Renting a K1600GTL

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Yep, hence the name. No direct linkage. You control the volume on the handlebar and the computer makes the engine growl in proportion. Makes it easy to do different mappings for changing response curves, like sport, tour, rain. Also makes it a breeze to do CC and helps to integrate with stability control systems too (if so equipped).
Obviously negates the ability to use something like a G2 Throttle Tamer.

During our RT rental this month I tried rain, road and dynamic settings and definitely noticed that dynamic required a lot more attention to achieve smooth throttle response. Road was fine and rain was even more smooth though a tad muted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
In Dynamic mode, the K1600 will immediately respond to the throttle which may feel jerky. Lots of horsepower!

In Road mode, and even more in Rain mode the throttle response is much more muted. It does take practice as I am sure you know. The thunk of the gear change is an issue which some riders hate, while others find as a reassuring feedback.
There is a line of thought on the K1600 forum that the dynamic mode was dialed down a little on the initial throttle response due to this complaint. The 2018 bikes were remapped to Euro 3 or 4 (don't remember which is the new standard) standards.. A couple of owners of previous year bikes that stepped up to '18s are giving support to this thought.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Its not me kids its the bike. To deny it is the BMW way. I have been riding thing all week and i have gotten used to it but it aint me.
My ST 1300 does have a bit of twitchy throttle but nothing like this bike.
Overall the big K is amazing. But I return it in the AM and fly back to the deep freeze that is my home.
Oh well.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I've been thinking about acquiring a K1600???
This past summer at On-Stoc I rode around with a bunch of like minded guys on BMW's,, I couldn't keep up!! I ran out of Horses!! I can't have this.. There was another guy on a ST1300 also. We rode neck an neck.. Those K1600 just smoked us especially pulling out of the corners. I ran my bike in the higher revs way above normal and there was just no way.
NEED MORE HORSES! :)

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Hey Doug I'll let you take a spin on mine sometime if you would like.

Sent using Tapatalk

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Its not me kids its the bike. To deny it is the BMW way. I have been riding thing all week and i have gotten used to it but it aint me.
My ST 1300 does have a bit of twitchy throttle but nothing like this bike.
Overall the big K is amazing. But I return it in the AM and fly back to the deep freeze that is my home.
Oh well.
Just curious, what year is this GTL?

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Jim, what was your favorite part riding it.
Every year I sit on it at the bike show, comfy seat.
Hi Al and thanks for asking.
there is a lot to like about the bike I rented. Handling is great. I left it on sport two up as soon as I found it felt perfect to me. Power is immediate and supreme once I found dynamic mode. Instant throttle response anytime every time. This is the quickest revving and de revving motor I have ever ridden. Kind of hard to rev match for downshifting with zero flywheel effect but another thing you learn to do as you go.
this bike has a Sargent seat and we were both comfortable. No sore butts ever. The seating position is much like my ST1300 with the aftermarket bar things I installed on the ST. The passenger foot pegs were good for my wife. I put lowering doodads on the ST for her.
the infotainment stuff and especially navigation was totally cool. I got VERY used to that luxury in a hurry. That may prove troublesome going back to my ST.
The bike is gigantic but that disappears once you get rolling. The low speed fueling is annoying but there may be a solution for that. There is no solution for needin a BMW dealer to massage it every so often. I prefer doing my own work and maybe that's possible as well.
overall a great bike. Maybe the best big tourer. Have not ridden them all! In basic feel and enjoyement it's not light years ahead of my ST though. In tech and power yes it's light years ahead.
And it sounds SO good when it's on song.
Review over.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
For software updates, yes it needs to go back to the dealer. There are tools available that let you access the Canbus system and adjust and make calibrations to most everything else on the bike. These tools aren't cheap, but cost about the same as one service call at the dealer.

I plan to do all of my own maintenance on my GTL. It will require some learning of new systems, but it won't be impossible. I've ridden ST's for 21 years and I feel that the K1600 is Light years ahead of a ST, IMHO.

Thanks for the ride report.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Just curious, what year is this GTL?

Sent using Tapatalk
ok it was a 2015 with 28000 miles. At airport now. Will be freezing my hindparts in a few short hours.
They have an RT there that would probably be my next choice. Seems a bit more manageable if you dont need biggest and baddest. Kind of ST sized.
I really have no use for northeast winters.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
ok it was a 2015 with 28000 miles. At airport now. Will be freezing my hindparts in a few short hours.
They have an RT there that would probably be my next choice. Seems a bit more manageable if you dont need biggest and baddest. Kind of ST sized.
I really have no use for northeast winters.
We certainly enjoyed the 2015 RT we rented in SFO earlier this month.
Plenty of go in those two cylinders!
Lots of tech too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom