Cordless Air Compressor for garage/home

STOC #
I've been watching the TV commercials about cordless air compressors with interest recently but reluctant to believe the claims. However, the recent cold snap has presented the need for the gizmo. I like the features of preset PSI and Cordless! Does anyone have any experience with these compressors?

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Read some of the online reviews of this pump. Most are not good. At any rate, given the battery powered electric pump, I can't imagine it will come close to 42 psi. Little of the merchandise marked 'As Seen on TV' is durable, or even performs close to the ad.

That aside, I would love to have a sturdy built, functional pump similar to this. I could carry it into my outback and rescue the mower or wheelbarrow very quickly. Have a compressor and 75 ft of hose in my garage, so I won't rush into a purchase.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
However, the recent cold snap has presented the need for the gizmo.
How so? Is a corded air compressor too ungainly? I've used a portable corded a few times and it can be a hassle. Sometimes the DC cord is just a bit too short.

I think I'd want one that could inflate two flat tires to 42lbs. Don't know how studly its battery would need to be or how big it would be. Something somewhat powerful would be really convenient.

OP
OP
ArTravlR
STOC #
"How so?" Recent temperature drop here in the east. Mom's car went from 36 to 18 overnight. I am expecting limited duty for a portable; for topping off from 31 psi to 36 psi for now. I have a Craftsman compressor in the garage; works great for all the heavy duty work but limited by its location. I had a portable 2 gal compressor but it walked off. Since it has to be replaced why not upgrade. If one battery charge will allow topping off the car that would be great. Black & Decker looks promising.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
How about a portable air tank? We have one of these; good for situations where we can't take a compressor along or reach it with 100' of air hose.
Five gallons at 125 psi gives you almost 15 gallon at 42 psi.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html
I noticed that they have an 11-gallon tank for $10 more. For enough air to go 2× + further than the 5-gallon tank, that looks like a good deal to me. Both of these have the same maximum pressure rating of 125psi.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I have an AntiGravity XP-10 jump starter battery and bought their air compressor to go with it. The compressor is the smallest I've ever seen and it works great. The compressor connection is SAE, so it can also be run from a battery tender extension. I swap the battery and compressor in whichever bike I'm riding and have been know to throw them in the car during trips.

57832CC2-196D-4A5D-98B7-4075319ABBB3.jpeg

Bike
07 ST1300
I have a tiny little toy compressor in my bikes with a plug kit. For my wifes BMW X3 which DOES NOT have a spare tire, I keep this compressor and an excellent plug kit.
I wouldn't bother with a rechargeable compressor. I would worry the battery would crap out after a while, and I like things to last. I could be dead wrong though.
Seems like anything you need to add air to will also have a 12 volt electrical system. I REALLY like this little air compressor.
Also for a small shop or portable compressor I got one of these most amazing things. It's quiet as a churchmouse. Love it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ASY23I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOSCDPA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
This is what I bought last year and have been very satisfied with it:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-Volt-Car-Air-Inflator/1000092575?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-CompressorsDiyAndStationary-_-1000092575:Kobalt&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000092575&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1004&k_clickID=0c06626e-59e1-475c-a17c-0164eda62a43&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuPqvwpHG2AIVSp7ACh1L3gObEAQYASABEgLa1_D_BwE

It’s electric or can be used with a cigarette lighter plug- not portable for the bikes, but it works very well and has a built in air gauge so you don’t need to check pressure after filling, plus, you can preset the fill PSI and the compressor will stop at that point. When we travel longer distances by car, I keep this in the trunk. For each of the bikes, I bought a compact compressor that runs off the SAE plug to the battery- so far, I’ve never needed them.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
A couple of thoughts on cordless tools...

Lithium Ion is far superior to nicads, especially in that they will hold a charge between uses

and

All re-chargeable batteries do not work (or charge) well when they're cold. If they're charged at room temperature and brought into the cold for use, they work just fine.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Also for a small shop or portable compressor I got one of these most amazing things. It's quiet as a churchmouse.
Another thing I didn't know existed. Nothing to be done about small portable compressors but both are noisy and annoying under the best circumstances.

Bike
07 ST1300
Another thing I didn't know existed. Nothing to be done about small portable compressors but both are noisy and annoying under the best circumstances.
This one is quiet and quick. I have used noisy obnoxious portable compressors for years on job sites. I don't go on the road any more but for light garage needs, that thing is great. I think I got the littlest one. Don't remember.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Air tanks, have limitations and of course we have at least a couple here on the farm but it ain't cordless. :)
a portable air tank has no cord, you fill it from another compressor tank and can carry it anywhere you need compressed air.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
dwalby said:
a portable air tank has no cord, you fill it from another compressor tank and can carry it anywhere you need compressed air.
Way back when I knew several people who made one out of old propane tanks. 5gal? They all had big noisy air compressors to fill them with but those tanks were virtually silent.

Bike
07 ST1300
Interesting. 110 OR 12 volt. I like the preset shutoff as well.

This is what I bought last year and have been very satisfied with it:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-Volt-Car-Air-Inflator/1000092575?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-CompressorsDiyAndStationary-_-1000092575:Kobalt&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000092575&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=1004&k_clickID=0c06626e-59e1-475c-a17c-0164eda62a43&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuPqvwpHG2AIVSp7ACh1L3gObEAQYASABEgLa1_D_BwE

It’s electric or can be used with a cigarette lighter plug- not portable for the bikes, but it works very well and has a built in air gauge so you don’t need to check pressure after filling, plus, you can preset the fill PSI and the compressor will stop at that point. When we travel longer distances by car, I keep this in the trunk. For each of the bikes, I bought a compact compressor that runs off the SAE plug to the battery- so far, I’ve never needed them.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
I use this one for the inevitable low/frozen battery and to top up air pressure when the compressor is not handy. With a built in inverter and usb plug it also fulfills multiple uses on long trips in the conversion van and provides electrical in remote locations (bee yards). Pricey and way too big to carry on a motorcycle but very handy around the house and elsewhere. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-battery-pack-800-a-0111592p.html#srp.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I frankly don't see the point of a cordless one, especially for use at home or in your garage where there's power available. Even the 12V vehicle powered ones seem a like a better idea out on the road than a cordless one. They are lighter, smaller and always ready.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I frankly don't see the point of a cordless one, especially for use at home or in your garage where there's power available. Even the 12V vehicle powered ones seem a like a better idea out on the road than a cordless one. They are lighter, smaller and always ready.
With a cordless one they can eventually sell you a replacement rechargeable battery.

Top Bottom