The best gas mileage on my ST1100 has been 43 mpg, is something wrong?

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've got a gas gauge. It's close enough. I won't obsess over milage and do tank math. When the gauge gets low fill and go. :rofl1:
:plus1: I agree. I prefer to plan my routes rather then spend time figuring out my mileage.
Go for a ride and enjoy the New Year. :)
I sense your comments were directed at me. You need to go read a few posts up to see what I originally said about worrying less and riding more.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You need to go read a few posts up to see what I originally said about worrying less and riding more.
No I don't. I saw it the first time. No need to revisit. I've never bothered with the tank math and wouldn't unless there's a significant change. There's no need for me to do that either. Fill and go is what I do.

But I certainly don't begrudged anybody who does do math be it once a quarter or every tank. I seriously doubt it's costing them significant if any ride time. Since mileage can be a diagnostic tool threads like this can be helpful. Maybe it's because I don't see interest or concern as 'worrying'. It helps new ST owners to get a base line on what they can/should expect.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I have always wondered if you really get better mileage from a lower windshield? Wouldn’t the human form be less aerodynamic than a windshield and result in higher fuel use? No proof one way or the other but to me it just seems to make sense.

Gerhard
All I can say is that I have heard some Riders say that they have gotten worse mileage with a taller windshield.

It's amazing how much drag a MC has compared to a car. You would think compared to a car, a 1100 c.c. MC that weighs only about 700 lbs. should get much better mileage than a small car with a 1100 c.c. engine.

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Just to be clear by "tank math" I meant miles ridden divided by gallons used. I don't rely on the digital dash readout, even though it seems to be fairly accurate.

Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
I have a 2002 ST1100 with 64,356 miles on it. The best I ever got was 47 MPG U.S. Regular gas as it is not a high compressionengine, so don't use premium as it is a waste of money. 43 is what I usually get. But lately I have been getting 39. Now I havenoticed that when I am doing about 75 mph and then twist the throttle wideopen, it doesn't take off like it used to, it feels like it is either notgetting enough air, or not feeding the fuel through as fast as it shouldbe. It is only a guess, because otherthan that, it runs fine. I have onlychanged oil and spark plugs on it, so I assume I have to do a little more toget it back up to snuff. Any suggestionson getting it back to where it was?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Now I have noticed that when I am doing about 75 mph and then twist the throttle wideopen, it doesn’t take off like it used to, it feels like it is either notgetting enough air, or not feeding the fuel through as fast as it shouldbe. I have onlychanged oil and spark plugs on it, so I assume I have to do a little more toget it back up to snuff.
check the air filter, replace if dirty/clogged. check plugs/wires for any issues that would affect ignition. Another thing to consider is bypassing the fuel shutoff valve if you're familiar with that, or if you're not, just ask. The fuel shutoff valve is a common failure item as these bikes age, and its a very easy job to bypass and remove it from the system.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
1. remove the seat and right side cover. the fuel cutoff valve is attached to the tank/frame.
2. you will see a small diameter vacuum hose on the diaphragm, remove it and plug it with a small screw or something.
3. the hose coming in from the fuel tank and hose going out to the carbs are the same diameter (I think, don't recall for sure) connect them together, and remove the valve.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
My ST1100 averaged 47 MPG. Are you riding around in 5th instead of 6th on the highway? [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
VStrom 650
I have a 2002 ST1100 with 64,356 miles on it. The best I ever got was 47 MPG U.S.Regular gas as it is not a high compressionengine, so don't use premium as it is a waste of money.43 is what I usually get.But lately I have been getting 39. Now I havenoticed that when I am doing about 75 mph and then twist the throttle wideopen, it doesn't take off like it used to, it feels like it is either notgetting enough air, or not feeding the fuel through as fast as it shouldbe.It is only a guess, because otherthan that, it runs fine.I have onlychanged oil and spark plugs on it, so I assume I have to do a little more toget it back up to snuff.Any suggestionson getting it back to where it was?
I can only talk about UK fuel but super unleaded here makes a real difference to my 11. Yes it's more expensive, eye wateringly so by US prices but the bike runs a whole lot better. I don't particularly put this down to extra Octane, 99 is available, but more down to the added cleaning properties and it's so much better on lay ups. I can get well over 50 to a proper gallon and nearer to 60 if I try. Which I don't.
This mileage is achieved two up with luggage, obviously higher speed means less mpg and motorways at 80 plus take there till and that sees mpg nearer to 40.
I'm not saying it increases mpg, but the gains are evident in the way it rides.
Upt'North.

Bike
2002 Honda ST1100
I will do the petcock when I get back. I am in Calif, where we ride year round, and flying out to Chicago for a week on business.

Regardn 6th Gear. What 6th gea, my 2002 ST1100 only has 5 gears. Is there something different between Europe's PAN and the U.S.'s ST1100?

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
No matter how many times I try mine won't go into 6th.
Gotta admit tho, that a few times on the two-lane @ 60 mph , I ran in 4th for several miles before I realized I had 5th gear left. Wearing earplugs with that smooth V-4 makes for even smoother cruising.

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Gotta admit tho, that a few times on the two-lane I ran in 4th for several miles before I realized I had 5th gear left. Wearing earplugs with that smooth V-4 makes for even smoother cruising.
I'm with ya on that one. However when you crack the throttle it responds super quick and makes you feel young again ;)

Top Bottom