Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear ABS sensor possibly faulty?

Bike
    ST1100
    My Gallery

Rear ABS sensor possibly faulty?

Bike was in the garage yesterday having some work done on it and whilst there I asked for his advice on the ABS light coming on? Now he pulled some codes that came up rear ABS sensor,now after a quick removal of the sensor to have a quick look,the rear sensor has a grove running through the middle of it,does this sound right?
    His initial thoughts were no and thinks itís been adjusted wrong and over time the cog on the wheel has wore this channel into the sensor,does this sound right please?

Bike
    ST1100(s)
    2018 Miles

My SPOT
    My Gallery

Re: Rear ABS sensor possibly faulty?

There should be no groove on the sensor if it's a ST1100 ABS. Sounds like the rear abs bracket is bent as it should keep the sensor off the cogs.

97 ST1100 STD +150,000 / 02 ST1100 ABS +114,000/ 97 ST1100 ABS +75,000
    www.UnclePhil.us

"There's more to leading than being in front." - Uncle Phil

Bike
    ST1100W
    My Gallery

+1 Uncle Phil, it doesn't sound right.
    I think it's time to fit a replacement and check the mounts.
    Upt'North.

Bike
    ST1300A9 (2013)
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

No there shouldn't be any - but having said that, mine had some small grooves on it when I bought the bike - at some point the sensor had been catching its back end on the pulsar ring. It worked fine for a long while.

You will get fault codes if the clearance between the sensor and the pulsar ring isn't as specified, or if the sensor has attracted bits of metal (it is magnetic) - wire brush bristles are a favourite. There has to be a small air gap, and the castelaltions on the pulsar ring need to be clear.

You can also test the sensor - or I discovered that I could on my ST1100AY (2000).

The sensors are interchangeable so if you clear the codes, switch the sensors over and try again - you will be able to establish if it is a sensor fault or something else.

If the sensor is stuck, do not try to tap it out - the bracket will break, even with very tiny taps. Find another way.

This post of my experience may help. I wrote it years ago when I had problems and the Honda dealer couldn't fix it and I came up with a method of checking whether or not the sensors were working. This helped me to pinpoint the fault to a rear sensor fault - after which I was able to replace it.

You will read it in the links - particularly the last table in Post #1 - 'what the manual doesn't tell you' - but be aware that many of the fault codes you will get from now on will be old ones. (Maybe the ones relating to the arming of the ABS actuators could be new). But in order to trigger a new fault for the sensors, the system has to have armed itself, and in order to do that it needs to have moved forward above 5mph and obtain compatible readings from the front and rear sensors. If it doesn't do this, it cannot arm itself and therefore isn't able to detect whether or not the sensor is working.

(No I don't understand why it cannot report that the rear isn't producing any signals, but this is what I found). I rode the bike for a good few months with the ABS not working, before I eventually got it sorted out. It never generated a new fault code for the faulty rear sensor !! This had me confused for a long time. See the table at the bottom of Post #1

All of this was on a UK ST1100 AY with ABS/TCS/CBS - how it relates to other models, I do not know - although some versions have a different fault code for the sensors, I believe.
    Last edited by jfheath; 01-11-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Bike
    ST1100W
    My Gallery

Rocky, I think the gap between ring and sensor should be around 0.5mm, it'll probably say in the owners manual?
    Please check, it's only from memory and mine is non ABS, so can't check.
    Good luck.
    Upt'North.

Bike
    ST1100
    My Gallery

Be very careful with the sensor bracket when trying to adjust it. They break fairly easily I've been told.

Is your battery fully charged. Terminals tight?
    "Nothing screams bad craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape."

ďAfter a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true.Ē Spock

Bike
    ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Upt' North View Post
    Rocky, I think the gap between ring and sensor should be around 0.5mm, it'll probably say in the owners manual?
    Please check, it's only from memory and mine is non ABS, so can't check.
    Good luck.
    Upt'North.
    Honda workshop manual says 0.4-0.5mm for post '95 ABS/TCS. Just checked mine on reassembling rear end at 0.04mm.
    Last edited by Big-E; 01-12-2018 at 01:47 AM.

Bike
    ST1100
    My Gallery

Do you have the blue/black tool kit bag? The tool bag has a feeler gage for ABS gap on the outside of the bag.
    Last edited by Ron; 01-12-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Bike
    1997, ST1100ABS
    My Gallery

According to the Clymer the gap is 0.5mm (pg 494) for the front sensor. It also asks us to refer to the specs on table 1 which is located on pg. 558 Table 1 gives the gaps.
    Front 1992-95 0.4-1.2 mm
    Front 1996-2002 0.4-0.5mm

Rear. 0.7-1.2mm

From what i gather gen I and II for the rear is the same. The front one is different for the two generations The feeler gauge I have that came with the bike is a 7mm

The manual I downloaded says to use the feeler gauge supplied with the tool kit and that one is a 5mm. (pg. 87) I couldn't find a spec for the rear wheel.

The 7mm gauge is also used to set the clearance from the front outside left brake disk and the left caliper holder
    Last edited by kiltman; 01-12-2018 at 04:39 PM.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    ST1100
    My Gallery

Update...
    will a rear sensor from a 1993 model be the same as my 2001 one?

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast