ST1100 rear cowel and pannier rack collar sizes

Bike
ST1100
Been finishing off putting the bike back together today but have come up with a (minor) problem regarding the 6mm bolt collar sizes. I've reinstated both pannier rails with the necessary 8mm and 6mm bolts and collars using parts fiche to make sure I have the right lengths in the right place. This has now left me with 2x 6mm bolts and 23mm collars for the rear cowel (the front upper bolts above the side panel grommet). But when these are fitted the collars are too long and there is a gap of around 9-10mm between frame and rail. I've checked the parts fiche but they have the wrong part identified on the diagram so can't check the length. The only way to get near a solution without cutting down the collars is to swap the top rear (14.5mm) rail collar with the 23mm cowel collar. This leaves a bit of play in the rail at the 6mm mounting point (although the 8mm bolt above it secures it to the frame) but the tightens the cowel. I'm quite happy to cut the collars down but can't understand why there is a problem in the first place. Please does anyone have any ideas? :confused:

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Not ever having had that area apart on my bike, the only thing I can tell you, which may have bearing on the problem you perceive, is that the pannier mounting system is designed to have a small amount of "slop" to it. That is, the rails are not supposed to be tightly held in place.

OP
OP
Big-E
Bike
ST1100
Not ever having had that area apart on my bike, the only thing I can tell you, which may have bearing on the problem you perceive, is that the pannier mounting system is designed to have a small amount of "slop" to it. That is, the rails are not supposed to be tightly held in place.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Many thanks

Bike
VStrom 650
I had all this apart a couple of years ago and I'm sure as per Bush there is a lot of play designed into the system but it does feel strange when reassembling. The idea I believe is to allow the panniers to move to reduce weave. New Honda top boxes also have this SLOP.
Nice word SLOP, I'll use it more.
Upt'North.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The panniers are well known on the ST1100 to 'move around'. Some folks have come up with 'cures' but I figure that's the way Honda designed them. Also, the Hondaline TopBox has a lot of 'wiggle' or SLOP as was noted. The first time I installed the top box rack I thought I made a mistake. :D

OP
OP
Big-E
Bike
ST1100
I had all this apart a couple of years ago and I'm sure as per Bush there is a lot of play designed into the system but it does feel strange when reassembling. The idea I believe is to allow the panniers to move to reduce weave. New Honda top boxes also have this SLOP.
Nice word SLOP, I'll use it more.
Upt'North.
Cheers, I think the parts fiche had the wrong measurement for the upper, rear rack. Thinking back, I'm sure there was some play in the rear of the rack.

OP
OP
Big-E
Bike
ST1100
The panniers are well known on the ST1100 to 'move around'. Some folks have come up with 'cures' but I figure that's the way Honda designed them. Also, the Hondaline TopBox has a lot of 'wiggle' or SLOP as was noted. The first time I installed the top box rack I thought I made a mistake. :D
Thanks for replying Phil. I'll get it sorted in the morning.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Many thanks
The play in mine was excessive in my opinion so I took up the slack with a piece of fuel line cut to cushion the play, not eliminate it. Still wiggles, but no more rattling noises.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I just had one of mine in my workshop and grabbed hold of the 'rails' the bags hang on. And yes, they do 'wiggle' a bit with no bag hanging on them.
I noticed this on my 2000 years ago and just figured it was designed that way. I never did any fixes of any kind and just make sure the latches are secure before a ride.

OP
OP
Big-E
Bike
ST1100
I noticed this on my 2000 years ago and just figured it was designed that way. I never did any fixes of any kind and just make sure the latches are secure before a ride.
I suspect it's the rear upper 14.5mm collar that is incorrect in the fiche as the rack is rock solid with this in place.

Top Bottom