Turbo City right side mount

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Have this mount-- looks like it was previously used for a radar detector.
I'm thinking of mounting a ram ball and using it to mount my GPS.

Since it uses the two small screw locations on the inner dash, I'm concerned it may not be strong enough for the weight.

Is anyone using this mount for this purpose?

I'd love to find a migsel (misgel?) center mount but those are big $$!!!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I had one I put a radar detector on. It's a very nice mount and I wish Tom could ramp up that product again however, some GPS units are a bit heavy and I wouldn't trust the 2 screws with that.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I had one I put a radar detector on. It's a very nice mount and I wish Tom could ramp up that product again however, some GPS units are a bit heavy and I wouldn't trust the 2 screws with that.
Thanks Joe, that's what I was afraid of. I have a ram ball down on my riser but I find the location to be a nuisance-- makes it hard to reach the ignition key and it's just too low. Not my 1st choice but I'm afraid I'll have to resort to a clutch mount ram mount as dash shelves seem to be non-existant these days.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Joe, that's what I was afraid of. I have a ram ball down on my riser but I find the location to be a nuisance-- makes it hard to reach the ignition key and it's just too low. Not my 1st choice but I'm afraid I'll have to resort to a clutch mount ram mount as dash shelves seem to be non-existant these days.
You can also try a longer ram arm and angle it to the left or right.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
If your talking about the right side "Turbo Tom" mount I had one on my 1300 for 10 years. Worked well as a support for a V1 radar unit. The only changes I made to the attachment was to use 2 thin rubber washers between the bracket and the plastic and use a slightly longer screw than originally used. This never came loose, never vibrated any more than the rest of the dash, and provided decent enough line of site for the radar unit to see through the windscreen. It's stronger than you think!

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
yea that's the one. If I could locate a left side mount, I'd fab a bridge between them to center mount my gps.

As it stands, I think I'll either fab a migsel copy or ram mount it on my right bar... I can use the right side mount for my TPMS display.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
yea that's the one. If I could locate a left side mount, I'd fab a bridge between them to center mount my gps.

As it stands, I think I'll either fab a migsel copy or ram mount it on my right bar... I can use the right side mount for my TPMS display.
Am I to late? What about your ram mount on top of the dash? Where the two clips are, use a bolt up through dash to ram ball. I have a strip of aluminum across the two with a third ram ball in the center. Rock solid.

OP
OP
flip-flop

flip-flop

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
nope! Still thinking of a more permanent solution! Right now I'm trying a simple test by securing a ram ball to the turbo city mount. I did a 400 mile run with my new tomtom rider mounted and it seemed ok, but I am concerned that it will not hold up over time. Your idea is probably what I will end up doing-- unless someone sells their migsel mount in the buy/sell forum.

Top Bottom