6 point or 12 point wrenches?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Where do you buy them Al?
Everyone has a variation on this theme. You can get similar wrenches at Hopot, Lowes, Ace Hardware stores (Crafstman brand), and all the big manufacturers - Snap-on, Mac, Wright, etc. have them. Prices and (probably) quality vary. I know these are USA brands/stores, but you must have the equivalent where you live.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Where do you buy them Al?
Dave,
I purchased 3 sets on sale from Canadian tire years ago, thinking 6-7 years ago when they came out and the last set through Acklands with my company discount. They are a Westwood and motormaster brand and are guaranteed for life.
Try them and you'll never go back to a regular wrench. Also mine have the flex head and you can get the rigid head if you prefer.
10mm flex head just flops in the wind as I've used it so many times.

You won't believe what your missing by not using them. Wish I had more things to take apart and put back together with them.

Edit:
Just checked the weekly Canadian Tire flyer online and they are $80 off. $49.
Now that's like $10 bucks in American money:pray1:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I bought 4 sets of these in metric. They go on sale quite often and I use them before I pick up any other combination wrench.
Your wrists will love them.
Also, I only do about 10 hours of wrenching a year

http://www.gearwrench.com
Only problem with those type of wrenches is you will need a breaker bar and socket or a standard wrench to break the fastener loose or risk damaging the ratcheting gear etc. I have seen gearwrench (sold off the truck) refuse to warranty them telling folks it appeared they used them wrong etc. My only complaint is the heads are often too big to reach in tight areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have been guilty of daisy chaining wrenches in an emergency, however I found it much safer to go get the correct tool before injuring my hands lol.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
Tools, tools, More tools.. How easy do you want to do the work? Depends on what you want to work on. I have to work on everything except spaceships! LOL.. I've been wrenching forever. I have literally tons of tools. just for home use. I don't have enough tools! There is a tool for every job that makes the job easier. The older I get the easier I want it to go.. The quality of the tools has a major impact on everything. Break a tool in the middle of a 2 minute job and see what happens. OR you can pay someone else to do the work?
I have to have both 12 pt and 6pt, long and short, straight and offset, ratcheting and fixed.. I could go on and on as you all know.
Anyone change a starter in a newer ford truck or car?? You first will need about 8 feet of 1/2" drive extensions!
I'll have to get some pictures on here of some cool stuff.. I got a wrench 24"!! for a 18" diameter bolt.. LOL! I use it with a crane. Like a 50 tonner or better..
I've used 4" drive hydraulic wrench with 12" socket! Cool stuff!
I tell my better half there will be a hellova auction when I die!

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
The railroad used to use 5 point headed bolts with their own sockets. Think about it. It's an Odd Number and you can't get ahold of it with an adjustable wrench. It deterred theft and tampering.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
My wife tells me that between my brother and I, we own all the tools known to man.

My brother mentioned to me years ago that we should open up a tool rental company.

Just like Ohiodeere said, I hope I go before my brother as I don't want to deal with all of his tools. I think he also has 3 of everything like me in different sizes.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The railroad used to use 5 point headed bolts with their own sockets. Think about it. It's an Odd Number and you can't get ahold of it with an adjustable wrench. It deterred theft and tampering.
I believe that is the same reasoning behind the pentagonal valve bolts on fire hydrants; not the theft part so much but the prevent tampering.

Top Bottom