6 point or 12 point wrenches?

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Does anyone own/use any 6 point long pattern wrenches?
I find myself reaching more and more for the 6 points.
I'm looking at adding some new sets of SK Long pattern wrenches to my collection, and am thinking of both styles.
In sockets, I always use 6 point when I can, and 12 point if I need to.
However, given a choice of only one set of LP wrenches, would you chose 6 point or 12 point?
Just wondering.

Last edited:

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I always use 6 point by default, sockets and wrenches. I do own a few of my granddads 12 point wrenches and they do come in handy when you're in a area with short throws. Even then I use a 6 point to break it free and then the 12 point to spin it off.

When I was a young mechanic and on my first job the old timers told me that 12 points were for light torque applications only. One rounded nut from using a 12 point and I lost my money on that job. Didn't take long to ditch my 12 points.

Long reach wrenches will generate more torque on the bolt or nut, thus increasing the chance of rounding a stubborn fastener.

That my $.02

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I always use 6 point by default, sockets and wrenches. I do own a few of my granddads 12 point wrenches and they do come in handy when you're in a area with short throws. Even then I use a 6 point to break it free and then the 12 point to spin it off.

When I was a young mechanic and on my first job the old timers told me that 12 points were for light torque applications only. One rounded nut from using a 12 point and I lost my money on that job. Didn't take long to ditch my 12 points.

Long reach wrenches will generate more torque on the bolt or nut, thus increasing the chance of rounding a stubborn fastener.

That my $.02

Sent using Tapatalk
Same here. No reason to have only one or the other. 12 points for tight spots only.

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
Got to have both, when it comes to those tight spots. I tend to use more 3/8" drive now for the harder to get areas but they're a bit fragile when you've got a scaffolding bar on the end of the breaker bar. In a previous life I needed impact sockets for rattle guns and although the Snap-On's weren't cheap, they're now we'll over thirty years old and still going strong. I also have a 1/4" drive Snap-On set and likewise it's invaluable at times and my only real concern is who to leave it to because it doesn't look like I'll wear it out.
Upt'North.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
6-point if I have that size and there's enough room. 12-point otherwise.

I've found the majority of bolt heads, at their respective torque, are not significantly damaged with a 12 point. But then, I don't wrench everyday, at least not since college.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
6 point for long pattern SAE and metric. 12 point in shorter patterns, allows for more accessibility in tight spots. My Snap-On set came that way.
I do have 6 point in short pattern for metric (S-K) and SAE and use them whenever possible in high torque applications. These sockets are over 40 years old.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have to use whatever I find... I have so many "sets" and seem to never find what I'm looking for until I don't need it anymore. I've rounded off a few heads back in the early days of turning wrenches, but I've never done it professionally (more like necessity - couldn't afford to pay someone to work on my bikes), so 90% of what I do is/was self taught! :eek:4:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Both for all the reasons mention. And short wrenches. Same thing with ratchets— Snap-On fine tooth ratchet for if you ain't got that swing.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Oh yeah!
Last time I rode the ST was before Christmas.
Weather, Christmas, blah, blah, blah got in the way.
Forecast looks good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
2010 ST1300
Twelve point - because most of my (amateur) wrenching has been on cars in restricted areas. When I hit a stubborn nut or bolt, out comes the 6 point socket and breaker bar or impact wrench. I find that 6 point sockets cover most everything, but I started out buying 12 point for the flexibility (with a breaker bar) and after damaging a few nuts I graduated to the 6 point.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I use 6 point sockets almost exclusively, but my longish combo wrenches are SnapOn 12-pt that I've used since the early '80s without any issues.

I've even been known to use the open end part as well, oh the horrors!!!!

Top Bottom