Garmin or Tom Tom?

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I have a garmin zumo 660lm on my wing and on the mighty ST 1300, when at a restaurant I hang my helmet over the gps. over night at the motel I usually take it off the bike but sometimes it is hidden under the half cover. I stlll carry paper map with me and sometimes I just se t gps for the compass

Last edited:

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I’m going to try a Tom Tom rider next— simply because I hate the garmin basecamp program with a passion!
No need to change hardware to get a different route planner. There are several free software applications like Tyre, or Route Converter, which I use, that allow you to build your route using waypoints then export the route to your choice of hardware in the required file format, whether that be .gpx for Garmin or .kml for a Chinavision Rage.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
No need to change hardware to get a different route planner. There are several free software applications like Tyre, or Route Converter, which I use, that allow you to build your route using waypoints then export the route to your choice of hardware in the required file format, whether that be .gpx for Garmin or .kml for a Chinavision Rage.
After being bikeless for the last year, I don’t have a gps currently. I have something of a love/hate relationship with garmin what with multiple failed digitizers, balky software, and corroded cradles on several units..... the forced switch to basecamp just flat out pissed me off!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No need to change hardware to get a different route planner. There are several free software applications like Tyre,
I took a quick look at your Tyre link and it appears to run on the Mac (since it's displayed on an iMac) as does Route Converter.

What map do you use to map a route before exporting? The Gold version of Tyre lets you use Google maps.

My 'Wing and ST buddies use a R-M atlas to plan trips but loading up a route and plugging it into a GPS (he has a small Garmin I think on the Wing / Navigator on the BMW) would be pretty cool and convenient.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
What map do you use to map a route before exporting? The Gold version of Tyre lets you use Google maps.
The free version of MyRouteApp lets you use Google maps, OpenStreetMap, or Michelin. The Gold version adds TomTom, HERE, and OpenCycleMap.

You can export to ITN, GPX, KML, KMZ, TPF, and TRF for loading into your GPS.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The free version of MyRouteApp lets you use Google maps, OpenStreetMap, or Michelin. The Gold version adds TomTom, HERE, and OpenCycleMap.

You can export to ITN, GPX, KML, KMZ, TPF, and TRF for loading into your GPS.
Thanks! That's extremely helpful.

Top Bottom