Question for the electrical knowledgable - RT

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Neither of them have what we're looking for and I just plain don't like their primitive sites. I want to replicate what I saw and so far I'm not finding it.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok so I'm unclear as to how this is going to play out. But I have a question about my 'Wing buddy's 2016 GS1200R:

Is there a trick or anything special to adding a 12V auxiliary LED tail light to his bike? No brake light no strobe just a basic LED light in addition to the stock taillight.
Have you looked at the Clearwater Can opener system. Mine has 4 output leads including extra leads for basic functions with the ignition on. I use one lead to fire up a relay for my added accessories once the bike is running.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It turns out that this should be easier than I thought. All I need to do is use a relay powered by an ignition-only source to feed an LED module from the battery.

I'm just looking to attach some sort/brand of LED strip to the back fender of our bikes as an aux tail light. Probably in the neighborhood of 80mA–100mA max.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It turns out that this should be easier than I thought. All I need to do is use a relay powered by an ignition-only source to feed an LED module from the battery.

I'm just looking to attach some sort/brand of LED strip to the back fender of our bikes as an aux tail light. Probably in the neighborhood of 80mA–100mA max.
If the canbus notices a resistance load on the source you choose that is higher than expected it shuts off the circuit. A relay might work OTOH there's a reason for these BMW-only device controllers by Skene, Clearwater, and others.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
treemuncher said:
Have you looked at the Clearwater Can opener system.
I couldn't find it for sale at the Clearwater site. I did find a TPS15 CAN Bus Output Helper which I imagine is similar. It powers five devices On/Off with ignition. Simple. Slick. Pricey at $129. Not too bad if you're going to farkle-out.

Relay+LED light+connector bits will be less than $20-$25.

Top Bottom