Renting a K1600GTL

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I think BMW does cost more to service than Honda but if you follow the manufacturers recommendations for both bikes the difference is not as big as you may think. The problem is when you read of people that only do an annual oil change on their Honda and then compare that to another manufacturers recommended service.

Gerhard

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
I can't rely on my Honda dealer to add air properly but I am comfortable owning the ST.
I don't care about BMW motorad dealers and likely never will. Except to buy parts from once
in a while for my R100RS. This big K is proving to be an awesome machine but still not a bike for me. I will enjoy it while I have it then hand it back with a smile.
Off to Everglades city!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I believe BMW hit one out of the park with the K1600. yeah, some teething pains but all of them have those. The RT is a close 2nd and possible a double hit out of the park..

I've never liked the price points of BMWs or I would have had a GS a long time ago.. when the Super Tenere came out it was in a much better price column and finally Honda has the VFR1200X which is also in that same price range.

However, if I end up considering the wing in the future I may have to adjust my thinking price-wise and also include the RT and K1600... It's great to have so many really good choices out there.

Bike
2010 ST1300
However, if I end up considering the wing in the future I may have to adjust my thinking price-wise and also include the RT and K1600... It's great to have so many really good choices out there.
May we not end up like the donkey sitting equidistant from two bales of hay. He looked left at the first, then right at the second, and ended up starving to death because he could not make up his mind which one to eat.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Quick!! Shock him back to reality! Tell him how much a simple service by BMW will cost!! Probably more than his ST cost.
If I recall right I don't think Honda's simple service is that much cheaper! No matter what bringing your bike to the dealer is an expensive proposition!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
I can not get used to the terrible fueling on this bike. On slight deceleration the bike bucks and clanks from the final drive or driveshaft. Makes me just pull in the clutch. What's up with that K owners?

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I can not get used to the terrible fueling on this bike. On slight deceleration the bike bucks and clanks from the final drive or driveshaft. Makes me just pull in the clutch. What's up with that K owners?
Never heard anyone complain about that.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Never heard anyone complain about that.

Do a google search on K1600 surging or buckin or stutter. You will find plenty on it. It really throws you off coming into a curve and around town. Of course BMW seems to deny it. Could be wrong on that last bit but this bike bucks and clanks like crazy on slightly trailing throttle. Even my wife is complaining about it. I am happy without drive by wire thanks.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Also.......why are we spending so long deliberating the wonderfulness of Beemer on an ST forum
ST is Sport Touring, not just ST1100/1300.

So please keep the insights of other bikes flowing for those that might want to ride a different manufacturers ST.

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
Do a google search on K1600 surging or buckin or stutter. You will find plenty on it. It really throws you off coming into a curve and around town. Of course BMW seems to deny it. Could be wrong on that last bit but this bike bucks and clanks like crazy on slightly trailing throttle. Even my wife is complaining about it. I am happy without drive by wire thanks.
So you have never ridden a throttle by wire bike? That's where all the bucking and surging is coming from. When I got rid of my ST and moved over to a triumph explorer that had throttle by wire, I complained about that too, wasn't smooth, jerky. Then after riding it for awhile I finally got use to it. When I got my 2016 RT also throttle by wire, no issues at all. You will get use to it and the jerkyness will eventually stop. My friend also has a 1600GT and never complains of jerky but he has had it awhile and also his previous bike was throttle by wire. Hate to say it but don't think the bike is the issue. Have fun riding! Wish I could ride now but we are snowed i here in the New Hampshire!

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
My 2018 GTL has a smoother throttle than my '05 ST1300. Transmission does clunk a little more though.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The FRJ and Super Tenere are both Throttle by wire as well and Yamaha put an Sport/Tour switch on them. The Tour switch is pretty much what I use about 99% of the time as it smooths out the throttle action and you don't get any abruptness at any speeds. Really smart. But, maybe the 1600 has something similar? Maybe rain mode does the same thing? No idea here as I've never even ridden one or seriously looking into it so just guessing.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lots of people complain about the ST1300's abrupt throttle and there are plenty of posts here about it. Mostly one just adapts and gets used to it. I suspect the the K16 has got some things to get used to compared to anyone's long term ride. The RT I'm riding along with my ST and NC has some shifting and braking idiosyncrasies to adapt to compared to the others in the stable. It mostly comes down to seat time.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
In Dynamic mode, the K1600 will immediately respond to the throttle which may feel jerky. Lots of horsepower!

In Road mode, and even more in Rain mode the throttle response is much more muted. It does take practice as I am sure you know. The thunk of the gear change is an issue which some riders hate, while others find as a reassuring feedback.

In Dynamic mode, the K1600 will immediately respond to the throttle which may feel jerky. Lots of horsepower!

In Road mode, and even more in Rain mode the throttle response is much more muted. It does take practice as I am sure you know. The thunk of the gear change is an issue which some riders hate, while others find as a reassuring feedback.
What he said.....

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #

What he also said

wbgva_roadkill

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GTL

What he said also. I found myself annoyed with the same thing on my '13 GTL for the first year but now after 30K miles I think I've either adapted or the response has smoothed out..., sure seems that way.

John G.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Do ‘drive by wire’ bike have some sort of rheostat that communicates with the computer?
Yep, hence the name. No direct linkage. You control the volume on the handlebar and the computer makes the engine growl in proportion. Makes it easy to do different mappings for changing response curves, like sport, tour, rain. Also makes it a breeze to do CC and helps to integrate with stability control systems too (if so equipped).

Top Bottom