Battery Terminal Bolt Specs?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Does anybody happen to know the specs for the battery terminal bolts in the ST1300's OEM Yuasa battery? I need to get a couple that are a skosh longer.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
When I needed some longer ones I went to a local powersports place and the guy had a boxload of em. Lots of lengths. He just said help yourself.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I am guessing they are M8s. I know they have 10mm head. At work, otherwise could go out to garage and measure. I have at least 20 out there.
FWIW, I have found it easier to leave the battery terminals just for the (+) and (-) cables and take power from the hot side of the solenoid and ground to the seat bolts on the frame.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sometimes placing a little piece of plastic under the nut will push it up so the bolt will engage the threads. Unless you are putting a lot of extra electrical FARKLEs on, in which case you might be better off adding a fuse block!

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
DeanR said:
When I needed some longer ones I went to a local powersports place and the guy had a boxload of em. Lots of lengths. He just said help yourself.
There's a store closer to me than the local ACE. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

jmcarruth said:
FWIW, I have found it easier to leave the battery terminals just for the (+) and (-) cables and take power from the hot side of the solenoid and ground to the seat bolts on the frame.
I'll keep that in mind and look for the solenoid. At the very least I'll use the seat bolts to take a load off the terminal. Thanks!

SupraSabre said:
Sometimes placing a little piece of plastic under the nut will push it up so the bolt will engage the threads.
Currently (I'm here all week!) I've got a short length of ty-rap shaped in a U holding the nut up against the inside of each terminal.

SupraSabre said:
Unless you are putting a lot of extra electrical FARKLEs on, in which case you might be better off adding a fuse block!
Guilty. Most of the kit is low-current draw and one day I may get 'round to adding a fuse box. I'm just trying Q&D and know that ST isn't supposed to mean shade-tree. But picking a fuse box is like choosing an oil or filter or spline lube.

Bike
2010 ST1300
But picking a fuse box is like choosing an oil or filter or spline lube.
Yup, for the first three (fusebox,oil, filter) it makes no difference except in your mind. For the last, it also doesn't if you heed Honda's printed instructions in the service manual.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Guilty. Most of the kit is low-current draw and one day I may get 'round to adding a fuse box. I'm just trying Q&D and know that ST isn't supposed to mean shade-tree. But picking a fuse box is like choosing an oil or filter or spline lube.
I'll make it easy for you. Bluesea fuse block Either the 6hot6ground or the 6hot running off a 50amp relay and fuse (only need ONE wire to the battery and I run the fuseblock off the hotside of the starter relay).

I have them on the three bikes I've been riding for the last four* years. Once I get them back all running, I'll get another one and make a harness for the '04#1.

Bluesea Fuse_Blocks ST_Blade

*I started using these with the '05 some 12 years back.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I'll make it easy for you. Bluesea fuse block
Easy is good. I may hit you up for details of your install. The Bluesea had been mentioned before and looks to be clean and functional. I like that in a fuse box.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Why do you have a preference for no negative buss Unc?
So I don't have run my ground wires all the way back to the BlueSea unit. I guess if you are pulling wires, two are as easy as one to pull, but I started out with another fuseblock (which came apart on a long road trip) that only had 'hots' so I continued wiring that way.

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ok, so something like this fed by a 50A relay?

6 30A circuits / no negative buss / fed by 50A relay? With the possible exception of a GPS I wouldn't be using any of the labeled devices.

Huh. That pic turned out to be a little bigger than I expected.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Ok, so something like this fed by a 50A relay?

6 30A circuits / no negative buss / fed by 50A relay? With the possible exception of a GPS I wouldn't be using any of the labeled devices.

Huh. That pic turned out to be a little bigger than I expected.
Lots of folks use those. I'm cheap so a autozone one like this
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-156001020-ATC-Fuse-Panel/dp/B00139KJ7Q
was maybe 10 bucks.

The grounds are just tied to a generic terminal block with a jumper plate also from the auto parts place or junk box.
http://www.marathonsp.com/670a-gp-100-double-row-terminal-blocks.php etc.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The problem I had with one of those is that it came apart on a rough paved road headed for Alaska - at a time when I really needed my heated gear and CB radio. I managed to tape it back together for the rest of the trip but when I got back I researched them and switched to the BlueSea models.

http://www.unclephil.us/Alaska2004Day05.htm

Top Bottom