Bike Master Heated Grips

Bike
05 ST1300 Burgundy
STOC #
Anyone ever use Bike Master Heated Grips? They are currently $40 on Amazon. They look very similar to the Oxfords for less money.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I have the Oxfords on mine and they get very warm. I rarely run them higher than 30 percent. Maybe 40 percent starting out and dropping them to 30 percent. Can't imagine how hot 100 percent would be. Anyhow they were plug and play, vey easy to install other than fitting the throttle side which required dremeling the inside of the tube to fit. i do love em.

I used them on a Vstrom and a Versys and they were excellent. Besides being less expensive than the Oxfords, the switch is physically smaller which I preferred. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in any application.

Harry

Bike
2010 ST1300
+1 on the Oxfords. I usually run them on the first level - 20%?. I have cranked them up to full power as a test - too hot for comfort unless it is v. cold and I open my hand (then the heat is sucked away in an instant) and then close it on the grip. That said, I really think that the brand of heated grips makes no real difference. Installing heated grips is not a major deal, and if they die prematurely on you, you are only out a bit of time and a little money*. For me, I'm more comfortable doing some research and finding a product that has good reviews. A friend says all doctors are the same, all computers are the same, all cars are the same (so why does he drive a Lexus?). You pay your money, you make your own choices.

*I would be more careful with say, aftermarket horns since installation requires removal of tupperware and a bit more than plug and play.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I just put the bike Masters on and am happy so far. There are two types out now. I have the non digital with five positions for heat and a memory for the last setting. The new digital thermostat ones are 20 or 30 bucks more and give a temperature setting rather than positions one thru five

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I installed the Koso Apollo heated grips and really like the clean install with the switch integrated into grip. They are more expensive than others but having the switch integrated was worth the extra $$ to me.
I like those! OOS at the moment. How warm to they get? I'm really fond of the BMW Sport grips as the palm swell fits my hand nicely and they have some give to them unlike factory grips.

The Kosos look like they could use some padding like Grab-On Grip Covers and I'd what to build a palm swell with some foam. Do they get hot enough to get heat through something like that. Full disclosure I won't ever be riding in ≤40º if I can help it.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I like those! OOS at the moment. How warm to they get? I'm really fond of the BMW Sport grips as the palm swell fits my hand nicely and they have some give to them unlike factory grips.

The Kosos look like they could use some padding like Grab-On Grip Covers and I'd what to build a palm swell with some foam. Do they get hot enough to get heat through something like that. Full disclosure I won't ever be riding in ≤40º if I can help it.
Oxfords with Grip Puppies gave me plenty of heat on my Wee.

Greg

TOS

Bike
2015 Super Tenere
STOC #
I had the Bike Master Grips on my Wee for about 1 year (before I sold it) with no problems.
They worked better that the "Suzuki Factory" grips, which I removed because the Left Grip was always hotter than the Right Grip.
I didn't see it on Amazon's description.... but the controller remembers the last setting for you. I'm thinking that when you turn the key on again, controller is off, just touch power button and controller returns to previous setting.
Good Luck

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A

I have the Koso heated grips on my '04 along with grip puppies. Takes a little longer to feel the heat but keeps my hands toasty. They are currently available on Amazon as well as Dennis Kirk.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
pumper316 said:
They are currently available on Amazon as well as Dennis Kirk.
Thanks for the tip on denniskirk.com. I get their emails almost once a week but didn't think of them for the Kosos. I had already checked Amazon but they were full pop and I was hoping to save a buck or two for the Next Farkle kitty.

Dennis Kirk it is. Thanks!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

I run them with grip puppies and have only run them on highest setting when it was 30 and still got plenty of heat. Most of the time I get plenty of heat in the mid range setting. They are a little larger outside diameter than stock grips. The inside diameter is tad bit small and rigid making installation challenging. I got them on using some tire mount lube and once on they have been secure.

Jeff

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I run them with grip puppies and have only run them on highest setting when it was 30 and still got plenty of heat. Most of the time I get plenty of heat in the mid range setting. They are a little larger outside diameter than stock grips. The inside diameter is tad bit small and rigid making installation challenging. I got them on using some tire mount lube and once on they have been secure.
Thanks for the info. I used hairspray to slide my BMW grips on the bars. They may have had more 'give' to them not having heater grids embedded. But they haven't slipped a bit. I'll try the same with the Kosos.

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I installed the Koso grips on my bike using golf grip tape I bought from one of the local sporting stores.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Re: Koso Apollo Heated Grips

I installed the Koso grips on my bike using golf grip tape I bought from one of the local sporting stores.
I got my Koso Apollo grips yesterday and will install them in a week or so. How did you wire them up?

. . .

According to webBikeWorld.com they can be installed without a relay (my preference at the moment) as they shut off when battery voltage is >11.5V.

But since my ST is kept on a Battery Tender the grips would stay on. The instructions say:

Press and hold the button for 3 seconds will turn-off the heated grips at any level.

Is this the case? If so installation will be super simple. At some point I'll want to do a fuse box with a relay or two but for now it's Q&D but cleanly as possible. LOL

Last edited:

pumper316

SaTx Speed Demon!
Bike
'04 ST1300A

I got my Koso Apollo grips yesterday and will install them in a week or so. How did you wire them up?
Connected to a fuse block with a 10A fuse. Hid the left and right connectors underneath the gas tank.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

pumper316 said:
Connected to a fuse block with a 10A fuse. Hid the left and right connectors underneath the gas tank.
Thanks!

Top Bottom