Throttle return issue

Hi guys. Bought a set of heated grips from the bay of e. After a bit of a struggle to get the throttle tube off the bike. I eventually got the new one installed. Since installation the throttle doesn't seem to return to its normal position. Also the grips are a little shorter so there is a big gap between the grip and the bar end. Any advice?

i went for these grips as they are inconspicuous and the on off is right at your thumb.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebgay.ie/ulk/itm/253222577089

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
check to make sure your cables are routed correctly in the housing. Sometimes getting the halves of the switch/cable housing back together properly can be tricky!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Is there any drag on the grip under normal operation? Or is it that the grip is just not returning to '0'.

Your link just leads to a general eBay page and not your grips. Do you have the bar end weights installed? could the end be dragging against the bar end weight? Is the end of the grip closed enough that it drags against the end of the bar?

Did you use any adhesive and possibly get it between the throttle tube and the bar? Not likely but you might look for a kink in the inner cable at the throttle tube. Is there any free play in the cable? Some people like 1/8" free play. Is there any drag when you turn manually turn it to 0 then check free play?

Bike
2010 ST1300
The Oxford grips I bought were shorter than my OEM grips. I also have the throttlemeister endweights/throttle drag gizmo. After playing around with them, I ended up putting a fat O-ring on the throttle tube first, then the heated grip, then the throttlemeister. The O-ring (and it might have been a plumbing washer for drains - I don't remember) took up the difference between the oem grip length and the Oxfords.

I find the grips a bit short - esp when using a cramp buster (or not wanting to use it but it is there) but I'm going to live with this until the Oxfords fail.

Your grips look great! I'll probably replace mine when the time comes with your brand - the integrated switch looks much better than Oxfords control.

OP
OP
Is there any drag on the grip under normal operation? Or is it that the grip is just not returning to '0'.

Your link just leads to a general eBay page and not your grips. Do you have the bar end weights installed? could the end be dragging against the bar end weight? Is the end of the grip closed enough that it drags against the end of the bar?

Did you use any adhesive and possibly get it between the throttle tube and the bar? Not likely but you might look for a kink in the inner cable at the throttle tube. Is there any free play in the cable? Some people like 1/8" free play. Is there any drag when you turn manually turn it to 0 then check free play?

Not sure what you mean by drag on the grip. If i twist the throttle it goes no problem but just slowly returns to the zero throttle position. I have to roll it back.

Try this link https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.ie/ulk/itm/253222577089

makes no difference with the bar ends on or off. And part two of the issue is the grips are shorter so there is a good gap between grip and bar end.

Only used adhesive for the clutch side. Can’t see any kinks as I didn’t remove the cabling. Just unhooked it under the kill switch.

OP
OP
Your grips look great! I'll probably replace mine when the time comes with your brand - the integrated switch looks much better than Oxfords control.
THats the one reason I went for them was the switch was nicely hidden and very inconspicuous. I could have sworn someone here uses them as I saw someone here in a thread using them but I can’t find that thread now. Hence why I went looking for them specifically.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If i twist the throttle it goes no problem but just slowly returns to the zero throttle position. I have to roll it back.
That's what I was wondering. Your second link works fine for me. Thanks. The new grips include their own throttle tube. Not that I've seen a lot of heated grips but that's a first for me.

Since you don't feel any resistance when twisting but there's some drag on its return there may be some interference between the new tube and bar.

Do you have any free play in the rotation of the throttle grip when closed? Is there any resistance that you can feel? If cable adjustments look good I'd double check how freely the throttle turn while not connected to the cables. That should help rule out one end of the system or the other.

And pop open the pod to see if there's any debris that might be affecting the return and check that the cables didn't jump track.

The power leads to the grip might also be slowing the return. Does it have enough slack?

Last edited:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I 2nd what Gui suggested. I got a nickel that says the cable jumped track.

OP
OP
Took everything apart. Pulled and pushed the cables a few times. Lubed it up a small bit and everything seems fine now.

Top Bottom