2018 Honda Goldwing - Nikasil Plating vs. cylinder sleeves?

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I have read that the new Goldwing has (plated?) aluminum bores (Nikasil/Alusil) the latter less applications to my knowledge. There is not much current information on this application available that I have found on the net. I did find this article <<<(see link)from 2016. From what I have read there are pros and cons many based on the application.

Any engineers or folks in manufacturing that could enlighten me on this?

Bike
VStrom 650
Nikasil and Alusil have been around for many years, and are a common treatment for cylinder bores. Alusil being developed to combat issues with high Sulphur fuels. There is nothing to fear from these treatments, in actual fact they make the engines we know and love very reliable and long lived. They are a combination of metal and ceramic materials.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 1981 BMW had Nikasil plated aluminum bores. Plated cylinder bores have been around since the late 70's. It's good proven technology.

Bike
2004 ST1300
Very common for many years in two stroke engines especially in the snowmobile industry. Less weight (no iron liner), better performance, etc. Biggest issue is you can't simply bore a damaged cylinder to an oversize like a conventional iron liner w/o sending the cylinder(s) off to a specialty shop for replating, which is often an expensive procedure.
Probably not much need to in four stroke motorcycle engines as wear/failures are rare. Engine piston damage/failures are rather common in high performance two strokes and cylinder scoring means replacement or replating in a coated cylinder.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Probably not much need to in four stroke motorcycle engines as wear/failures are rare.
I seem to recall some sportbikes started using nikasil liners back in the late '80s to early '90s. I'm guessing it was a weight savings over steel liners, or maybe cost less to produce, or both.

Bike
ST1300
AFTER the Chevy Vega had a stake driven through its heart and was buried in hallowed ground.
An old girlfriend had one of those Vega's. The engine crapped out at 50,000 miles. We replaced the engine with one that had steel sleeves.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
In the early 60's and 70's many two stroke engines had hard chrome plated cylinders. These cylinders had a thin layer of cast iron that was plated with the hard chrome layer. The hard chrome was very oil retentive and had good wear characteristics and improved cooling as the cylinder liners were much thinner than conventional steel or cast iron liners. The biggest issue with hard chrome was being that two-stroke engines have ports in them, the rings could catch on the edges of the chrome as the cylinders wore, and the chrome would begin to peel away from the cylinder. Also in the days of air cooled two-stroke engines, piston seizures were common and this would also damage the chrome plating. Nikasil was developed in Germany mainly for the new Wankel Rotary engines as a very tough coating was needed for the rotor chambers that would stand up to the rotary engine apex seals rubbing on the surface of the housings. Nikasil is made of a mix of nickel and silicone carbide. This surface is not a dipped type of plating but applied almost like a mini explosive type pressure application where the coating is blown onto and impregnated into the surface of the cylinder. The surface of this coating is also very porous and it holds onto lubricants very well and is much longer wearing than typical iron or steel cylinder liners. The latest cylinder coatings are similar to Nikasil (trade name) but have been further improved. Most of the improvements came in the mid 70's when Suzuki Motor company developed their Rotary Engine motorcycle where they developed their own patented process for coating the rotary engine internal housings. It was discovered that this coating worked very well for piston engines and Suzuki Licensed the technology and most new coated cylinders use this process. Similar to Nikasil but not quite the same. I don't remember the name of the newer process.

Dan

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Moto Guzzi developed a form of Nikasil many years ago.

AFTER the Chevy Vega had a stake driven through its heart and was buried in hallowed ground.
Chevy engineers delivered the stake before production started. Once in process, correction was impossible. After the first 6 months, Chevy should have replaced the engine with an Iron Duke from Olds/Pontiac. For free. Wouldn't have helped the rust problems but ...

Nikasil and Alusil have been around for many years, and are a common treatment for cylinder bores. Alusil being developed to combat issues with high Sulphur fuels. There is nothing to fear from these treatments, in actual fact they make the engines we know and love very reliable and long lived.
Really? Ask an early-release XK8 owner what they think about Nikasil.

Do a Google search using the words nikasil jaguar and see what turns up :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Really? Ask an early-release XK8 owner what they think about Nikasil.

Do a Google search using the words nikasil jaguar and see what turns up :)
It must be the Nikasil. Everyone knows how well built and reliable Jaguars are.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
An old girlfriend had one of those Vega's. The engine crapped out at 50,000 miles. We replaced the engine with one that had steel sleeves.
I'm guessing GM did not use a Nikasil coating.
I owned several Vegas. Even though the engines had their weaknesses, the cars themselves handled pretty good! I put a steel sleeved engine in a '72 GT to take to Germany with me. The car did great on the roads we had there and was running great until a friend drove it for over an hour over 100mph and caused one of the sleeves to separate and come loose. :eek:4:

My last (I had 3 Vegas, 1 Monza w/305 and a Pontiac Astre stationwagon) was the Astre, after putting a steel sleeve engine in it, the trany gave out a year later, so I found a wrecked Monza stationwagon with a v6 in it, swapped everything over to the Astre and drove that around for a number of years! :D

The most fun was the 77 Monza with the 305 V8. That sucker moved! :D

Depends on who owne[s/d] them, I suspect. I had a '96 XJ6 (the Ford years), with the inline 6. i never had any major issues, and had almost 190k miles on it until Harvey took it away from me. I forget who owns Jag now - an Indian manufacturer, Tata, I think - not sure what reliability is nowadays.

The issue with the early XK8's was a two-fold problem - the cooler engine temps combined with high sulfur amounts in the fuel (in some parts of the world) created sulfuric acid, which ate away the Nikasil. Jag eventually switched to using steel liners.

Bike
2005 st1300
The most fun was the 77 Monza with the 305 V8. That sucker moved! :D
That I can attest to. They were quick. The car wasnt designed for a v8... you had to undo the the mounts and raise the engine to change the plugs, which is how I came to drive a v8 Monza Spyder. Did a tuneup on one and then test drove it for a couple of hours. Grins from ear to ear the whole time

Bike
VStrom 650
Re Caldercay, yes early adopters always pay the price and it wasn't only Jags, Beemers had massive issues with the 328 but I was sort of relating to best practice that shows this can be a very acceptable engineering solution to a difficult issue.
And yes I drove quite a few Jags in the 90's and they were pretty much poop. Although there was a definitely a cool factor in driving a marked up Jag, can't imagine your Highway Patrol used them over there.
Getting back on track, I think Honda will get it right, although i still wouldn't early adopt.
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Gug

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
Thanks for the insight folks.

No doubt if Honda is using this on the Goldwing I am sure they tested this to death.

Top Bottom