Upper fuel tank

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
Am I the only one that always has trouble lining up both screw holes back up to attach the front of the upper fuel tank? I can get one perfect, but the other is always off. And yes, I keep the end with the pivot loose until I secure the front end of the tank.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

STrangr

Mike O.
Bike
2007 St-1300 Abs
STOC #
Am I the only one that always has trouble lining up both screw holes back up to attach the front of the upper fuel tank? I can get one perfect, but the other is always off. And yes, I keep the end with the pivot loose until I secure the front end of the tank.

You're not alone. I struggle with it all the time. To the point where I dread removing the tank. I have found that sticking a small screw driver in there and putting pressure upwards (in my case) to line it up helps. Still a Pita

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The way I always did it was lift the front up about an inch and start each bolt separately.. once you get them started, let it down and it's easy.

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I feel much better knowing it's common. . . I think I bent one of the screws this time:( I'll make sure to order a new set and be extra easy when pulling the old ones to replace. . I'll make sure to use these suggestions next time I lift the tank. . .and my heli bars don't help either. . Lol

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
]
I've had that problem as well. Kevin_56 had an excellent idea that I will try next time. Screw the front two screws first and then the back. Thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
The way I always did it was lift the front up about an inch and start each bolt separately.. once you get them started, let it down and it's easy.
What Joe says... I've lifted up the tanks on my bikes dozes of times. The fastest and easiest way to put those two bolts in is to lift the tank up a little, like Joe said!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I have seen alot of damaged frame threads from folks trying to force those two bolts in! You can either lift the tank up a little bit, being careful not to drop the collars down into the black hole, or do what I do, remove the rear tank mounting bolt (the one you loosened to lift the tank). Simply remove the nut, and pull the bolt completely out. This bolt goes through a tube. You can now move the tank around (forward or backward) and put the two front screws in by hand, before you attempt to use any tools on them, thus protecting the Aluminum frame from the steel bolts damage, then simply push the rear bolt back through the tube and snug it up.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lift the front of the tank a little and they thread right in.

OP
OP
Hueyf4i
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300ABS
STOC #
I did the lift technique and then threaded right in. . . I should have posted this a while ago. . Lol

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I used to have a problem aligning the 2 front bolts also... But now before I remove those 2 bolts I remove the 2 screws on both sides of the lower cowl, it's the ones above the valve cover and remove the wing and the 2 bolts underneath. I then pull the back part of the lower cowl out from the socket holding it in place. Then loosen the back tank bolt, remove the front 2 and lift your tank. Do the work and lower it down. You can then wiggle the tank forward, back and forth. It will also protect the foam on your tank keeping the heat channeling back.

I may take a video this summer on How-To

Attachments

Last edited:
I use an aluminum pilot rod placed into one side of hole mount (for me, left side), then thread right side. The left side threads in flawlessly.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I've had that problem as well. Kevin_56 had an excellent idea that I will try next time. Screw the front two screws first
Lift the tank high enough to still get the first screw started and then repeat for the other screw. Lower the tank. Yes this is a repeat of what Joe said, but wanted it heard from the horses.............

Top Bottom