Red Button behind speedo/tach

STgriz

The Old Bear
OK - I have searched this forum and my shop manual, and the answer is probably in both places, but I can't find it. What is the function of the red push-button on the back of the speedometer/tachometer cluster? I'm sure it is a reset of something, but don't want to find out the hard way that it arms the self-destruct mechanism. Thanx, all, for tolerating my ineptitude. -Tha' Bear

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
If your bike has a Speedo Healer and it is your ST1300, it could be the Max Speed recall button. If pressed with the bike on, the speedometer needle will show the max speed since last reset. Press and release to see the max. Press and hold till the needle returns to zero will reset the Max.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Is the button integrated into the back of the panel or part of an attached add-on box/component?? Need photo.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My speedohealer is a small black box with the buttons on said box and a digital number readout pad that will tell you the correction factor that was set. If your button in question is part of the OEM speedo housing, ignore this post. If it is on a small box attached (however professionally or crudely) to the back of said housing, Kevin is probably right. Since there are more than one generation of SH's out there, I hesitate to completely describe mine.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yeah, I think you are right, it's the self destruct button! :nuke1: :eek:4:

I've never seen that before.... But I don't do the Speedo Healer, either...I just use the Cop Speedos for accurate mileage! ;)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Um... not sure what anybody could be doing with a switch in that position, unless it's hooked to gear position indicator and it's the remote button for programming.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Most alarm systems have a hidden over ride button. Perhaps it once had an alarm system that was removed.

Either that, or the self destruct button.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Does not look O.E. Too many marks around it from installation. (Plus located so close to the molded-in "rib" suggests other than manufacturer install.)
Also that backing nut is about to fall off.

Contacting previous owner may help.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Not the recall button for the speedo healer. I do not have the adjustable windscreen. The terminal strips also look like an add on. Why in a place that is not easy to access? To each there own.

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have to know the answer to this question??? Nobody else has asked.... what happens when you push it ST griz?
I'm having visions of a spring loaded boxing glove.... maybe I watched too many cartoons when I was a kid?

OP
OP
STgriz

STgriz

The Old Bear
You guys are a barrel of laughs!! I finally got in touch with the previous owner - he sez it is the reset button for the digital gear indicator, the guts of which are inside the bezel. So - if the indicator ever quits, gets out of synch, or I get tired of counting up to five and down to one, I will disassemble the fairing and give it a push. For the benefit of you all, I will video that push. Given the PO's rather puckish sense of humor, I am putting money on "boxing glove." We shall see . . .

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That's definitely not factory whatever it is. I doubt it's even dealer installed though that could be a possibility especially if not a Honda dealer.

Alarm reset behind the speedo/tach? Doubtful. It would have to be a needed but seldom needed function to put the switch in less a than handy and possibly hidden spot.

Maybe it tests some functionality you'd need to know when working in that area so you don't have to use a big mirror or have somebody saying 'Yep... Nope... Almost... You got it...' (Still talking about the bike.)

It's not for dumping 'shine on Thunder Road in case the revenooers are on your tail.

Bike
2010 ST1300
For the benefit of you all, I will video that push. Given the PO's rather puckish sense of humor, I am putting money on "boxing glove." We shall see . . .
I was going to suggest it was the ejection seat button (yeah, I know its hard to reach). When you do the video, prop the phone/camera on something nearby just in case...this way there will be a record for posterity.

Top Bottom