Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Travel

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Re: Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Tr

I never weighed it, but it does tow nice, despite the low tongue weight.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Re: Looking For Feedback on Condition or Damage to Motorcycle on Long Open Trailer Tr

jspringator - I'm still in the basic learning phase of trailering. I understand that tonque weight at the hitch is an important factor to safe, smooth towing.

I was wondering if you have any idea of the tonque weight of your Rampfree when the ST1100 is loaded on it? I would guess that it would depend on where you position the bike on the trailer, but being a trailer newbie I may have it all wrong. Your photo with the ST on the trailer looks to have the bike pretty well centered for and aft over the wheels - could just be how it ended up. Thanks
Yes, tongue weight is very important to safe towing. Not enough weight on the tongue then the trailer will whip back and forth. To much weight and your vehicle suspension will be compressed and your vehicle will have to work harder and it will use more fuel to tow the same trailer load. A little more weight should be forward of the axle and usually if you see your vehicle sag a little that is good. If while trailering you hit bumps and the trailer starts wagging back and forth then you need to move the load forward.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor

Thanks for the feedback. STGUY - I appreciate the advice, good to know.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor

Ltimb and STGUY - Thanks for the videos. They certainly help to understand the importance of proper weight distribution.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #

I towed it at speed from Lexington, KY to Rapid City SD and you couldn't hardly tell it was there.

I towed a 9,000 pound travel trailer for 11 years. I went to truck stop scales to set up my Dual Cam weight distribution/sway control a half a dozen times. I know about towing. This isn't the same kind of towing. I've towed that rig behind my SC430 that doesn't HAVE a tow rating. No problems.

Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor

jspringator - Interesting set of pictures given the building/fence in the background. I had to look twice to realize one pic had the Expedition and one had the SC430. Thanks for the feedback.

Bike
2007 ST1300

I've been trailering bikes for a few years. I prefer the closed trailer with a ramp for the protection and security. My tow vehicle is a Dodge Grand Caravan. I am of the same vintage as the Ferret and I don't like riding up the ramp into the chock. What I use is an electric hoist ( Harbour Freight 400 lb, 120v) mounted on my wheel chock to pull my bike in. The hoist cable is long enough and I loop a strap around the front forks to connect to the cable. My wife or one of my kids operates the winch while I walk the bike up the ramp. I find it a much more controlled loading. You could use a 12v winch.
Hope that helps

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor

Oldbutfast - Thanks for the feedback. It's a good idea. At one point I toyed with the idea of carrying the ST on the back of a pickup (with a suitable sized bed). There are several companies that use a combination of a winch anchored to the truck bed and a rail-type assembely to pull the bike and rail assembly as one up onto the pick-up bed. I thought it was a cool idea, but pricey. In the end I decided against the pick-up idea so that option went away.

Top Bottom