Doggy Protection!

Hello All!
I'm looking for some advice for my first ST1300 Farkle and I am hoping yall can assist.
I finally took my pillion passenger out this weekend passed for our Portland Polar Bear Run on Jan 1st and I think she was miserable =o( . It looks like (from looking at her shadow) that she is getting more wind blast on the ST1300 (stock in this regard) than she does on my Ninja 650 with the touring screen.

So, my wonderful and knowledgeable board-mates, what would you recommend to be my best option for getting the wind off my poor puppy? Judging by the shadows of her floppy ears which appear to be mostly flying upand a little bit of gloved hand searching, I think the majority of the wind is coming up from my legs or the lower of the bike, so I am thinking to try to source the OEM Fairing Deflectors (which appear to be only available on the Police variant as a Partzilla order) OR a wider windscreen (but which one?).

Parts are beginning to get harder to find; I know I'm late to the ST Game. However, I am not at all concerned with the wind on myself as the OEM ST1300 a step up from the Ninja 650 as far as wind protection is concerned and the wind only feels like an issue when I look down and realize I am going 75mph in a 55; have to get that torque hand under control!. I am only concerned specifically with about a softball sized space at the small of my back -- as all yall know, you have to keep the pillion happy! =o)

Thank you!
Chibi-Biker

PS
I apologize for the pictures, I really should higher a better photographer =oP

Attachments

Last edited:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Don't have a solution for you.......but the doggie house on the rear seat is just too cool. Do the make them Labador size..??

ToddC

Bike
ST1300
I saw a picture on face book ST forum. Guy had one dog in a tank bag and another in a modified trunk.
IMG_1546.jpg

OP
OP
I wish, ToddC! Unfortunately, that carrier (The Petigo USB bag) is only barely big enough for my 12lb MaltiPoo and that is the largest size =o/. However, it has been an excellent bag for her though I've been thinking about attaching a dog crate to the back to give her more room.

Chef Jim, I love it! Maybe I'll finally break and get a matched top box just for that mod! Though the tank is also a good option. I tried that once on the Ninja but didn't have the room, however, the ST 1300 certainly doesn't lean as much as the ST, so I might have to revisit. The only gross part is the bag is held by straps; not sure I want to put the tank up to add/remove the bag. On the Ninja, I just put the straps under the tail, on the ST1300 I put one under the rear seat and the other under the grab rails.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think googles for a dog on a bike should be as mandatory as a helmet for the rider. And the ability to retreat into the top box is also a plus not that many dogs would us it.

My dog used loved to hang his head out the window. But twice having to take him to the vet for eye injuries ended that. It played hob with the inside of the windows though.

OP
OP
Agreed Gui! She has some cute lavender doggles with some flowers embossed (one of these days I will get a better picture of us and you'll see =oP ). As for the bag, she can lay down in the bag which has a bit of a lip she could hide behind if she wants to.... I'm looking into the Givi cases for some cutting al la Jim's recommendation

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The only gross part is the bag is held by straps; not sure I want to put the tank up to add/remove the bag. On the Ninja, I just put the straps under the tail, on the ST1300 I put one under the rear seat and the other under the grab rails.

Have you considered another tank bag? You could get either a magnetic bag or one that buckles/unbuckles onto the base that is strapped in to place

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
JMHO, but if you put a sound/decibel meter where you put your dog on your motorcycle, I suspect that the poor animal is being subjected to serious, damaging noise levels at highway speed. Canines have pretty delicate, sensitive hearing. Without providing some form of hearing protection one might be accused of animal abuse/cruelty. Again, JMHO. FWIW

John (and Daisy the lab mix)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
JMHO, but if you put a sound/decibel meter where you put your dog on your motorcycle, I suspect that the poor animal is being subjected to serious, damaging noise levels at highway speed. Canines have pretty delicate, sensitive hearing. Without providing some form of hearing protection one might be accused of animal abuse/cruelty. Again, JMHO. FWIW

John (and Daisy the lab mix)
John brings up a good point and I agree.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
0ED7DDC0-5AE7-455C-96C3-6B1EC0409113.jpg
Hope this photo shows something.

Zoom in and you’ll see my little 10 lb miniature poodle in a daypack, worn in front. She wore “doggles”, the smallest size I could find. She’d have on a harness, clipped to the inside of the bag, with the bag firmly attached to me. We went cross country multiple times and she did fine. Those were the good ‘ol days, she’s gotten a little old and frail for this kind of thing, but was a trooper for quite a few years.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
If (and that’s a big “if”) I were to take my dog, Daisy along on my ST, or in a small private plane or helicopter, she would be wearing a set of muffs like these:
Mutt Muffs
http://safeandsoundpets.com
Read the FAQs.
Available on Amazon also. $60 is a very small price to pay to insure continued good quality of life for a precious canine companion. Goodness knows we don’t get to keep them with us for long.

FWIW JMNSHO

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Any advice though on if any of the wider windscreens cut some of the air? Maybe a pillion can attest that there is less air just in front of them? Do the fairing deflectors remove any of the wind coming up my legs?

Thank you all!
Hi Trapper dog -- That is why I have a smaller dog =oP I had a bigger dog before this one and then was when I fell in love with the idea of a tear drop camper that the dog could be in while we ride and I can sleep in while we are stopped. But, looking at the ST1300's (still) available hitches, the tongue and pulle weights are just too low for a 450lbs camper with a 45lb tongue weight...However, now I have the smaller dog and she can ride on the bike! See http://littleguytrailers.com/littleguy/rascal/, If I had a little more money I though about reaching out to them and see if we could "trim some fat". I've seen a Gold Wing pull a micro teardrop, but most of the rest I see are either pop-up or utility/cargo.

Good call on the Mutt Muffs, John, I've looked into them but am trying to find a place local so I can "try them on" but haven't made it over yet... I also think, as much as she hates the Doggles, I think she may try to murder me in my sleep if I tried Doggles and Mutt Muffs together... I always wonder how loud "clean" air or the bubble behind my windshield is... but being the good MC Instructor that I am, I always have the full face helmet and earplugs... maybe one of these days I'll ask one of the "Free Header" people what they think =oD However, that said, I have kinda "assumed" that the area behind me would be quieter than in the direct windblast, so I felt if I could only protect eyes OR ears, I choose eyes since she could not get anything out of her eye while on the bike but she could duck out of the wind if she so choose. Also, it seemed like there was less turblence behind me on the Ninja than on the ST1300... she was very much mad at me after the 80 mile trip on the ST than she was after the 130mile trip to Newport (and back a few days later) on the Ninja.

DM Cleane, is it a specific doggy daypack or, for the most part, generic? I like the idea of her infront of me, if only I could trust myself to not constantly watch her! How did the little one do in the wind? Were her ears all over the place like my pup's.

Don, I did think about converting the bag to magnetic, as it is perfect for holding her in and letting her head out, but on the Ninja, my forward tilt was just too much to have her in front. I need to test the layout on the ST1300 one of these days.... but living in Portland, Oregon, winter = almost daily rain, so I'll wait for a clear day in May =o)

Last edited:

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
ChibiBiker,
The pack is a generic daypack, something you’d use for a casual hike. She just drops right in there with her weight sitting on my right thigh and her head pointing to the left. I can reach in and check on her easily. Her floppy ears don’t move much, maybe blowing a little bit forward. She comfortably sits right in the wind pocket and spends a lot of time snoozing.

AEC28710-2ED9-4B04-A356-82E9A0831A8F.jpg

Here we are in front of the Black Lightning Cafe in Eureka, CA.

OP
OP
I like your style DMCleane! Here I am, thinking of multi hundred dollar solutions and you just found a cheap backpack for likely a more elegant solution than I could have dreamt up =oD

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Our pup was too large to fit on the back, so we bought her a trailer years ago. The little woman always wanted to ride in it with her when it was raining or snowing
Where did the little woman ride when it was warm and sunny? Did that HD have a removable back seat?

Top Bottom