Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STOC locations question

My Gallery

Re: STOC locations question

A couple years ago while heading out to Joe's NatSTOC in spearfish (which is mainly a camping event) I had my SO with me and she wasn't prepared to camp. We found a motel close by and still hung out at the campground with the rest of the group in the evening before it was time to turn in. 10 min ride back and sleep tight.

WeSTOC is mainly a Hotel event (even though this year as the organizer I'm trying to encourage more people from different types of riding (including those that like to camp more) to attend. That said, the main event will still be AT the hotel and in the parking lot. Hopefully you can make it this year.

In any event, the STOC events are about the people...where you sleep should be secondary!

Ride safe and enjoy that retirement! (I'll be paying a ton of taxes to keep the roads nice for you for quite a while!)

<D>
    STOC# 6451
    KLRST# 0002
    Dmulk's Blog
    "Balls sold separately" - MCL Website

2. The Following 2 Users Like This Post:

Bike
    2010 ST1300
    My Gallery

I've attended Guzzi rallies (most are camping events) and stayed in nearby hotels. Had no problem at all feeling like I was part of the rally. I usually leave the hotel early, have breakfast w/ other rally goers and hang around until late evening (I tend to go to bed earlier than a lot of guys). Then its back to the motel and a warm shower. Of course, I do like camping and do that often as well, but inclement weather tends to drive me indoors at night.

4. The Following User Likes This Post:

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2008 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by TourNut View Post
    I hate paying money for "Motel Bedbug"
    I used to travel for work and stayed in hotels every month for over a week at a time.
    THe only time I ran into the bedbug problem was a rundown Roadway Inn around Columbus OH.
    Should have known better from the looks of it, but it was late and I needed a bed.

Let's just say my taste in hotels/motels/B&B's has evolved over the years, just like camping gear!

Newest Ride: '08 ST1300 ABS
    Past Rides: '93 ST1100, '83 VF750S Sabre, '73 CB750K, '73 CB350
    AMA Charter Life Member, MSTA Member since '85, STOwners.com member since '08

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2008 ST1300 ABS
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dmulk View Post
    A couple years ago while heading out to Joe's NatSTOC in spearfish (which is mainly a camping event) I had my SO with me and she wasn't prepared to camp. We found a motel close by and still hung out at the campground with the rest of the group in the evening before it was time to turn in. 10 min ride back and sleep tight.

WeSTOC is mainly a Hotel event (even though this year as the organizer I'm trying to encourage more people from different types of riding (including those that like to camp more) to attend. That said, the main event will still be AT the hotel and in the parking lot. Hopefully you can make it this year.

In any event, the STOC events are about the people...where you sleep should be secondary!

Ride safe and enjoy that retirement! (I'll be paying a ton of taxes to keep the roads nice for you for quite a while!)

<D>
    I very much appreciate, as probably all other retirees here do, that you'll be working hard to keep up our infrastructure! I helped pay the tax money that got all those roads started! ;-P

One of the reasons I belong to this group and the MSTA is because of the people. That's why I wanted to be a part of the festivities but still be able to enjoy my stay wherever the event may be taking place.

I'm so glad to hear there are those options out there for me.

Hope to see you at one of them this year!

Bike
    '07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dhall854 View Post
    I used to travel for work and stayed in hotels every month for over a week at a time.
    THe only time I ran into the bedbug problem was a rundown Roadway Inn around Columbus OH.
    Should have known better from the looks of it, but it was late and I needed a bed.

Let's just say my taste in hotels/motels/B&B's has evolved over the years, just like camping gear!
    Then there is these registries that MIGHT work for you .........: https://www.google.com/search?q=bed+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

8. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    93 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Most stay in cottages at OH-STOC, with 4 or 5 folks splitting the costs. Only a few camp, and nearest hotel is probably 15+ miles away.
    It's S-I-Repair! Pat O STOC# 7105 IBA# 37880 There's no dumbass vaccine! 15 Yamaha FJ09 "Thorn" (another fast, red one!) 93 ST1100 "Suzaku" C.G. Red (you know, the fast color!) 84 VF500F Original Owner! 89 NX250 (will live again!)
    This week I achieved unprecedented amounts of unverifiable levels of productivity...

Bike
    2005 St1300
    Tip Overs
    2018 Miles

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dhall854 View Post

One good reason for tugging a P'up along, you have your own bedbugs with you from home, no strange ones picked up along the road.
    I used to camp more, but now with cpap and liking a bed off the ground, I'm spoiled.
    My trip to WeStoc and seeing the western states paid for the unit in what it saved me in motel costs.
    1 drop in reverse, so is that a minus 1? 205/50-17 Goodyear TripleTred, 130/70-18 Bridgestone BT-45 (rear)
    While you're alive, shine: never let your mood decline. We've a brief span of life to spend: Time necessitates an end.

Bike
    2001 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I've always stayed in Hotels for the STOC events I've attended (all 3 of them), but that's because I travel for a living, and always have hotel points, so the stay is free.

No bedbugs, but wi-fi, TV, and A/C. Horses for courses. Justify your own decisions however you want, just be aware there is no wrong answer. Camping works, so do hotels. As long as you enjoy the ride.
    Iron Horses in my Stable:
    2001 ST1100 , 2011 Burgman 650 (Ghost), 2012 Burgman 650 ,(Spirit), 2016 Vulcan Vaquero
    The rest are cages........

Bike
    2012 Victory Vision
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

OH-STOC and ON-Stoc (Ohio and Ontario) are both held where there are cabins, with all the mod cons. Nova Scotia - STOC will be stationed at a hotel or motel, I can't remember which. Would love to meet you at any of these events.

Even the Blue Ridge Gathering with Uncle Phil includes some cabins. Just keep looking, I'm sure you will find something to fit your comfort level.

Congratulations on the retirement. Hope you have many years of riding free on a weekday ahead of you.
    Jock

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" - Amelia Earhart

Bike
    '04 ST1300
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Over the years I've been to more than a few SToc events and I can't remember any that were tent camp only. There is just about always nearby lodging of some sort. Our GA Spring rally at TWO has camping, cabins & lodge rooms. Put us on your list of events.

Skip

"The less people you chill with, the less BS you deal with"
    The weather don't matter....let's ride!!
    STOC #3156
    IBA #55488

+ New Posts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast