ST1100 Top box solution for 2 helmet box

My st11 came with the small Honda top box. Colour matched and looks nice.

My only issue with it was it wouldnt take a helmet. Not even one helmet.
I had this big bike, loads of luggage capacity but no helmet storage.

It was worse when her ladyship was on board. She did not like having to lug a helmet around but there wasnt a lot a fella could do - or was there.

I was on a meet up with some friends a few months back and one of them had just got a new NC750. Full size helmet storage under the tank for gods sake.

He also had the full Honda luggage kit as well. Two helmet storage in the top box.

So I started thinking that all I needed to do was swap out the Honda box for maybe a Givi twin helmet box.

Prices were not as bad as I thought but then a trip to my shed I remembered I had a Givi top box but I was sure it was not a twin helmet size.

Well it was, Fitted our two lids perfect. Its a Givi e45 box and I had hardly used it. It had been on my FJ1200 for a while.

So how do i mount the e45 on the Pan.

Started off by stripping everything from the Pan and trying to figure out how the adaptor plate would be made to suit the fixing holes left.
I had to consider carefully the position of the box in relation to the old one and also to allow the right amount of comfort for a fully geared up ladyship.
Involved her sitting on the bike with jacket on and me going " is that ok?".

A little bit of inspiration between myself and the aforementioned NC750 owner and we came up with the plate you see in the photos.
Made from 50mm by 5mm flat steel bar.

We did have to do some grinding on the underside of the Givi plate to make room for the bolt heads but overall it was not too bad.

The Givi plate is held by only two bolts in the slots. However the adaptor is shaped in such a way that the fixing is very strong and solid.

Box mounted, her ladyship is delighted.

Im replacing the gold reflective band with a blue one to match the bike.
Worked out well for me and cost me nothing.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Nice job! One word of caution though. The subframe beneath the mounting bolts is not intended to carry a lot of weight. I think it is spec'ed at 20 pounds max in the OEM box. Carrying heavier loads in the bigger box will stress the arms on the subframe, leading to cracks in said frame. Your steel plate must weigh a few pounds in itself. This problem has happened to others.

Of course, if you are only going to use it for helmet storage when off the bike, the weight won't be levering up and down on the mounting bolts, so that would be OK.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Involved her sitting on the bike with jacket on and me going " is that ok?".
It could have been worse. You could have been trapped in the no-win scenario where she asked you 'Do these Tourmaster pants make my butt look big?'

Nice work on the fitment! Question: do you strap her into those wings like on an E-ticket ride??

Your steel plate must weigh a few pounds in itself. This problem has happened to others...
...Of course, if you are only going to use it for helmet storage when off the bike, the weight won't be levering up and down on the mounting bolts, so that would be OK.
Yeah I'd think about trying to save a pound or two and redo that in aluminum. I guess it would depend on how often he rode double and is also able to resist the temptation to keep the load light. Wonder what the static weight of the extra bits might be.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Did you know the saddlebag will hold most helmets? 1 per saddlebag.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Did you know the saddlebag will hold most helmets? 1 per saddlebag.
Except when the loads of luggage space already has stuff in it. Given the number of riders who have a top box (not to mention trailers) and the amount of hate and discontent over the diminished (luggage) capacity of the new 'Wing it would seem more space is a good thing.

OP
OP
blueboy
Thank you all for the comments, I did get a surprise when I read about the actual max load you are supposed to carry in these top box's. Very low I thought.
However this is not a problem or us.

No. 1 I do not want to be carrying weight up that high, brings up the C of G.
No. 2 Her ladyship and I have a system that one side box is hers, one is mine. Only bits and pieces go in the top box. If we need to bring more - use the Van !!!:smile:

Everyone brings too much anyway and our self imposed limitations have worked well for us.

If I am on my own I obviously have two box's to myself. :)

Ron, I cannot get a full face helmet into my box's. We both have flip up types which are not any bigger than standard but no way will they fit.

ST Gui, the amount of weight I will save by remaking that in aluminum would not be worth the effort and as previously stated the top box will be mostly empty and certainly never reach the 20LB max.

Just a note: I remember when I bought the bike I was being followed by a friend of mine a couple of weeks after, he told me my top box (original) was rattling all over the place. On inspection, the whole rear subframe was loose.

Last edited:
Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Ron, I cannot get a full face helmet into my box's. We both have flip up types which are not any bigger than standard but no way will they fit.
My latest modular did not fit, unless I face it forward, with the chin bar slightly elevated.

Just a note: I remember when I bought the bike I was being followed by a friend of mine a couple of weeks after, he told me my top box (original) was rattling all over the place. On inspection, the whole rear subframe was loose.
[/QUOTE]

Were the bolt(s) missing, or was it cracked at the large hole?

OP
OP
blueboy
Ron,

all bolts were there just the whole assembly was loose.

Backrest was on that box from new. It is very comfortable according to the pillion.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Mike the Givi monokey rack would have bolted down where the existing passenger grad handles bolted on, you can fit a size L ff helmet in the panniers and there are two helmet hooks under the seat as well, I rarely use them though unless for short stops when we are heavily loaded 2up,
and the subframe under the rear cowl cracked on mine as it has for others because of overloading, removed it and had it welded and repainted, all good now, but I only carry the lighter bulkier stuff in the top box. I have used an E55 but have a V46 on at the minute.

OP
OP
blueboy
Broc,

If only a fella had a Givi Monokey Rack.

I must have extra small panniers because there is no way mine will take either of our FF helmets.

I would never use the helmet hooks. Too many temptations for those with nothing better to do.

Bike
VStrom 650
Blueboy, some FF are either very tight or impossible to get in panniers. My old Arai went in no problemo, the Shoei in size XL ( stop giggling you lot ) not a chance but the wife's same Shoei in XS no probs.
So I either have to go to a headshrinker, ride without helmet or carry it around when I stop.
I think the issue is probably down to the increased amount of Shell sizes that are now used.
+1 on Hotels, if I was riding two up and camping I really wouldn't have a clue where to store stuff.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom