Winter projects

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Going to replace water pump, have the parts, may replace the clutch or just the springs, will see, I have the springs will have to get a look at plates (108k) and readjust the steering head tapered bearings I put in in at 100k, a little on the loose side. New front tire PR4GT. Not to much, did all wheel bearings at 100k. Will do early spring, waiting for driveway to dry out. :06biker:

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
An ABS upgrade, stainless steel boltings as i go ,powder coating front and rear subframe, front and rear dash cams, change fluids.

i was going to paint my engine , and powder coat frame,but i will do this next year.:cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
An ABS upgrade, stainless steel boltings , powder coating front and rear subframe, front and rear dash cams.

i was going to paint my engine , and powder coat frame,but i will do this next year.:cool:
Dang!
Powder coat the frames. For what purpose: protect from corrosion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
09 ST1300
Well this winter the STeed approached 146000 kms. Things I did so far this winter:
Replaced driveshaft ujoint
lubed driveshaft splines
cleaned and packed swingarm bearings
shift linkage cleaned and pivot point greased
brake pedal pivot cleaned and greased
rear stop lamp switch adjusted
center and sidestand pivot points serviced
valve clearances checked and a few adjusted to get into spec (just on the edge of the tolerances but wanted them more inside the spec window)
oil and filter change
front wheel bearings/seals replaced
fork bushings and seals replaced, also fluid replaced
final drive fluid changed
thermostat and o-ring replaced (seems to have been taking a bit longer to hit 3 bars last few rides)
coolant replaced
intake manifold boots replaced (the old ones were very brittle and cracked - found a couple leaking vacuum. What a huge difference now at idle and tip-in throttle)
throttle body starter valve sync (sucked the fluid out of my "new and improved" motion pro manometer - again. Gaawwd I hat that thing)
small coolant tee fitting clamps were leaking - replaced with oetiker stepless clamps - these work great and dont deform the hose and fitting

Now to start on the Wee Strom lol

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
"new and improved" motion pro manometer - again. Gaawwd I hat that thing
Do tell! I will be in the market in the future for some sort of tool to use for syncing. Haven't decided whether or not to go electronic. I would appreciate knowing if I should scratch this one from the list.

Bike
09 ST1300
Do tell! I will be in the market in the future for some sort of tool to use for syncing. Haven't decided whether or not to go electronic. I would appreciate knowing if I should scratch this one from the list.
Personally I would scratch the Motion Pro off the list. I think Larry (Igofar) will agree also. The fluid is just too easily sucked right out if you are not really careful and you must go through a calibration each time before use. I am looking into either the electronic one or the Morgan Carbtune unit. I do like the electronic one in that it comes in a 6 channel model, incase I need to use it on a 6 cylinder, but I like the simplicity of the Morgan. Everyone that has either one has good things to say about them so I guess I can't go wrong whichever I choose.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Winter 2017 has only been here 5 days now - you mean you've done all these things to your STeed already?

intake manifold boots replaced (the old ones were very brittle and cracked - found a couple leaking vacuum. What a huge difference now at idle and tip-in throttle)
I'm curious what are the intake manifold boots on the ST1300? I wasn't even aware that it even has an intake manifold, since it has a separate throttle body for each cylinder. Come to think of it, I don't know offhand of any motorcycle that has an intake manifold, but what I know or don't know about motorcycles that I've never owned isn't all that much.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Personally I would scratch the Motion Pro off the list. I think Larry (Igofar) will agree also. The fluid is just too easily sucked right out if you are not really careful and you must go through a calibration each time before use. I am looking into either the electronic one or the Morgan Carbtune unit. I do like the electronic one in that it comes in a 6 channel model, incase I need to use it on a 6 cylinder, but I like the simplicity of the Morgan. Everyone that has either one has good things to say about them so I guess I can't go wrong whichever I choose.
+1 on the Morgan Carbtune. It's a breeze to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1300
Still riding her almost everyday - UK weather!

To do
Front brakes, pad and fluid change
Repaint - wheels, sidestand and centre stand, fuel filler cap, topbox mounting plate, footpeg hangers & frame (silver visible parts)
Possibly paint the dull black sections of the paniers gloss to match the undertrays and 'wing tips'

Anyone know the paint code for the dark gray rocker covers?

Done
Rear brake
Rear shock preload
'5 Way' clean out
Oil & filter change
Led switchback front indicators

Then i should be ready and looking good to start my IAM Advanced course in March - very much excited!

IMG_5378.jpg

Top Bottom