Garmin or Tom Tom?

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I've had a TomTom Rider for about 5 years. Battery just gave out on it a few weeks ago...new 1 (I installed) on eBay for $15.
There is a free to download software called "Tyre" were you can plan route on your laptop then download to TomTom.
Only complaint from me is the small screen size. Screen is a "pressure touch screen" though...no need for special glove or no glove.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Sewing conductive thread in to glove fingertips.

I realize that we are talking about extremely small needle punctures with this modification but the needle is also puncturing the waterproof membrane in the glove. I do not stop for rain. After riding for hours in heavy rain I am always amazed at where water can find an entry point. Being wet when it is also cold is not fun. Having wet fingertips in cold weather doesn't sound appealing. I wonder if this modification compromises the waterproofing of the gloves' fingertips at all?
I understand that there are differences between gloves, but with most gloves, where the waterproofing is provided by a membrane (eg. Goretex), the waterproof membrane is a second layer inside the glove. In other words, the outer layer is not the waterproof barrier. Therefore, attaching the thread will not influence the waterproofing properties as long as you do not penetrate the inside, waterproof layer. Also, with many gloves, you will notice that the inside layer is already sewn to the outer layer at the extreme tips of the fingers. This is to facilitate putting, and taking off, the glove. As a result, the waterproofing has already been "compromised" to a certain extent.

You can also sew the conductive thread onto a small piece of fabric/leather and then glue that onto the tip of the finger if you want to ensure that you do not compromise the outer layer.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Isn't the point of the conductive thread to connect your finger to the screen making it necessary to pierce the glove from the inside to the outside?
(Not trying to argumentative just trying to understand)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Isn’t the point of the conductive thread to connect your finger to the screen making it necessary to pierce the glove from the inside to the outside?

I think you are correct. But really-- how much water intrusion do you think you'll get in that location? Rub a little silicone around the stiches and you can reduce that even more. A few needle holes aren't going to do much...

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Isn’t the point of the conductive thread to connect your finger to the screen making it necessary to pierce the glove from the inside to the outside?

Not sure how it works, just saw that it did. Maybe enough electrical energy gets transferred and the thread concentrates it? Don't know. Somebody a lot smarter than me will probably have the answer.

st1300doug

Thanks Doug.
Is there any chance you could shoot some photos of your how you have it mounted?

Well.....I'm using a tank/magnetic mount. It sucks as the angle puts constant glare on the plastic holder. SO...I'm gonna go to the RamBall mount that bolts onto the left-side handle bar at the clutch reservoir. Like a big $30-$40. Many use this set up. Lots of adaptability. Plus, going to buy the $8 sun shade too.

st1300doug

DavidR8 - Here are the items will buy...to mount the TomTom to the clutch position. The shirt doubleball is 25mm at one end & 17mm that fits into the TomTom socket. (Required) All under $35 All on Amazon too.

Attachments

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
"....Is this an issue with only certain types screens?..."

In a word, yes. Some screens are pressure sensitive and others are conductive. I believe most (if not all) MC specific units (eg. your 550) are pressure sensitive whereas most smart phones and automotive units are conductive. Luckily my favorite unit (TT920 car unit) is also pressure sensitive.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
DavidR8 - Here are the items will buy...to mount the TomTom to the clutch position. The shirt doubleball is 25mm at one end & 17mm that fits into the TomTom socket. (Required) All under $35 All on Amazon too.
Note there is also a mount with 2 balls. Can be handy at times.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rmi-2916?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-ram-mounts&gclid=CjwKCAiAmvjRBRBlEiwAWFc1mDC7l887odrC2Z0k69slu7OLCj5fM7K9CGr6DGQFo3JTyZOlDtxO4xoCH6MQAvD_BwE

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The thread shouldn't have to contact your finger to work though some sites say otherwise. There are conductive pastes (neither M60 or M77) that applied to even a leather glove will operate capacitive phone screens. Also there are conductive styli that work on touch screens.

Supposedly resistive touch are solely pressure sensitive. Many non-phone displays are resistive (meaning pressure sensitive) but I don't know who's phone displays might be resistive. Apple uses capacitive display on its iDevices.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Andrew Shadow said:
Is this an issue with only certain types screens?
Yes. Resistive touch screens are comparatively inexpensive and are what's found in just about every type of touch screen except most phones and tablets.

There are two flexible layers of screens separated by a non-conductive barrier. Pressure on the outer layer presses it against the inner layer and conducts electricity. You can see and feel the flex most of the time.

Capacitive screens (found in most cellphones and tablets) don't rely on multiple conductive layers. The surface layer does all the conducting using the capacitance of a finger or appropriate stylus.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
For completeness, here are the RAM parts needed to mount a Chinavision Rage GPS to the clutch reservoir of an ST1300, courtesy of Uncle Phil:

RAM Mount Rectangular AMPS Plate B-Ball RAM-B-347U
RAM Mount Medium Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U
RAM Mount Motorcycle Extended Reservoir Cover Base RAM-B-346U

The AMPS plate replaces the smaller ball mount on the Rage cradle. Just remove the four bolts and the RAM plate will bolt right on.

I used the lockable RAM Double Socket Arm RAM-B-201-SU to secure the Rage mounting hood to the bike.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yes. Resistive touch screens are comparatively inexpensive and are what's found in just about every type of touch screen except most phones and tablets.
Wow!! Did this thread get off track.

The OP was asking about motorcycle GPS units, then it spun into making capacitive touchscreen gloves.

All 'dedicated' GPS units I have seen (except for a series specific for bicycling) are pressure sensitive.
No special gloves needed!! They are all glove compatible.

Now the Zumo series is 'glove friendly'. It gives more friendly forms of input when using oversized gloved fingers.

Now if you are using a phone (or tablet and most now are capacitive screen) you will need gloves with special fingertips, slightly wet and sweaty gloves, or easier, a stylus attached to a retractable lanyard clipped to you handlebars.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Wow!! Did this thread get off track. The OP was asking about motorcycle GPS units, then it spun into making capacitive touchscreen gloves.
Well, in all fairness to those of us who "derailed" the thread, this was in the original post:

".....I'm thinking seriously about entering the world of gps on the bike. Trying to decide which one. Looking for recommendations and discussion of why you like or don't like yours. Specifically which model do you have......"

One of the great things I like about this forum is all the information/experience that can be accessed. A lot of it useful, even if not specifically asked for. But YMMV

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wow!! Did this thread get off track.
Yes I found it surprising that a thread got off track. But every forum has one of those. Glad we got it out of the way. Not to mention posts that regurgitate everything that's already been posted. It happens.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I’m going to try a Tom Tom rider next— simply because I hate the garmin basecamp program with a passion!

Top Bottom