CorTech 18L Magnetic Tank Bag

Anybody bought one?

• Nope.. too expensive and don’t need it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
TankBag.

After 2 years of ownership, I feel qualified and compelled to review this bag.

I've owned quite a few tank bags throughout the years and THIS one is by far the best. I've owned both generic and name brand (Nelson Rigg, Held, etc...) and can truthfully recommend this CorTech above them all. It's not without faults, yet it's so good, the niggling bits are easy to forgive.

From the moment I received the bag as a gift it has impressed. The bag is crafted with real attention to detail and practicality. It's made a lot like the CorTech manta bags, in that it's formed of high quality “constructed of 1680 denier ballistic polyester and 1800 denier twill Jacquard (which may not be indestructible, but it'll due until the real ones arrive!). It's showing very few signs of wear even after being used and abused for in excess of 2years.

The bags only really poorly thought out bit, seems to be the main compartment zipper. Unlike every other bag I've owned, CorTech inexplicably decided to go with a one zipper opening design.

That aside, you'll be delighted with the size, functionality and practicality of this bag. Unzip the top and you'll find an integrated organizer inside the lid.

I use it to keep track of pens, paper, flashlights, etc.. it's well designed and has multiple pockets and pen holders. As well as a lanyard for keys, should you chose to keep them in your bag. It has a removable Velcro cover that reveals a port for earbuds or a water tube. (I use a bladder from a small camelback in mine).

The interior is lined and the sides are supported by rigid supports that aren't permanently affixed to the side, allowing flexibility. The bag itself is more than roomy enough for day to day things like gloves, a spare phone battery, etc.. and can be expanded by zipping it open to fit a weekends worth of extras!

It can be strapped to the bike, or if you buy the magnetic design, has 8 magnets that are robust and inspire confidence. As with everything else, this bit has been thought through, and the magnets are aligned to quickly snap the ‘wings' closed when removing to take with!

Speaking of which, a well thought through set of padded straps are hidden in a pocket on the backside. These are designed to easily clip to existing clips to quickly turn this already fantastic tank bag into a practical backpack!

The bag come see with a waterproof cover. It's never been used on mine. It fits perfectly, I just found the bag is designed to handle the weather and holds up even to the worst gully washers if nestled behind the ST's substantial weather protection.

There are two exterior pockets, right and left, and two more (front and back) that for me hold screen cleaner and microfiber cloth, spare change for tolls, spare sunglasses, medicines and anything else I might need to reach easily while riding.

If you're looking to buy a bag and want all the bells and whistles, I recommend getting your twin brother to buy you this one! If that fails, for around $130, this bag will NOT disappoint! Learn from my experience and buy the best one the first time. The way most of you care for your equipment, you'll be passing this on to a greatful grandchild one day. It's really that good.

P.s. if you find someone who'll fix the main zipper compartment, by adding a second zipper cheap, please send a link. That's really all this bag needs to be ‘perfect' for me!

Thanks for reading.

Troy/Chance

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Thanks for a great review.

The one thing I don't think you mentioned was whether or not the bag interfered with the handlebar controls.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
The bag comes with a rain cover.

I've had mine for a few years, and agree it's a great bag.
I got mine for Christmas, and it replaced a Cortech Mini that was getting long in the tooth.
it works well on the ST, as well as on the VFR

Steve

OP
OP
Chance

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Thanks for a great review.

The one thing I don't think you mentioned was whether or not the bag interfered with the handlebar controls.
It can.. if you aren’t paying attention when remounting it after a gas stop, you might wake the whole place up with the sound from your stebel air horn! :eek:

It can be aligned pretty easily to NOT cause problems, but it is a significant size, so care must be taken.

OP
OP
Chance

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
is the bag waterproof or does it come with a rain cover
As Steve said, it has a nice rain cover. I never have needed it. The material the bag is made of is very sturdy and I’ve never been able to get it soaked or even ‘wet’. YMMV.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
and it replaced a Cortech Mini
Mine is a Mini as well. Have thought about replacing with this or similar. Is it about the same size as the Mini? Perhaps a side by side picture?
I would likely not be satisfied with a smaller map window, but I would like to have the outer pockets.

OP
OP
Chance

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Mine is a Mini as well. Have thought about replacing with this or similar. Is it about the same size as the Mini? Perhaps a side by side picture?
I would likely not be satisfied with a smaller map window, but I would like to have the outer pockets.
I can’t address the mini questions but the map window is good size and easily removed to load a new map or just to go without.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
I just ordered one. On another note a buddy has a machine shop and made little aluminum brackets and protectors for the switches so tank bags wont hit them. Very cool but I will have to go to his place to get photos.

OP
OP
Chance

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
I just ordered one. On another note a buddy has a machine shop and made little aluminum brackets and protectors for the switches so tank bags wont hit them. Very cool but I will have to go to his place to get photos.
Ask him how much? Those sound very useful! :rolleyes:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
How is it on the paint?
I shudder somewhat at the thought of scratching the pristine paint on the tank.

Also do you think it's big enough to swallow a full size DSLR camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Chance

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
How is it on the paint?
I shudder somewhat at the thought of scratching the pristine paint on the tank.

Also do you think it’s big enough to swallow a full size DSLR camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s padded and has a heavy vinyl almost ‘rubbery’ bottom. I’ve had mine on and off every time I ride, no issues so far!:cool:

One of my favorite things is how easier it goes on and goes off. If you grab the front handle and lift, it lifts right off and the magnets snap into the closed positions. Makes it easy to carry inside if you’re stopped somewhere ‘iffy’.

(I carry a cheap motion sensor alarm in the front pocket, if I’m worried I set that before going inside... it’s loud and will hopefully deter anyone sitting on the bike or grabbing the bag!) see pictures*

It will hold my canon rebel and a 75-300mm lens, a small tripod and extra filters, cleaning stuff, batteries etc.. with room to spare. It’s also nicely lined, so no worries about damaging camera equipment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chance

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Here’s what was in it. It carries more than I’ll ever need!

That doesn’t show the water bladder or the 20,000 ma battery that’s always in there.. :rolleyes:

I was a boyscout, so prepared. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom