Cordless Air Compressor for garage/home

OP
OP
ArTravlR
STOC #
I have air tanks but they are limited in volume and I don't have electricity in the barns, where I keep a lot of stuff. Cordless to top off the power washer comes immediately to mind. It would not be for any serious duty but if it would top off the tire on a bike, mower, etc long enough for me to ride it up the hill to the garage. I do appreciate the suggestions.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, here's a question for the Power Knowledge folks out there.

I currently carry two of the small battery packs that have enough power in them to start a car with. Has anyone thought of hooking up a 12V compressor to one of these...would they work or burn up?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I frankly don't see the point of a cordless one, especially for use at home or in your garage where there's power available. Even the 12V vehicle powered ones seem a like a better idea out on the road than a cordless one. They are lighter, smaller and always ready.
Same here... I do have a small portable air tank that is easier to maneuver around the garage for the car/bike.. and faster... as long as I don't fall.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #

I currently carry two of the small battery packs that have enough power in them to start a car with. Has anyone thought of hooking up a 12V compressor to one of these...would they work or burn up?
You'd have to check the rated output amps on the battery and compare that to the rated amp draw of the compressor. That's the system that I'm using, I'm using a larger XP-10 battery, along with the compressor they sell that matches the battery.

Ride Safe
John

Bike
07 ST1300
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
@JimGregory

according to the Amazon ad it claims anodized aluminum fittings, so those black pipe nipples are aluminum, right? They kinda look like plastic in the image, but I think its really a black anodized aluminum nipple, wrapped in black silicon/plastic where it attaches to the hose.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'll bet some of the cheaper ones don't even have replaceable batteries - just throw the whole thing away...
but if you order within the next 10 minutes we'll send you a second one free, just pay additional shipping and handling, so you'll have a backup.

Bike
07 ST1300
I dunno what they are but definitely metal. No idea why they would not use brass. I have been using compressors and hoses basically forever and I don't recall anything I didn't like about it so "whatever".
I hung it on the wall over my little compressor. It reaches from the back wall of the garage, out the overhead doors and far enough to go around a pickup that's pulled up to the garage. I just grab the end and walk away. I have enough extra hose to go around the house from there should I need it.
Waited all my life for that stupid thing!

@JimGregory

according to the Amazon ad it claims anodized aluminum fittings, so those black pipe nipples are aluminum, right? They kinda look like plastic in the image, but I think its really a black anodized aluminum nipple, wrapped in black silicon/plastic where it attaches to the hose.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

If it can handle the amperage, it would work.

Doing the math.... if your unit was rated at 10,000mah, which is rated at the USB. You'd have about 4ah at the 12v plug. Compressor pulls 10amps, (power draw will vary with load) you should be able to run for about 15 minutes. Enough for even a DS tire. Now the bsttery pack will be getting a little warm, recommend you let it rest before recharging.

Top Bottom