Garmin or Tom Tom?

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I've been strictly a map person but I'm thinking seriously about entering the world of gps on the bike. Trying to decide which one. Looking for recommendations and discussion of why you like or don't like yours. Specifically which model do you have. Also I've read about people who plan routes on their computer and then download them to the gps unit. I've online chatted with Garmin and looked at the Tom Tom Manual online. Neither seem to have that capability Was I dreaming? Finally I'd there a way to lock the unit onto the bike? I can't see taking it off every time I stop to eat or go th o the bathroom. I appreciate any help you can offer.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
GPS's are much like oil and tires. Lots of different opinions. Usually based on what someone is familiar with, not necessarily based on equal usage of each. I will give you my opinion but it is only that.....my opinion. I prefer TT, but maybe that is because I am more used to it, although I have also used Garmin. First, you need to decide what you want the unit to do. There are several smartphone apps that work just fine as GPS units. Eg. CoPilot, Osmand, Kurviger, etc. Even Google maps. Maybe you don't need to spend hundreds on a MC specific unit when these are available for a few dollars.

Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.
- It used to be that TT was more useful in Europe and Garmin in NA. Not sure that applies anymore.
- Both Garmin and TT sell MC specific units. ie. Waterproof and vibration proof. lockable, etc.
- Both have units that you can download routes to but not all models are capable of doing this.
- In my hands, the TT I use refreshes/calculates quicker than Garmin but, I stress, that is my experience only with the units I use. TT920 and Zumo 550 & 765
- There are several programs that allow you to create routes on your PC and then load them onto the unit. I use a program call Tyre to Travel. It is free and very easy to use. It will work in either Garmin or TT format. They also have a cloud based app (MyRoute) that I use pretty much exclusively now. They are in the Beta test phase of a smartphone nav app and so far it looks like it will be a winner.
- both have updatable maps.

- So.... you have to decide what you want the unit to do and then you can start to narrow your search. eg. Does it need to bluetooth to your helmet speakers, do you ant MP3, phone connectivity, intercom connectivity, turn by turn with street names, etc.

Good luck with your search but I advise you to do your homework. There are lots of discontinued units that work very well that you can get for pennies on the dollar. You do not need to buy the latest and greatest. I favor the TT920. Does everything I want, and came with free Europe maps which was important to me. But it is "old". I play with the smartphone apps, and I use a Garmin now and then (765 and 550), but I find myself going back to the TT 920 most of the time when I travel. Probably because I am familiar with how to use its capabilities.

-
-
-

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Several riders here use the Chinavision GPS, which is a generic tablet running Windows CE. This GPS is waterproof and costs less than either a Garmin or a TomTom. The software is called IGO Primo and is similar to software installed in late model automobiles.

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I've only used a Garmin Zumo 550. It's an old model. But you can still find used ones. It is a motorcycle specific GPS. Shock and water resistant and cones with powered motorcycle mount w/hardware and a powered car mount too. Base camp(Garmin mapping software for pc) does allow you to make a route on your computer and upload it to your device. You can also ride all day a d it gives you the option to turn your current "track" into a route t9 be saved to the device. One of the biggest drawbacks to the 550 is that it has much smaller memory than newer units. The fix is to put an sd card in the memory slot to add space, but it's a process to add the maps to the card and device. My understanding is that all of the more current Garmin devices have much more memory. The screen is also smaller than some of the current models.

I have ridden through thunderstorms with my 550, which I purchased in 2007. I also crashed my 1st mc(1994 CBR 600F2) with the GPS mounted with no damage. . (To the GPS). I let go of the bike once it laid down, but it slid under a guardrail at 40mph+/- and destroyed the front forks, blew apart the upper cowl, and chipped the front wheel. I only got a small rash from my jacket twisting on my arm upon impact with the ground(wearing leathers).

Again, this is the only GPS I've ever used, so I'm partial.

I added a few pics of it mounted. The 1st one is when I had my 2004 CBR 600F4i, the other 2 are on my ST:)

The 1st pic also shows the GPS before I replaced the digitizer ($8). It's the plastic touch screen that covers the LCD.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Both systems have their strengths and weaknesses.
- It used to be that TT was more useful in Europe and Garmin in NA. Not sure that applies anymore.
- Both Garmin and TT sell MC specific units. ie. Waterproof and vibration proof. lockable, etc.
- Both have units that you can download routes to but not all models are capable of doing this.
- In my hands, the TT I use refreshes/calculates quicker than Garmin but, I stress, that is my experience only with the units I use. TT920 and Zumo 550 & 765
I've never had my hands on a Tom-Tom - but I researched them when I went for my Garmin Zumo 590. I've previously owned the Zumo 550 and 660, and got to know them extremely well. So much so that the reviews that I have read seem to merely scratch the surface of their abilities, rather than giving them a proper workout. The same has to be said for the manuals. They are Ok for describing what they do at a basic level, but rubbish at giving you the detail that you really need to know. They also frequently get things wrong.

If ddrod has the time and knows the TomTom quite well, maybe we could put together a decent comparison between the two devices which might be more helpful. I fully agree with him that it helps to know what it is that you want the satnav to do - but it also helps to know stuff that you don't already know about. There is a lot of mis-information out there to be wary of.

So - to address some specific points.

I've used the various Garmins over here in the Uk with no issues whatsoever. I've always purchased the lifetime map options and these are updated every 3 months or so. They are pretty good - although there are some speed limits that are out of date - but not many.
I never used the lockable feature of the 550 cradle. Too much hassle. I just clip it out of the cradle and either take it with me or stow it with my helmet.
The 550, 660 and 590 / 595 will all connect to a computer and you can transfer routes in and out and access the logfiles which record in great detail the date, time, position, speed and elevation of your particular journey. I use this a lot - the logs are standard GPX files and will import into a whole range of mapping software. I use MemoryMaps for which I have licences for the UK ordnance survey maps, and the accuracy is very impressive.
Like Huey, I like paper maps. But I like the satnav too.
The newer Garmins are very fast - although I don't know how these compare to the TomTom. The 550 was always slow, and the 660 was a big improvement. The 590/595 is a big leap forward.

If ddrod is up for a long distance, side by side comparison, I'll set the ball rolling for the 590. (The 595 has some additional features but is very similar).

I also have a motorcycle press review of the 410 TomTom against the Zumo 595, to which I can refer. But it is rather superficial and for the 590 it isn't entirely accurate.

For me, the 595 is excellent - although it drove me mad when I first switched from the 660.

I use it (sometimes) with MP3 files, which play to both rider and pillion in stereo via my autocom (wired).
It connects to my phone by Bluetooth, and picks up the address book, call log and such like. Both rider and pillion can talk / hear.
Screen is excellent contrary to some reports - probably because out of the cradle, the brightness dims to 40% to save battery.
Dead easy to switch to the car which has its own cradle.

I'll come back in a couple of days with a list.

Bike
2006 ST1300
On the "just getting by" side of the discussion, I use a Garmin Nuvi 40. I paid 77$ for it, 6 years ago, and have used it extensively since. I have it mounted on the upper dash ( just under the windshield), on a ram mount, which cost half as much as the unit- and was worth it.
Likes: Simple to use, fairly fast at acquiring satellites, as well as figuring routes, fairly intuitive to enter routes, etc., free map updates, "per year" cost is almost nothing.

Dislikes: No way to enter a route from the computer, not waterproof, takes 4 hours or so hooked up to the computer to update maps, and occasionally, you have to empty the memory so new maps can be uploaded.

If it rains, I put a Ziploc quart size baggie on it, no problem- as far as shock resistance goes, I have not ( knocking wood here) had any issues there. I had read that the "power in" socket can get worn from vibration, so added a strip of spring steel to hold the 90* mini USB plug in. Knowing a bit about PC boards, etc, I'd be surprised if there were really any vibration issues.

Locking it on: If you go with a RAM mount, there are locking knobs for the "arm" part. Makes it JUST difficult enough that thieves won't bother.

NOTE: This unit just about HAS to be used with the cord plugged in- on battery alone, the display is too dim to read. I also made a "hood" for it, to make it easier to see.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Several riders here use the Chinavision GPS, which is a generic tablet running Windows CE. This GPS is waterproof and costs less than either a Garmin or a TomTom. The software is called IGO Primo and is similar to software installed in late model automobiles.
Been using the Chinavasion product for years - all over the USA, New Zealand, Canada, Europe - with no problems. I use mine pretty much every work day. The software is on par with Garmin and TomTom and the latest mapset is actually the TomTom mapset. Waterproof, glove friendly and inexpensive! :D

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
TomTom Rider 5 and MyRouteApp user here.

One thing I'll point out with MyRouteApp is that you have to be sure and put in enough waypoints into the route to force the TomTom to actually take the route you've designed in MyRoute. Without a waypoint to force it to a specific road, the GPS will often try to take you on a different route.

Bike
2003 ST1300
My experience is with car based Garmin units and a TomTom Rider that I got really cheap before the TomTom Rider 400 came out. TomTom vs Garmin is really similar to Iphone vs Android. Pick one, get familiar with it and don't look back. Since my experience is with older units, its dated as well.

The most important thing to do first is decide what you want to do with the GPS. Car units are much cheaper, but typically lack features that are useful on a motorcycle.

Bluetooth on a car unit means it will connect to your phone. It probably will not connect to a bluetooth headset and provide turn by turn directions. So if you want to hear instructions, you will likely be forced into a motorcycle specific unit.

If you want to map out your route and download to your GPS unit, as mentioned above, both brands have units that can do that. I do this almost all the time. I hate just plugging in a location and letting the GPS pick my route. My Garmin 2650 car unit advertised you could download routes, but in fact you can't. I used Garmin Base Camp to create a route and then dump it into the GPS. In fact, it only sends the GPS the waypoints and then you need to use the slow, clunky interface on the unit to create your route. The TomTom comes with Tyre and that works pretty good. There is an skill or maybe art to creating a route that your GPS will reliably follow with any brand.

So the Garmin 2650 was a big disappointment for my needs on a motorcycle. Its a car specific unit however.....
  • The display was really dim. Unusable most of the time. This is even an issue in a car to be honest.
  • Its bluetooth will only connect to a phone and it will not provide turn by turn directions in any way other than its little speaker. There is not head phone jack either.
  • It will only receive waypoints from the Garmin mapping software. You then need to link them together in a route on the unit.

The TomTom Rider has worked out better and that's what I use today. Its far from perfect in my opinion though.
  • It only has limited and buggy support for Sena units. The volume is crazy loud and the adjustment on the TomTom doesn't work. I always manage to get it to work acceptably, but its pretty high maintenance. It also is always interrupting the bluetooth channel, even when it has nothing to say. Every minute or two, the music from my phone stops for 10 seconds or so. Turning off the TomTom stops this, so I assume its causing this.
  • The unit's software is frustrating for me.
  • I think the Garmin's Point of Interest capabilities are much better than TomTom.
  • My TomTom has no speaker, so its not really good for use in a car since you get not turn by turn (unless I wear my helmet).

You will probably won't want to completely give up on maps though.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Lifetime map user here. Tried ChinaVision over the past year as my backup. GPS turns out to be a handy/useful tool for me in certain circumstances, the ChinaVision unit has served me well, and is a little over a hundred bucks. Uncle Phil would be the expert.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
When all is said and done, I will probably not buy another standalone GPS unit. When/if my TT and Garmins die, I will simply use one of the smartphone apps. I have been playing mostly with Osmand+ and the new Navigator app from the Tyre people. Both do what my TT and Garmin can do (at least what I require them to do) and cost next to nothing. I just can't see spending hundreds of dollars on a MC specific unit anymore.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just can't see spending hundreds of dollars on a MC specific unit anymore.
That is the reason I started playing with the Chinavasion units - about $125 or so waterproof, glove friendly MC GPS.
For purely GPS functions, I can't see spending tons of funds or having to put a baggy over a unit. :D

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do you favour a particular Chinavision unit Uncle Phil?

Edit: Found this post from Uncle Phil https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?142941-Chinavasion-Rage-GPS-Review-1-Year-And-Counting
David - Definitely the 5 Inch unit. Looks like they are $126 + shipping right now. The additional cost is getting the IGO software, but I think I give the source for that in the thread. Some use IGO8, some use Primo but I like Primo with Motorcycle 'mod' version. The nice thing is that once you have the software, you can install it on multiple units, which really makes it cost effective. It sometimes takes a little 'fussing' to set up, but I'm glad to help anyone that needs it.
Just another option if you are looking for GPS function in a waterproof package. I figure for the cost of the "Zumo" flavor of the day, I can buy 3-5 of these units and always have a 'hot' spare ready to do. They use Google Maps (.kml) as the 'route' files and it's a drop and drag to load the routes.
You can set them up to have everything on a micro sd card, so if one did die, you could swap the card and be ready to go.
The only ones that have died on me are the ones that 'left' the cradle at 60+ MPH and met an untimely end. ;-)
I made a little 'safety' stop that put an end to that (I kept forgetting to tighten the lock screw tight enough). :D

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I just noticed that it is China'vasion', not 'vision' !
Also, the larger/newer? 5 in. version has a lesser waterproof rating? $116

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just noticed that it is China'vasion', not 'vision' !
Also, the larger/newer? 5 in. version has a lesser waterproof rating? $116
Yes it does, but it's still plenty waterproof. I think it's rating is you can hose it for 30-60 minutes and it still works.
Mine have been in all kinds of frog drownings and all day rains with no problems. :D

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
@Uncle Phil
On the 5” model is the large screen hood an integral part of the unit?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, what you see in the picture as a 'hood' is part of the cradle. If sun gets directly behind you, it will still wash out like the ST1300 dashboard ... ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Also I’ve read about people who plan routes on their computer and then download them to the gps unit. I’ve online chatted with Garmin and looked at the Tom Tom Manual online. Neither seem to have that capability Was I dreaming?
I've got 2 Garmin Nuvis. Both have the capability of importing pre-planned routes in .gpx files. The ability to import routes that are designed on my computer is the only reason I use a GPS. The next time you talk to Garmin or TT, ask about the ability to import GPX files.

Several years ago I saw a comparison chart of various Garmin models that showed each model's features, route importation being one. Assuming they still put one out, see if you can google the latest chart.

I used maps in tank bags forever until I finally bought a GPS. It is so much safer that having to take your eyes off the road, then look down at a map to tell where your current location is, and where the next turn is, all while doing 70 mph. Having said that, I still use the map in a tank bag but only to occasionally see the big picture.

Whatever bike I have, I mount the GPS so that it is in my field of vision so that I don't have to take my eyes completely eyes off the road.

XN0jegb.jpg

P6Tc628.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The caveat with cell phone GPS is the map may not be in the phone. If you ride out of range of the cell system then there is no map.... The dedicated GPS works in the wilderness.... Yes, you may be able to down load the full map for your app on the phone but you have to know how to do that ahead of time.....

Top Bottom