STOC locations question

dhall854

Retired, ready to RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Hi everyone,
Having retired last year and wanting to participate in some STO events, I've scanned the list of planned events with pencil in hand.
What I've noticed from the many events that I was thinking of possibly attending is that they are mostly all listed as taking place at a campground.

I tried camping on a trip back in the 80's and it didn't work out so well. I swore it would never happen again on another of my trips, and it hasn't.
Granted, equipment has certainly changed and improved since that time, but I'm still not interested in that type of accommodations after riding all day.

I was wondering if the events have any other accommodations available nearby that other ST riders like me might be using. I haven't seen any comments about that from what I've read.
If there are hotels/motels/B&Bs nearby, are they close enough to allow me to still feel like part of the event? Am I the only STO member that doesn't camp??

Yeah, you can say I'm spoiled. Oh well, I can take that. But I REALLY love my ST and I think it has spoiled me from getting any other bike!

Appreciate any info you can throw my way.
Thanks and hope to see some of you on the road this year!

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
The 2 that I host in Spring Green, WI does have motels close enough that work. See WISTOC at the end of post one will give a link to the ones nearby. One member that attends stays at the Round Barn Motel.

There are quite a few that have motels close enough to the camping. It just takes a little digging.

You are not the only one that does not camp.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If you find one that you're interested in comment in the thread that you'd like to know if there are any hotel/motel/KOAs available...
I'm sure you'll get a quick response.

Good luck!

Bike
2000 ST1100
I have used the Round Barn Motel in Spring Green, WI to attend Both the WISTOC and the LOCSTOC events. I have also camped. The motel is simple, clean, and affordable. There is an adjacent part called the Round Barn Lodge. It has pool, sauna, suite, thing going for it. They are part of the same business and are across the street US-14 from each other. there is a breakfast restraint in the Lodge, a drive in on one side, and a supper club on the other. It is less than 5 minutes @ 25 residential miles an hour away from the camp.

The STOC campfires are legendary. The rides are well organized.

Jim

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
You would like WESTOC....mostly hotel stayers and a few camp.

And I hear ya about sleeping on the ground.....

Both the STOC events at my place in NE Washington have a couple motels close by and there is a new BnB real close. Most pitch a tent in the grass lawn._20171008_131722.jpg

Plus the campers at my events get a full bathroom and all cooking is done....so no muss there. Some even bring their cots and\or air mattresses a foot thick.....

And like tinboatcptn said.......the campfires are legendary....... And I might add...your ribs may be sore the next morning....from the laughing....:rofl1:
ToddC

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Equipment has changed a lot, I've actually been more comfortable in my tent than in a bed. Most events are near hotels, just ask as stated above.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
A couple years ago while heading out to Joe's NatSTOC in spearfish (which is mainly a camping event) I had my SO with me and she wasn't prepared to camp. We found a motel close by and still hung out at the campground with the rest of the group in the evening before it was time to turn in. 10 min ride back and sleep tight.

WeSTOC is mainly a Hotel event (even though this year as the organizer I'm trying to encourage more people from different types of riding (including those that like to camp more) to attend. That said, the main event will still be AT the hotel and in the parking lot. Hopefully you can make it this year.

In any event, the STOC events are about the people...where you sleep should be secondary!

Ride safe and enjoy that retirement! (I'll be paying a ton of taxes to keep the roads nice for you for quite a while!)

<D>

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've attended Guzzi rallies (most are camping events) and stayed in nearby hotels. Had no problem at all feeling like I was part of the rally. I usually leave the hotel early, have breakfast w/ other rally goers and hang around until late evening (I tend to go to bed earlier than a lot of guys). Then its back to the motel and a warm shower. Of course, I do like camping and do that often as well, but inclement weather tends to drive me indoors at night.

OP
OP
dhall854

dhall854

Retired, ready to RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I hate paying money for "Motel Bedbug" :)
I used to travel for work and stayed in hotels every month for over a week at a time.
THe only time I ran into the bedbug problem was a rundown Roadway Inn around Columbus OH.
Should have known better from the looks of it, but it was late and I needed a bed.

Let's just say my taste in hotels/motels/B&B's has evolved over the years, just like camping gear!

OP
OP
dhall854

dhall854

Retired, ready to RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
A couple years ago while heading out to Joe's NatSTOC in spearfish (which is mainly a camping event) I had my SO with me and she wasn't prepared to camp. We found a motel close by and still hung out at the campground with the rest of the group in the evening before it was time to turn in. 10 min ride back and sleep tight.

WeSTOC is mainly a Hotel event (even though this year as the organizer I'm trying to encourage more people from different types of riding (including those that like to camp more) to attend. That said, the main event will still be AT the hotel and in the parking lot. Hopefully you can make it this year.

In any event, the STOC events are about the people...where you sleep should be secondary!

Ride safe and enjoy that retirement! (I'll be paying a ton of taxes to keep the roads nice for you for quite a while!)

<D>
I very much appreciate, as probably all other retirees here do, that you'll be working hard to keep up our infrastructure! I helped pay the tax money that got all those roads started! ;-P

One of the reasons I belong to this group and the MSTA is because of the people. That's why I wanted to be a part of the festivities but still be able to enjoy my stay wherever the event may be taking place.

I'm so glad to hear there are those options out there for me.

Hope to see you at one of them this year!

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I used to travel for work and stayed in hotels every month for over a week at a time.
THe only time I ran into the bedbug problem was a rundown Roadway Inn around Columbus OH.
Should have known better from the looks of it, but it was late and I needed a bed.

Let's just say my taste in hotels/motels/B&B's has evolved over the years, just like camping gear!
Then there is these registries that MIGHT work for you .........: https://www.google.com/search?q=bed+bug+registry&oq=bedbug+res&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.9691j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Most stay in cottages at OH-STOC, with 4 or 5 folks splitting the costs. Only a few camp, and nearest hotel is probably 15+ miles away.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

One good reason for tugging a P'up along, you have your own bedbugs with you from home, no strange ones picked up along the road.
I used to camp more, but now with cpap and liking a bed off the ground, I'm spoiled.
My trip to WeStoc and seeing the western states paid for the unit in what it saved me in motel costs.

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I've always stayed in Hotels for the STOC events I've attended (all 3 of them), but that's because I travel for a living, and always have hotel points, so the stay is free.

No bedbugs, but wi-fi, TV, and A/C. Horses for courses. Justify your own decisions however you want, just be aware there is no wrong answer. Camping works, so do hotels. As long as you enjoy the ride.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
OH-STOC and ON-Stoc (Ohio and Ontario) are both held where there are cabins, with all the mod cons. Nova Scotia - STOC will be stationed at a hotel or motel, I can't remember which. Would love to meet you at any of these events.

Even the Blue Ridge Gathering with Uncle Phil includes some cabins. Just keep looking, I'm sure you will find something to fit your comfort level.

Congratulations on the retirement. Hope you have many years of riding free on a weekday ahead of you.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Over the years I've been to more than a few SToc events and I can't remember any that were tent camp only. There is just about always nearby lodging of some sort. Our GA Spring rally at TWO has camping, cabins & lodge rooms. Put us on your list of events.

Skip

Top Bottom