Advise on High-Viz Clothing, Helmet ect...

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Yea! Cool!
I have a sticker on my topcase that says “my other ride is a tie fighter” along w/ Vader’s tie fighter sticker.....

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I want to always be as visible to cars as possible:

High-vis jackets and a white helmet - whenever I ride. It's amazing to me how many riders are all black - mostly Harleys, lol. Gotta look cool, you know.....
Yes, the jackets get dirty:
Put some Shout pre-soak on the yellow then launder it. Comes out amazingly clean. Just don't let it get too grungy before washing.
Spots rub off easily with Simple Green on a rag.

Evitek LED headlight bulbs - big improvement! High beam if the sun is out or approaching an intersection, low beams otherwise.
I have had cars flash me - in the daytime! - so I know I'm being seen. Sorry if it annoys them, but my safety is more important.
In the rear, a Whelan TIR-3 brakelight strobe and reflective strips on the bags.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I want to always be as visible to cars as possible:

High-vis jackets and a white helmet - whenever I ride. It's amazing to me how many riders are all black - mostly Harleys, lol. Gotta look cool, you know.....
Yes, the jackets get dirty:
Put some Shout pre-soak on the yellow then launder it. Comes out amazingly clean. Just don't let it get too grungy before washing.
Spots rub off easily with Simple Green on a rag.

Evitek LED headlight bulbs - big improvement! High beam if the sun is out or approaching an intersection, low beams otherwise.
I have had cars flash me - in the daytime! - so I know I'm being seen. Sorry if it annoys them, but my safety is more important.
In the rear, a Whelan TIR-3 brakelight strobe and reflective strips on the bags.
I agree, but I just don't like the looks of the high visibility garments. Probably the wrong priority. I do have led running lights on all of my bikes..

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jmcarruth said:
I agree, but I just don't like the looks of the high visibility garments. Probably the wrong priority. I do have led running lights on all of my bikes..
Agree with probably the same wrong priority. I'll be adding a little more light and maybe reflectors on the bags.

I wore black most of the time because I don't mind 'looking cool' or care what others think about my choice. The Neotech in Bright Yellow got my attention. I like yellow in certain shades and it's a nice contrast to my black ST. The yellow Neo also seems cooler than my black Neo.

Then I saw the WnS sale on the yellow jacket liners and got one. My 'Wing buddy has a yellow 2005. It's not as bright as I would like but he got a great jacket (Fieldsheer maybe) on clearance. Yellow. So I'm on the lookout for one.

I'm not all in on hi-viz preventing collisions any more than any other bright color and even then not so much. It can probably be seen farther away than other colors by people who are looking. I think the 'I didn't see him defense' is mainly a function of a motorcycle's perceived low-threat level. We get 'tuned out' by that type of driver or seen but ignored. That doesn't cover every collision scenario but I think it's a very big part.

My guess is if there were no motorcycles or scooters but one day a modern or semi-modern bike appeared in traffic for the first time— it would be noticed by everybody even of the rider was some guy dressed in all black trying to be cool. Ok there's always an exception to the rule.

Some people don't 'see' an oncoming MAC or train. Or they look and think 'It's over there and I'm here. No worries' without ever processing that it's moving very fast.

But if hi-viz yellow-green is your thing ain't nothin' wrong with that.

Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
The enemy out there are the folks driving their cages on auto pilot without due care and attention; whilst contemplating what to fix for supper, picking up the kids from Day Care, what teams are playing that evening on Monday Night Football/ what happened on GoT last night, what a crap day they've had at work, etc. or D: all the above. And then there are the ones operating their Head-down Display texting, talking, or God forbid watching the latest thing posted on You Tube.
I wear HiViz, but don't depend upon it to keep me alive. It may provide a slight edge if the cage driver tunes back in to the real world prior to pressing the go pedal, but only if his/her head is fully extracted from their nether region just prior to the event. However, I don't count on someone who constantly does stupid things on a daily basis to be able to respond in the right way at short notice.
For me it's all down to the proper utilization of the Mark 1 eyeball and operating the machine with a high level of skepticism and anticipation.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
...I just don't like the looks of the high visibility garments...
They are starting to come out with some decent looking hi viz options. I've been losing weight and got a new jacket last year:
Cortech_GX_Sport_Air_4.0_Jacket_3__41193.1455984085.1280.1280.jpg This year's version of the same: 163-8985-0513-03.jpg

I haven't made the jump to hi viz pants yet, but you can get:
From: s-l500.jpg to more subdued: dainese_drake_air_d_dry_pants_black_black_fluo_yellow_750x750.jpg

Lots of variety in Helmets as well. Cool ones I've looked at:
2016-z1r-strike-ops-sv-helmet-black-hi-viz-yellow-mcss.jpg and the mouth watering Neotec: Shoei-Neotec-Imminent-216307_410_FR_17.JPG

To each his own though. Whether you want to be a yellow dot or blacked out. I'm still losing weight and here is what I've ordered for next year:
is-max-2-mine-helmet.jpg s-l225.jpg AirglidePANTblack.jpg axoglove.jpg

If you see me... wave me over and buy me lunch!

Bike
07 ST1300
Hi viz for the bike and the head. I have gotten run down from the rear at night. Hopefully no more with high vis jacket much of the time and modulated brake light.

RCS

I usually just wear a yellow construction guys vest...I guess its ok, but the wind puffs it a lot...I have a white helmet...I was thinking about putting some high vis reflective tape. on the front of the bike...maybe on the lower windshield...what do you guys do...and where do you buy it???....thanks
Radians vest. Works very well at highway speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/Radians-SV24-2ZGM-XL-2X-Polyester-Expandable/dp/B0073S7VEK/ref=sr_1_95?ie=UTF8&qid=1514896748&sr=8-95&keywords=radians+vest

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'm also in NJ. What is this patch you're referring to? Is it something required? I've been riding for 45 years and I never heard of it.
iirc the driving manual mentions or at least used to mention 2 inches of red reflector on the rear of the helmet. Note it didn't say "square" inches ;) I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for it and I've seen maybe 2 helmets with it in the last 45 years.

I quick search turns up this which is news to me and not what the driving manual used to say.

New Jersey Helmet Law - P.L. 39:3-76.7:
No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless he wears a securely fitted protective helmet of a size proper for that person and of a type approved by the federal DOT. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides.
Huh. Your post and that code section are the first mentions I've ever seen/heard of a helmet requiring to be reflector-ized.

Sure— I've seen reflective material on helmets for years. Shoei used to include a square or two to apply if desired. The signage on the back of my Shoei and Bilt helmets is reflective. Maybe... If I could find some reflective tape shaped like wings... Like the Flash. LOL

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Interesting.
I looked the helmet law in BC:

In British Columbia, motorcycle drivers and passengers are required to wear a motorcycle safety helmet that meets one of the following safety standards (and the helmet needs to display the proper certification label):

DOT: conformance with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218; Motorcycle helmets (United States of America), also known as FMVSS 218 (49CFR571.218)
Snell M2005, M2010 or M2015: certification in accordance with the Snell Memorial Foundation 2005, 2010 or 2015 Standard for Protective Headgear for Use with Motorcycles and Other Motorized Vehicles
ECE: approved in accordance with the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (ECE) Regulation No. 22

Looking through the Snell standards it does not appear that certification require any side reflectors.

So even if ones helmet is Snell certified that doesn't necessarily mean it complies with local laws.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
iirc the driving manual mentions or at least used to mention 2 inches of red reflector on the rear of the helmet. Note it didn't say "square" inches ;) I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for it and I've seen maybe 2 helmets with it in the last 45 years.

I quick search turns up this which is news to me and not what the driving manual used to say.

New Jersey Helmet Law - P.L. 39:3-76.7:
No person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle unless he wears a securely fitted protective helmet of a size proper for that person and of a type approved by the federal DOT. Such a helmet must be equipped with either a neck or chin strap and be reflectorized on both sides.
Thanks. I'm aware of that (the rear, not the sides), I just didn't realize that's what you were referring to. My first several helmets were 100% compliant, but I haven't bothered adding reflectors for quite a while now. As you note, no one seems to do it, nor do I think it's important if one is wearing other reflectorized materials.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I went out for a bicycle ride today wearing my bright yellow jacket. At a pedestrian crosswalk, I waited until the walk sign came on. The car facing me didn't turn right away so I assumed they were waiting for me as they should. I started across and about halfway, the car facing me turns in front of me. I had to slow down, but not panic brake.

As she passed in front of me, I raised my hand in the sort of universal "what are you doing?" gesture (nothing obscene). I could tell by her expression that that's the moment she actually saw me and was kind of apologetic.

I wasn't mad. This sort of thing happens all of the time. You can wear the most conspicuous clothing and if you're a traffic anomaly, such as a bicycle (often) or a motorcycle (not as often, but still too often), they can look right at you and still not see.

Having said that, I still think bright clothing is a good idea. My next motorcycle jacket will be more visible. Right now I'm wearing a black Joe Rocket mesh jacket which I really like and if anyone has any ideas how to liven up the color, I'd love to hear.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Spray can of fluorescent yellow or orange paint? Just a light coat.
Thanks. I've thought about that, but I want to be sure that the paint doesn't flake off making a mess. I've read some of the reviews of "fabric paint" and it's a mixed bag.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks. I've thought about that, but I want to be sure that the paint doesn't flake off making a mess. I've read some of the reviews of "fabric paint" and it's a mixed bag.
I used some fabric paint decades ago when I wanted to change the colour of the rear seat of my first car. Worked well and never flaked off. That was applied with a brush too.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
They sell reflective bands you wear around your arm, reflective vests you wear over your jacket or a reflective sash if you don't want a full vest- lots of options.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Bush said:
Just a light coat.
:rofl1:No matter what countermeasures we take in the name of conspicuity there will almost always be someone they're lost on. So we aim to strike a relevant balance as to the ends and costs we'll go to still knowing or (should know) nothing is guaranteed.A corollary is that just because we may chose not to go to the -n degree does not mean we'll end in a fiery death.

But just a light coat... That's very doable.

Top Bottom