carbs, check carb diaphrams, clean carb passages with Gumout spray, replace carb needles & seats, check float levels, and replace carb rubber mounts.
3.) Replace coolant elbows, head coolant hoses, and install MotoRad thermostat. Drain coolant and replace with 30% antifreeze solution & 6 oz. of Water Wetter. See second post at : http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/coolant-cocktail-a-more-efficient-cooling-system/
4.) Replace ignition switch.
5.) Replace wheel bearings, front & rear.
6.) Drain, flush and replace brake and clutch fluid with synthetic fluid.
7.) Change oil & filter.
8.) Install Evitek LED head lamps.

Then ride bike until I hit the 110K mile mark. Then sell bike, probably in 2020 and replace with used DCT 2018 Honda Gold Wing, but I'll still be on this Forum. I will be squirrelling away a down payment until then. Please don't mention this to the Boss.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Sort out coolant issue-done
Adjust side stand-done
Install Helibars-done
Change air filter
Sort out wobble/drift
Change oil in rear end
Change oil & filter, add synthetic
Work on heat issues

Put the plastic back on and ride as much as possible, got three weeks of vacation left.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
All caught up with the bikes....I dislike working in the garage on uncomfortable days. This being north Texas, there will be plenty of riding opportunities this winter.
Soooooo...my projects for the winter are replacing the patio cover, living room/bedroom furniture and repainting the living room.
If I have a good opportunity to get started, I will roll an old timer out of the shed and get started on a restoration.

Bike
ST1300

Nice idea. Thanks for the pics.
I'll add that to my list.
A little heat from the Mapp gas and channel locks worked wonders. I've only tried it a couple of times but I don't have to search or look for the side stand.

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Honda Moly 60 is what used to be specified, if you went to a Honda dealer. It's no longer available, and has been replaced by Honda M-77 Assembly Paste. I am including parts of two pages from the Service Manual that show you what you should be using on the final drive. You will have to decide what to use.
I normally just use , copperslip , or neversieze , or lithum gease...

Top Bottom