Uh, Oh... Dripping From Here...

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out what this leak is. Attached is a picture from the shop manual where the leak is coming from. It’s a small drip leak from the two bolts where the arrows are pointing. Not sure what the liquid is either. Leaves a small drip when I park it and smokes, because it’s dripping on the headers, when I start it.

Do you know what this part is? I can’t find a reference to it in the manual anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

VC_ST_Drip.jpg

Last edited:

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Did you have the valve covers off recently? If so, you might have pinched the valve cover gasket and engine oil may be seeping down when parked on the sidestand.

OP
OP
Old Ninja
Did you have the valve covers off recently? If so, you might have pinched the valve cover gasket and engine oil may be seeping down when parked on the sidestand.
Yup, I had a valve adjustment done recently. Only drips when parked on the side stand. That must be it. Back to the STealer!!

Thanks, Dave!!

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's where you loosen the cam chain tensioner I believe. Did they do an actual adjustment? If so, they would have had to take out a bolt and place a honda tood - or screwdriver - in there to loosen the cam chain tensioner for removing the cams to replace shims. That is if I'm looking at that pic correctly.. could be they just didn't tighten down that bolt.

IMG_1065-XL.jpg

OP
OP
Old Ninja
That is if I'm looking at that pic correctly.. could be they just didn't tighten down that bolt.
Yup, that's the spot. It was hard for me to get a good picture because my tupperware isn't off. But you got it. It's just bolted onto the left side there with those three bolts; two on each side and one that's raised in the middle. I recently had the valves adjusted at the local dealer and they said they made adjustments (showed me notes). I know valve adjustment might be routine for a lot of you, but not for me... I just don't trust myself with this level of engine maintenance, but I've known this dealer for a little while and they've been reliable and reasonable, so far.

Should I try and get up in there and see if I can tighten it? Or maybe I'll ride it back to the STealer this morning and let them fix it? It's early and I haven't decided yet...

P.S. I've owned this 2003 non-ABS ST1300 for four years. Purchased it with 40k and she now registers 80k. Figured it was time the valves were looked at...

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Would save you a trip if it was just that center bolt wasn't tightened. I don't know how easy that is to get to without the side fairing off - maybe through the tip over area w/cover removed? That way you could also confirm it's JUST that bolt and not coming from the valve cover itself.

OP
OP
Old Ninja
Would save you a trip if it was just that center bolt wasn't tightened. I don't know how easy that is to get to without the side fairing off - maybe through the tip over area w/cover removed? That way you could also confirm it's JUST that bolt and not coming from the valve cover itself.
I only have to remove that bottom cowl on the left side and I think I can get my skinny arm up and in there. I'll check it out and post back.

Thanks, Mellow!

OP
OP
Old Ninja
Looks like you were correct, Mellow. That center bolt was not fully tightened. It wasn't loose, but I was able to give it about a third of a turn.

It's a small 8mm bolt and my 8mm wrench has a very short handle, but I was able to get it on there and give it about a third of a turn before I couldn't go any further with just my finger strength on that short handle in that small space. After five minutes of idling it looks like the small drip has stopped, but I'll have to check a couple of more times to make sure. Do you think that third of a turn is sufficient? I get better and faster at taking off the side fairing every time I do it, but I have these little LEDs in my side mirrors and I seem to break them every other time I take the mirror cowling off. The perfectionists among us I'm sure will suggest I take it all off and make sure I've tightened that bolt enough.

But what do you think, oh wise Mellow? Was that third of a turn with all of my finger strength good enough?

P.S. In your picture, Mellow, not sure if you're using the screwdriver as a pointer or if your center bolt is tightened with a screw head, but my center bolt is topped with an 8mm bolt head.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Looks like you were correct, Mellow. That center bolt was not fully tightened. It wasn't loose, but I was able to give it about a third of a turn.

It's a small 8mm bolt and my 8mm wrench has a very short handle, but I was able to get it on there and give it about a third of a turn before I couldn't go any further with just my finger strength on that short handle in that small space. After five minutes of idling it looks like the small drip has stopped, but I'll have to check a couple of more times to make sure. Do you think that third of a turn is sufficient? I get better and faster at taking off the side fairing every time I do it, but I have these little LEDs in my side mirrors and I seem to break them every other time I take the mirror cowling off. The perfectionists among us I'm sure will suggest I take it all off and make sure I've tightened that bolt enough.

But what do you think, oh wise Mellow? Was that third of a turn with all of my finger strength good enough?

P.S. In your picture, Mellow, not sure if you're using the screwdriver as a pointer or if your center bolt is tightened with a screw head, but my center bolt is topped with an 8mm bolt head.
It's not really under a lot of pressure, the only thing I see in the manual is 'tighten the sealing bolt securely' .. so probably 10-15 ft lbs if even that... I'm thinking what you did was sufficient.

The picture is with the bolt removed and a screw driver inserted and turned to release the pressure on the cam chain so you can remove the chain from the cam/sprockets for the adjustment portion.

I would just keep an eye on it and see if it leaks.

OP
OP
Old Ninja
I would just keep an eye on it and see if it leaks.
That's what I'm going to do. Easy to spot because the drops drip on the headers and burn off after a cold start with a nice little plume of white smoke rising from the left side. Dissipates after a few minutes. That'll be my first sign.

Thanks, Mellow. I appreciate your input and advice. Thank you, too, Mr. STumped!

Top Bottom