Do you use a breaker bar?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I think a lot of auto techs are going to the battery operated cordless impact guns
And all the house renovation/repair guys to- and they strip the threads on everything. 300 in/lb. impact gun on #8 sheet metal screws or electrical box screws- really!

As for the breaker bar- I have several and I use them when I deem it to be necessary.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
That falls into the whole “mis-application of tools” category for sure. I’ve spent over 30 years in healthcare maintenance and have seen so many epic fails due to using the wrong tool for the job.... I have one of those drivers at home, and let me tell you- that thing will drive a big lag bolt into a 4x4 in no time flat! I use mine to remove lug nuts off the car when I don’t feel like uncoiling the air compressor hose....
And all the house renovation/repair guys to- and they strip the threads on everything. 300 in/lb. impact gun on #8 sheet metal screws or electrical box screws- really!

As for the breaker bar- I have several and I use them when I deem it to be necessary.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
:doh1: Yup! Furniture delivery guys do the same with wood screws--they're always in a hurry and run the drill too fast, too high of a torque (thinking they'll release the trigger fast enough to avoid stripping the screws).

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
A breaker bar is a very useful tool, I have one and use it from time to time. I would never trade my air impact gun for it though and would never use my breaker bar "first". If and when the air impact gun struggles to get the nut or bolt off, then out the breaker bar comes.
An air impact gun is a safer and better way of preventing snapping the stud off because of the back and forth jolting action of the gun. Everyone knows that going slow on a stubborn bolt or nut, is a good way to break it off.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
A breaker bar is a very useful tool, I have one and use it from time to time. I would never trade my air impact gun for it though and would never use my breaker bar "first". If and when the air impact gun struggles to get the nut or bolt off, then out the breaker bar comes.
An air impact gun is a safer and better way of preventing snapping the stud off because of the back and forth jolting action of the gun. Everyone knows that going slow on a stubborn bolt or nut, is a good way to break it off.
Good information, however, if you re-read the first post, you'll see that I use a breaker bar in my bikes tool kit because its stronger and more reliable, and the correct tool for that application. I don't think you'll be reaching for you IR impact gun or compressor hoses on the side of the road :rolleyes:

Bike
07 ST1300
Wait a minute. Larry you carry a selection of breaker bars on your bike? No, I do not do that. I have a breaker bar in the roll away in 1/2" and I have a 3/8th adapter as well.
I also have many box wrenches and a dead blow hammer. Mostly for SUV brake work. Oh forgive me. SUV, Pickup, and SAV brake work. Know what an SAV is? Tell me if you do.
In 63 years I have damaged one 1/4" craftsman ratchet. I got it with my first tool kit from Dad when I was about 12.
I would not bother with a fastener torqued to 20 foot pounds.
I have also cascaded box wrenches. Talk about a recipe for disaster, but sometimes you have to make do.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I carry a 3/8 in breaker bar and a 3/8-1/2 adapter for the rear axle nut socket (27mm). If I have to deal with removing the rear wheel for whatever reason, I would much rather trust pushing a breaker bar with my foot than a ratchet.
SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle), a SAV (Sports Activity Vehicle).

Top Bottom