Renting a K1600GTL

Bike
07 ST1300
Tooling around south Florida this week with the bride. Rented this K1600gtl. I have to say it has amazing features. Great gps and tons of bells and whistles. We are both quite comfy. But we both agree we like the ST better. The big (giant) K bike is smooth and very fast once the revs are up but the ST has more user friendly power down low where I want it. The bik K gearbox was built by Harley Davidson I think. Very clunky but positive. Just like my airhead BMW now that I think about it. But driveline lash, klunky final drive and sometimes wonky fueling are all issues. To be fair the more we ride the better I get at it.
Anyway I am surprised I am not falling for this new mega bike but the ST is just as nice or nicer to ride.
go figure.
BTW I like the telelever front end just fine. No problem with that at all! Handle great but low speed turn in is heavy. That could be a variety of things though..

EDIT! I rented the bike from RMM rentals in west palm beach FL. They were great!

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Interesting - given that the ST was designed in around the 1999-02 timeframe (and is based on much earlier ST1100 technology) and the Bimmer K1600 was likely designed around 2013-14 - there is about 10-15 years newer technology plus a huge price increment in the K over the ST - but the old gal is still competitive.

Cool!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Interesting - given that the ST was designed in around the 1999-02 timeframe (and is based on much earlier ST1100 technology) and the Bimmer K1600 was likely designed around 2013-14 - there is about 10-15 years newer technology plus a huge price increment in the K over the ST - but the old gal is still competitive.

Cool!
Tech wise the K has the ST beat hands down. The ST is featureless comparatively. But for touring 2 up, bike for bike we do prefer the ST. I don't need all that other stuff.
The big K does sound like an Indy car though. Vs well, you know..

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
The big K does sound like an Indy car though. Vs well, you know..
....yup, the ST sounds like George Jetson’s spacecar.

..and so, every time I ride mine, I find myself humming or singing:

“Meet George Jetson...
His boy Elroy....
Daughter Judy....
Jane, his wife....”

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I felt the same way about the 2015 RT we rented. Nice tech but we like the ST power delivery and comfort more.
During first few hours on the RT I was surprised at how much smoother it was than the 2009 we rode.

But as the miles wore on either I was lazy on shifts or it was just the gearbox but the shifts were really clunky. Maybe I didn't figure out the right technique.

Telelever front end was fine but I like the feel of a telescopic fork better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Of course I twisted the throttle Amorley. Power builds up into blinding rip your face off hyper speed. Strongest bike I ever rode obviously. Took it well into triple digits as well. Only takes few seconds. This did not endear me to my new bride though. :)
But we both agree we prefer the ST. It's the truth. What can I tell you. It's set up for us. It's got the grunt where I want it.
we are not done with this bike though. Still have it until Saturday. It is also growing on us day by day. And it handles WELL at highway speeds or I wouldn't be here. Someone tried to occupy our space at the same time we were. Bounced me right off the highway onto an off ramp. Glad it was there! No contact but oh so close. Can still hear the brides scream. With intercom!
Then fiddling with stuff while riding a dead straight flat road through central Fl I got the grip heaters on for a while. Fun with menu driven stuff! It is an amazing machine. Just not for me. I think the final drive may grenade before I return it. Hope not.
We wanted a non Harley rental which is kind of hard to find actually. I would have had a boxer BMW RT or really anything with full tour capability. we have a LOT of stuff with us. Or a wing or an ST with a top box.
We did rent a harley ultra classic one year. It was actually very nice. Then next we wound up with a heritage special which had stupid mini ape hangers on it. Aweful choice. Not a highway bike at all ever. Couldn't hang on to the bloody thing. Had to take the cop windscreen off because of the buffeting nightmare.
Bla Bla Bla..more to come.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
I felt the same way about the 2015 RT we rented. Nice tech but we like the ST power delivery and comfort more.
During first few hours on the RT I was surprised at how much smoother it was than the 2009 we rode.

But as the miles wore on either I was lazy on shifts or it was just the gearbox but the shifts were really clunky. Maybe I didn’t figure out the right technique.

Telelever front end was fine but I like the feel of a telescopic fork better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My ST is smooth but the K bike is far smoother. Engine is truly amazing but HUGE. This bike has Acropovic pipes. Sounds insane but thankfully not loud. About like my stain tunes with baffles. The tech is awesome once you start to learn it.
My friend has a new RT. He loves it.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
More miles yesterday and more love for the special K. Hmm.. Freakin motor is SO strong.
Many more miles to do today.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
My ST is smooth but the K bike is far smoother. Engine is truly amazing but HUGE. This bike has Acropovic pipes. Sounds insane but thankfully not loud. About like my stain tunes with baffles. The tech is awesome once you start to learn it.
My friend has a new RT. He loves it.
Doctor!!! We’re losing him!!!!

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Quick!! Shock him back to reality! Tell him how much a simple service by BMW will cost!! Probably more than his ST cost.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Just found dynamic mode with sport mode. Whole new bike! No wonder.
There is quite a difference in the handling between standard and dynamic mode. I kind of wish there was a third option between the two. The technology does make it a bike that has to be ridden for awhile to truly appreciate it. The ST is more plug and play, but where the ST makes compromises, the GTL usually has a adjustment to fine tune it.

Sent using Tapatalk

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Just found dynamic mode with sport mode. Whole new bike! No wonder.
The Performance modes and the ESA provide huge flexibility on the K and RT bikes. I have found that setting the ESA to 2 Up with Luggage (maximum pre-load) and then setting the Performance to Rain is perfect for riding the big bike on dirt roads.

Quick!! Shock him back to reality! Tell him how much a simple service by BMW will cost!! Probably more than his ST cost.
The K16 cost no more to service than the ST. You all need to come up something better than that LOL. Let's not talk about final drives either.....that was 10 yrs ago and a different model. Try it you'll like it.:bmwkick1:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The K16 cost no more to service than the ST. You all need to come up something better than that LOL
About 5 years ago Honda charged me $180 to buy and mount a rear ST tire. More than 10 years ago, BMW charged me over $600 to buy and mount 2 tires on my F650. $70 for a clutch lever. $60 for a simple relay. Just a few of my experiences with BMW. The service manager ask me how I like the bike. I told him I thought their ABS was very primitive but I really like the motor. It seemed strong and bullet proof. He had no comment. I don't see myself ever owning another BMW (bike or car).

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
I think the real point of cost is probably down to the fact that independents won't touch a K16 but Pan's are seen as old tech so most non franchised good mechanics aren't scared of them. My go-to geezer who is Honda trained will not go deeper than routine servicing on any modern Beemer, but would happily reduce a Pan to its last component.
Like all Technology you need to buy it new with a warranty and service pack. If it goes wrong it's there problem not yours.
Can't agree more about Beemer Motorrad dealers, they don't like criticism of the product. Perhaps it's the German influence and that famous sense of humour. Also Beemer owners are a bit like smokers, don't dare criticise there bike/car but once they get rid of it they hate the damn things.
Also.......why are we spending so long deliberating the wonderfulness of Beemer on an ST forum.......damn I'm doing it as well.....must be Christmas malaise.
Upt'North

Top Bottom