Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Travel

Bike
    2016 VFR1200X
    My Gallery

Re: Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Tr

As I read this post I think that there are a couple of points being missed by the original question. Does damage occur to the motorcycle when trailering? Yes, Maybe. Here are a couple of points that my wife and I have learned about trailering. Nearly 10k miles in the last two years.

First how are the bikes tied down to the trailer. There have been many discussions on this over the years and I guarantee you that everyone has an opinion on this. When placing the tie downs are there any points of contact to the bike, meaning points where the tie down strap can cause damage or wear marks? Bikes with rubber mounted bars I would look to something other than the handlebars for tie points (the ST1300) included. Do I elect to compress my front and rear suspension? And if so how much? I prefer to tie the front without compressing the forks. Like on the ST or my wife's VFR I tie to the lower fork legs. This lets the bikes suspension work without loosening the tie down straps. I do however have to compress the rear suspension, just by design that need to happen. I used to compress the front forks and I have had many times where the strap hook would come off the anchor point on the trailer.

Look for potential wear points on paint, or metal surfaces. The straps are abravisive. The outside panniers take a beating if left on the bikes and not covered or removed. Road debris will cause paint damage. Open floor on the trailer will allow more road debris up and cause minor pitting to low slung painted surfaces. Although I am not sure if it is any more than what riding may cause. Personally I think good mud flaps on the tow vehicle will go along way to protecting the bike on the trailer from any other debris that maybe kicked up. I have never covered my bike while towing and really have not noticed any significant damage caused by road debris, (no more than riding the bike in the same conditions) other than the outside panniers.

I don't think I could spring $600 a pop for covers to protect the bikes (for me that's times 2). I would rather put that money into a good, well designed trailer for hauling the bikes, that provides tie down options, flexibility as to the number of bikes being trailered & how to configure the load, and the ability to load the bikes with confidence.

In The Barn
    2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2008 VFR800 ABS - The wife's bike, 1976 CB750F - For Sale, Brad

Bike
    2001 ST1100 ABSII
    Tip Overs
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Tr

So, a general question to the masses... do you think a bike will get more damage on an open trailer than if you were just riding it? I say no, especially if the trailer has a solid floor.

Too much white... I'm working on it!

STOC #8735
    IBA #68258

3. The Following User Likes This Post:

Bike
    2016 VFR1200X
    My Gallery

Bingo!!!

Bike
    2007 ST1300A
    My Gallery

I have hauled open trailer. Tying it down is more important than which trailer. I don't lime compressing the suspension. I use a condor chock. Very secure. I don't worry about the bike at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike
    2016 VFR1200X
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by STGUY View Post
    Tying it down is more important than which trailer. I don't lime compressing the suspension. I use a condor chock. Very secure. I don't worry about the bike at all.
    So with the Condor Wheel Chock how do you tie the bike down with confidence? Front and Back, just Front, Just back? If just the back to you tie it so the tie downs push the bike into the wheel chock? Or are you just good with side to side?

Vendor
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

jfheath,
    Thanks for the trailer info. I have some left arm movement issues, so a single rail loading trailer like the Motolug would make me pretty nervous getting the bike on and off the trailer. Good advice about locking the trailer to the car for security. I was wondering how people might deal with the trailer disappearing.

SteveST1300,
    Thanks for Geza pricing info. The more I look into it the more I'm inclined to go with an open trailer and I'm thinking the Geza cover might make some sense.

Bike
    2007 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Grabcon View Post
    So with the Condor Wheel Chock how do you tie the bike down with confidence? Front and Back, just Front, Just back? If just the back to you tie it so the tie downs push the bike into the wheel chock? Or are you just good with side to side?
    I have some pictures. Will find them and post. The chock is bolted to trailer. You can bolt it directly or use an adapter plate. I use the adapter plate so I can remove it in 30 seconds and then use the trailer for other stuff. I have screwed E-track to the decking on either side of the bike. Put the bike in the chock. Then I go around a rear solid piece on the bike and come forward at about a 45 degree angle and hook up to the e-track. Tighten it up on either side and you are done. Never worry about it. Trailed about 4 or 5000 miles. I use their straps. They are thick and better than most. They have a loop sewn in the strap so your strap hook loops back and hooks back to the strap and not on your bike. I have some short (12") loop straps if I cannot get a hook through a tight place. Loop it around and hook to that. Doesn't matter which bike always secure.
    That strap is not strapped to the MOTECH bag mounts. It is attached to the rear sets

Last edited by STGUY; 01-12-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Bike
    2016 VFR1200X
    My Gallery

Thanks

Bike
    2007 ST1300A
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Grabcon View Post
    Thanks
    No problem.

Vendor
    (Threadstarter)
    My Gallery

Thanks to all - great info and very informative. I appreciate Grabcon and paulcb circling back to the original question of damage. I hadn't thought much about solid vs perforated floor - glad that came up. I'm not inclined to spend $600 for a cover either, but I might be tempted to go up to $300 for a Geza. I tend to keep my bikes for a long time, so $300 over another 5 - 10 years isn't much. We'll see - got to sort out the trailer choice first.

STGUY - the pics are helpful. I get the impression that having a good wheel chock goes a long way to easily and safely securing the bike.

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast