importing ST1100 from Canada to US

Bike
Honda 2000 ST1100
Hi all.... bought Canadian 2000 ST1100 in Canada and tried to import it to US.... it has EPA Sticker.... but no DOT info on the bike so customs wouldn't clear it.... how can I find out if it's DOT compliant and get proper documentation to that effect?

and by extension... does anyone in US have a Canadian ST1100.... how did you get it to US... any suggestions on importers to use?

i thank you all in advance for your help.... REALLY want to get my ST on the road.....

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Back in 1999 I bought a V45 Sabre in Canada and brought it in to the US. No I didn't follow the rules, I had to have the guy that I bought it from ride it across the border and I picked it up a few miles below the border.

It might be a PIA....

Once you get it past the border, it will be up to your state to "tag it".

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
For what it's worth I decided not to buy a US bike because of the hassle of importing.
I think SuperSabre is on the right track.

Though having the previous owner drive it across the border for you may not be feasible.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
Honda 2000 ST1100
Thanks suprasabre.... yes I actually have the bike in Maryland... as US customs let me drive it down to Maryland and once I have the DOT paperwork ... they said just go to Baltimore CBP to Import the bike officially .... so that I can then register it in Maryland....

The twist is that the bike has EPA STICKER but no DOT sticker... so I need letter for DOT compliance which Canada Honda can’t give me and US Honda seems clueless..... grrrrrrrrrr

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Just so I haven't lost the plot:
Dan buys a 93 ST1100 from a Canadian who delivers it to Maryland.
Dan can't register said bike because it doesn't have a DOT sticker.
Contact is made with Karen as she imported a bike from Canada a few years back.
Karen tells Dan that she imported that exact motorcycle i.e. same VIN.
Have I missed something or did Karen import a different 93 ST1100?

If it's the exact same bike that has to be some kind of cosmic coincidence.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Just so I haven’t lost the plot:
Dan can’t register said bike because it doesn’t have a DOT sticker.

If it’s the exact same bike that has to be some kind of cosmic coincidence.

???

My take... "exact same bike" equals same exact same model/year, not same VIN.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Did she have to produce the DOT letter? If so, does she still have it?
I'm guessing either she was female vs male or her state did not require the DOT letter.

Females get away with lots to a male border patrol officer. I always need to carry my get out of jail free card when I cross the border:rolleyes:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If nothing has changed you will need a completed and signed U.S. D.O.T. HS-7 form. It is available from their website. Because you are importing the vehicle in to the U.S. you also require a compliance letter from Honda U.S. The U.S. division of a given manufacturer has to state that the vehicle meets the U.S. standards. The letter must include the vehicle model, year and VIN number and state that it is compliant with U.S. D.O.T. and E.P.A. standards. They will probably write it in fancy legal-ease but the required information really is that basic. To get this compliance letter you need to contact the Honda U.S. Customer Relations Department in Torrence California at 1-800-999-1009.

Again, fair warning, the above is if nothing has changed- it has been a while.

Bike
1991 st1100
STOC #
Called Honda US to request compliance letter and was told they do not do that...said they receive 3 calls a day regarding this...they did not give any solution to obtaining dot compliance letter. I was told to go to an importer. Some of the worst customer service I have ever seen.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just so I haven't lost the plot:
Dan can't register said bike because it doesn't have a DOT sticker.

If it's the exact same bike that has to be some kind of cosmic coincidence.

Maybe Dan needs to sell it to Karen, let her register it, then resell it back to Dan and he can take the Title that Karen got to get it registered! :think1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have a look here- Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Canadian) (September 2017)

The section of this document that applies to you (Box 2B of the U.S. D.O.T. HS-7 form) was last updated September 2017. It looks to me like nothing has changed and as I wrote in my previous post it is the manufacturer's responsibility to provide the compliance letter. The U.S. government even provides the contact information for each manufacturer in the document I linked to above. I agree with you- crappy customer service. Maybe try the Honda Canada contact listed in this document- hopefully you might have a little better luck.

OP
OP
Bike
Honda 2000 ST1100
Maybe Dan needs to sell it to Karen, let her register it, then resell it back to Dan and he can take the Title that Karen got to get it registered! :think1:
I like you guys thinking... lol.... got to hear back from Karen.... ;)

OP
OP
Bike
Honda 2000 ST1100
Have a look here- Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Canadian) (September 2017)

The section of this document that applies to you (Box 2B of the U.S. D.O.T. HS-7 form) was last updated September 2017. It looks to me like nothing has changed and as I wrote in my previous post it is the manufacturer's responsibility to provide the compliance letter. The U.S. government even provides the contact information for each manufacturer in the document I linked to above. I agree with you- crappy customer service. Maybe try the Honda Canada contact listed in this document- hopefully you might have a little better luck.
thanks for all the effort and figuring this out... YES... Crappy Honda Customer Service.... Had no issue getting that letter from Suzuki and i brought a Vstrom over to US..:rolleyes: If anyone has previous experience with an Importer..... that will shorten my search.... thanks again to ALL for your help....

OP
OP
Bike
Honda 2000 ST1100
Called Honda US to request compliance letter and was told they do not do that...said they receive 3 calls a day regarding this...they did not give any solution to obtaining dot compliance letter. I was told to go to an importer. Some of the worst customer service I have ever seen.
Ya.. talk about hitting your head against a wall.... again i say... Suzuki... i light years ahead of Honda in that department... LOL...

Top Bottom