2018 Goldwing Review Cycle News

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nice review. Can't wait for more to roll in. I :grin: at this bit:

[FONT=&quot]so Honda chose to give the new Gold Wing a sleeker profile (California lane-splitters will be happy)[/FONT]

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
caldercay said:
I also don't like the fact the author isn't intimate with a Wing prior to 2018.
I don't really think that's relevant. He put 200mi on a bike that performed well for him. Then he rode a previous version that didn't measure up by A-B comparison. It was immediately apparent to him that the '17 felt inferior (or whatever) when compared with the '18— to him.

So if he was intimate with earlier 'Wings what would that show? That he could ride a '17 better than in this comparison? Very likely the case. As I've said previously my buddy could surprise and possibly shame many an ST rider with his 2005 'Wing. So what happens when that skill level is put to the test on an '18 Wing? I see only better results.

And more to the point of someone like me who's never ridden a 'Wing bigger than my GL1000 is that this new GW is easier to ride than the previous versions except maybe my GL. The author states a more in-depth review is coming. No matter what any rider-reviewer says about any bike there's always the possibility that much some or none of it will apply to someone else. So we read what we can but (it's hoped) base our conclusions on an objective demo ride and maybe feature set. We like it or don't.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I like what I read in the review. I am seriously considering this bike, but I want to know what kind of mileage it will get (preferably at least 200 mi. until reserve), I was hoping in the range of the ST1300's performance, 0-60 & 1/4 mile times (much like the previous engine but with a tick more power midrange. In general, power increase isn’t dramatic over the previous engine, but it does feel a little snappier overall) and the ergonomics and DCT, well I will have to take one for a ride.

I have been waiting for a review like this and now awaiting another to see if it covers my above points. Will continue to observe and the dealer I have been talking with expects models by the end of this month.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Gug said:
In general, power increase isn’t dramatic over the previous engine, but it does feel a little snappier overall
Based on the recent video I'd think the power increase was at least near-dramatic. There will no doubt be ride reports on the mileage considering how many people complained that range was reduced (without ever having ridden the bike).

It's still a heavy bike and even with an extra gear it'll be easy to tank gas mileage. Once a rider gets that out of his/her system I bet getting mileage numbers similar to the previous 'Wing won't be difficult. Still I wish Honda kept the same capacity. Nobody likes give-backs. More reviews!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
As I think Honda is aiming for a market that is not already intimately familiar with the pre 2018 Wings, it's probably a better review for the 'first time' user.
Is it a review of the bike by itself or a comparison to what was?

Granted you can't give a good review if you don't know what is the normal across the market. I mean if this was the first bike he rode that had an electric starter he might be highlighting the wrong components.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
The dealer told me that they are getting two on the 29th of this month as demos. They can’t sell the demos until July. So I will have plenty of opportunities to go test ride one or both of them.
Having never liked the Wing before, I hope the changes make me change my mind. Time will tell. I sure like what I have seen and read about it so far. It was way past time for an update.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, i read the article, but what grabbed my attention was photo #2 in the article - the profile photo.

Doesn't it look eerily like a CTX1300??

Kinda like I mentioned in another thread on the new Wing. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the CTX1300 was a test bed for some of the styling elements of the new Wing.

Don't think it would matter that the author was not experienced on Wings in the past as long as he (she? can't get to Cyclenews while at work and missed this last night) has significant riding experience and compared the ride of both old and new Wings, IMHO.

Kinda like I mentioned in another thread on the new Wing. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the CTX1300 was a test bed for some of the styling elements of the new Wing.

Don't think it would matter that the author was not experienced on Wings in the past as long as he (she? can't get to Cyclenews while at work and missed this last night) has significant riding experience and compared the ride of both old and new Wings, IMHO.
If you read Honda's marketing, even they make comparisons, though, in subtle language:

There's a new engine. New front suspension. Available 7-speed DCT. All in a more agile body that's over 85 pounds lighter. You'll also find the latest in technology, including Apple CarPlayTM integration, and five distinct trim levels to suit your style.
So, for me, I'd like to know how those enhancements improve on the GL1800, ride-wise :)

Bike
R1200rt
If you read Honda's marketing, even they make comparisons, though, in subtle language:

So, for me, I'd like to know how those enhancements improve on the GL1800, ride-wise :)
Think about it "There’s a new engine. New front suspension. Available 7-speed DCT. All in a more agile body that’s over 85 pounds lighter."

Some where down the road in a few years I hope to buy one. It looks like huge improvements to me over the previous generation.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I am planning to visit the Cleveland bike show in a couple weeks to see one for myself.

JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I'm still waiting for a real life review that doesn't sound like it was written by Honda's advertising department. A review of riding in traffic, on back roads, and twisty roads would be nice. Not just a few laps around a track. Who's going to claim the first SS1000 award? That's what I want to read.

John

Bike
VStrom 650
IS IT ME?
YES PROBABLY?
Honda's grande tourer can't fit two helmets in the top box and the odd shaped panniers are 30 litres.
Maybe it's a commuter bike? Has Honda provided GW nuts with what they think they want, I've never heard anyone ask for less luggage space.
If riding two up is your thing then there won't be adequate luggage space here, or I don't think so and isn't that what a GW is for. Even if one up do you really want to tie stuff on the seat.
Like I said, it's probably me. It normally is.
Upt'North.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
IS IT ME?
YES PROBABLY?
Honda's grande tourer can't fit two helmets in the top box and the odd shaped panniers are 30 litres.
Maybe it's a commuter bike? Has Honda provided GW nuts with what they think they want, I've never heard anyone ask for less luggage space.
If riding two up is your thing then there won't be adequate luggage space here, or I don't think so and isn't that what a GW is for. Even if one up do you really want to tie stuff on the seat.
Upt'North.
There was less luggage room on the GL1800 than there was on the GL1500 so this isn't a new trend. I thought space was already at a premium on the GL1800 for traveling with two people.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
IS IT ME?
YES PROBABLY?
Upt'North.
The GW has always had, well the 1800 anyway, built in helmet locks for under the trunck that are very convenient. The review said it can't fit all of 2 helmets but you can if you arrange them correctly, the current wing is like that.

There's barely enough packing space for 2-up on any bike... it's easier on a bike with no trunk actually.. I bet you can pack more stuff on an adv bike w/no trunk than you can ANY current or previous touring or sport touring bike out there... but then some folks bring more than they need.

The wing may not fit the bill for everyone, I'm not sure it does for me.. the previous version for me wasn't perfect ergonomically, I still had a bit of a stretch to the bars I never liked and a backrest was my only cure... if this on is even more spacious in that area then I may not like it at all.. I had to use GEN III bars on my ST before it was perfect. The 2012 Super Ten needed some risers for me but the changes they made to the 2014 made it perfect without any.. oh well, at least it's nice to have options from Honda.. I was starting to give up... I'm still hoping a new ST is in the works... some day..

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nashcat said:
I'm still waiting for a real life review that doesn't sound like it was written by Honda's advertising department.
They're on the way no doubt. But I'm sure we could find some haters to write something really negative with even no time on the bike.

These hands-on first looks are fine by me because they hit the high spots— the really good and the really bad if there is any of either and I know more in-depth reviews are on the way. I don't much care how they sound as long as they're objective. I don't expect a reviewer to sound neutral if he/she is enthusiastic or disappointed. I just want objectivity— subjectivity offered as universal fact is a waste of my time.

Me I'm waiting for my 'Wing buddy to take one for a spin.

Mellow said:
The wing may not fit the bill for everyone
Yet it seems that some people think Honda meant it to and that's just not the case. A lot of assumptions on what Honda intended and I think most are well off the mark. The same thing happens with every new bike Honda brings out.

Mellow said:
There's barely enough packing space for 2-up on any bike... it's easier on a bike with no trunk actually.. I bet you can pack more stuff on an adv bike w/no trunk than you can ANY current or previous touring or sport touring bike out there... but then some folks bring more than they need.
I wanted a Honda top box (mainly for the LED spoiler!) but the combo was just too pricey for my taste especially since painting would likely have been needed for at least the spoiler.

So I got the Bygdawg rack and have been very happy with it. A few items have been transported that wouldn't have been possible with a top box. A box is part and parcel on a Wing and I pack light anyway.

This is not how I roll. :rofl1:

Top Bottom