Do you use a breaker bar?

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Some one asked me to show them my tool kit that I carry on the ST the other day.
I was laying out the tools and explaining why I carry each one etc.
He was shocked when he picked up my breaker bar, and asked what I needed that for, and why didn't I just carry a ratchet instead?
Too many years to admit, when I was young and building engines and working on diesel engines, my father taught me the the correct way to use tools (ratchets).
His Snap On box is probably over 80 years old, and all the tools are still in perfect working condition.
He's never broken a ratchet wrench, or air ratchet in his all his years of working as a professional mechanic!
Every time he needed to remove a part, he would walk over with the correct socket and breaker bar, and break all the fasteners loose, before using his ratchet or air wrench.
This was passed onto me at a very early age.
I still use several of his older tools to this day.
I use a breaker bar in my tool kit instead of a ratchet because it is stronger, and more reliable, and less likely to fail (KISS).
While I may be a little bit slower removing something, I'll never be stranded with a jammed or skipping ratchet that I can't use.
I have two Snap On flex head ratchets ( 3/8 and 1/2 ) that I have abused by using them instead of using a breaker bar, so before all you tool truck junkies throw down the "its a snap on", "it can handle it", "they'll give me a new one when I break it", speech, save it, I am not interested in hearing how you abuse tools, but rather interested in how you take care of your tools.
So, do you use a breaker bar?

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
I went to put the snow tires on last week on the wife's vehicle and the first thing I went for was the breaker bar and a 19 mm impact socket.
It wasn't in my rollaway drawer where I normally keep it, (yes I have 2 mechanically inclined boys) so I pulled out the 1/2" Makita Impact gun, boy was that the right tool to use along with my floor jack.
No impact tools have ever been used on my bikes thou.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Always to loosen the lug nuts when flipping over winter / summer cage wheels and to loosen the ST rear axle nut.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I also use a breaker bar almost exclusively with eight points sockets. If the space is tight I I'll use a twelve point socket because of its increased range of swing angle.
Edit - I meant six point sockets. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Yup - I always start off with a breaker bar. I was taught that the purpose of it is precisely that: to break a fastener loose.

A ratchet is then used to spin the fastener off (or on).

Pete

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Last edited:

RCS

Yes, I do what you do. I use a breaker bar to break the fastener loose and then use my ratchets. In addition to my Snap-on flex head ratchets I broke down and purchased a full set of Gearwrench 120xp flex head ratchets. Those come in real handy when working in tight places.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I had to see if an 8 point would fit a hex nut size for size. Yes it will.
I thought I had tried it in the past when I was a wee bit younger of a lad and it didn't, but I'll take your word and drawing for it.

Hmm.. then again... maybe I was trying to go the other way, 12 pt socket on 4 pt hardware.

Bike
R1200rt
I had to see if an 8 point would fit a hex nut size for size. Yes it will.

14mm hex.jpg

BUT you only have less than 1.14mm or .045 of an inch of socket to hex contact.
have a expensive set of round sockets for those stubborn rusted bolts

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Quick version...never use a breaker bar to tighten anything, and I did use it recently to break free a couple of bolts (the TB tensioner and left cam pulley)- I think you have more control with a breaker bar vs struggling with a ratchet handle and possibly having it fly off the bolt you’re trying to loosen or bust a knuckle/ cut a finger. It seems to loosen with a lot more finesse.

Last edited:

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I use both. Depends on the room. Teaching my kids the correct way. I have a few ratchets that need replacing when I didn't. With experience comes wisdom.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom