2018 Goldwing Review Cycle News

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
That Cycle World review is the first one where I've seen anyone *****ing about the DCT - apparently downshifts aren't as nice as was hoped. I'd probably still get the DCT, but real-life ride reviews will be interesting.

Sitting on one in Long Beach, the ergo's seemed perfect to me. A little more spaced out that the ST1300, bars about right, etc.

The side bag storage space is problematic. On the swingarm side there is a big intrusion for the pumpkin that takes up the sweet spot in the bag. The other side isn't as bad, but they're still 30L vs the ST's 35L. The topbox is larger than the ST box, so overall maybe 5L more storage. Long trips I use a MotoFizz back seat bag anyway. I'm not really willing to 2-up tour on any bike, so the 2018 is tolerable, if not ideal.

I was almost tempted to put a deposit on one, but then sanity returned.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The side bag storage space is problematic. On the swingarm side there is a big intrusion for the pumpkin that takes up the sweet spot in the bag. The other side isn't as bad, but they're still 30L vs the ST's 35L. .
this is something that I've been shaking my head about for decades. When a m/c design team decides that a bike will come with factory hardbags, what goes through their heads when they decide things like "it seems like a great idea to route the exhaust really high, and put a big sideways "U" in the saddlebag for clearance, nobody will mind that inconvenience". Hard bags should maintain their primary shape on both sides, mufflers and other hardware can be routed around the bags, not the other way around. These are big, bulky bikes that really don't need that much optimization for weight, ground clearance, etc. so it seems like working around the bags, like on the ST1100 isn't really that hard of a design task.

STOC #
I spoke with my local Honda Power Sports / owner buddy in Lincoln Nebraska this afternoon. He says he is going to Austin Texas on the 27th and 28th of this month for a dealer only preview of the new wing. He said he was one of 80 dealers selected out of the 1400 Honda Motorcycle dealers across the United States. He said their will be all day ride opportunities and the engineers will be on hand to answer any questions including maintaince guidelines and new training required.

He said the bikes ship to dealers the following week with his first 8 bikes due by February 1st. He also said he will get two additional bikes... the standard without the trunk and the tour wing with the trunk to be used for test rides. He said he is not allowed to sell those demo models for 8 months. Test rides start in March or as weather permits. So sounds like there will be plenty of opportunities for test rides. I am looking forward to talking with him when he returns to see what he thinks...As for my own test ride, as soon as it warms up I will be on his doorstep. Not sure I am ready to give up my ST but a test ride should help make up my mind.

JohnConner

Site Supporter
Bike
18 Goldwing Tour DCT
I went to the Cleveland motorcycle show yesterday and sat on the new GW. They drew a really big crowd around the bikes and you had to wait you turn to throw a leg over it. My impression is this is more of a ST-1300 on steroids than a GW that shrank in the wash. The instrument cluster and front end are VERY much like the ST, only with updated and current technology instruments. The seat and riding position are upright and comfortable. The flat 6 cylinder engine is beautiful, but could use more chrome. There is room for minor updates, like the '07 ST had no side covers but the '08 did - the '18 GW has a gap there, too. There are no front side pockets like the '17 GW so you only have a storage bin in front of the gas cap door, if you don't have the airbag. But they did route a USB cable into there for connecting your phone. The electric windshield is so much like the ST-1300 I had to remind myself this wasn't a ST. I did find out the bike runs on regular. Someone had told me they went to high-test, but that is not what the dealer told me.

My original concerns are still there. Reduced storage capacity and reduced fuel capacity. The bike is beautiful and if you can overlook, or live with the limitations, and the price, it will be a very nice ride, I'm sure.
20180127_095922001.jpg
JohnConner
: bgw1:
:usflag1:

Bike
ST1300
I'm interested in seeing what changes they make, due to customer feedback, in the 2019/2020 models. Will they increase fuel capacity, storage capacity or whatever else the consumer wants?

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I'm curious how so many bemoan the smaller panniers, gas tank etc, would be the same guys that said the old GL was too heavy? LOL. Something has to give if you're gonna reduce weight. "Well we want it 100 lbs lighter, but don't reduce the gas tank, the saddlebags, the fenders, the frame, or the seat. We also want ya to add ESA and the associated hardware, better put in a motor for electric windshield, and while you're at it a heated seat, keeping it mind we want it 100 lbs lighter" :rolleyes: Kinda like those guys that complain about the wind noise when riding a motorcycle.

I need to replace the ST in my stable, and although I still enjoy riding it, I've retired it from long riding, mostly because it has no cruise control, or modern technology, no, that would be my FJR, that if I would get around and replace the seat, but would be hard to beat by any bike.

Right now I'm down to the new RT and or this GL, not gonna make a call on till this bike till proven by guys I trust. I already know what kind of bike the RT is. By general consensus it is the best sport touring bike available.

Bike
VStrom 650
I think the luggage size will come back to haunt Honda but I'm sure they'll go for the easy fix like on the Deauville, larger pannier covers will be easy and welcomed by many. I suppose you could even go to large or small dependant on your mood.
I haven't seen the bike in the flesh but can't see why this wouldn't be possible.
And just think how many more lights that could be hung off them.......
Don't accept this is a weight issue you are talking about a few extra ounces for gallons more luggage. I also don't accept that someone buys a GW to go away for an evening, they're to tour on aren't they?
Upt'North.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
WOW! That was a great review. And on par with all the hands-on first-look reviews I've seen. Just a lot more depth. (I wish he hadn't used such a bold font though.)

Lots of good stuff especially the bit about giving up the Man Card. LOL I hope there'll be more video(s). I like that he spent a lot of time writing and talking about the DCT. It sounds like a real winner to me.

The video looked great on my small laptop screen. I was able to read the instruments well. I'll d/l it and put it on my desktop screen for a better look.

Catcher— thanks for the link. It's just what the rider ordered!

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I find it interesting that the new Wing is electronically speed limited to 112 mph (like my CB 1100) which will mean anyone riding one at a ST-OC event is likely to get left in the dust on the first long straightaway lol

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nice review. Only flaw I've read in that review is that he said the "standard" Gold Wing does not have reverse (unless he was referring only to the manual version, but he stated "the one without a trunk" so that would seem to include both Gold Wing models). Only the manual version of the Gold Wing (without trunk) does not have reverse, the DCT version of the Gold Wing does per what I read in on the Honda site. What both of the Gold Wing models don't have is the 4 electronically adjustable preload settings feature, which is only on all versions of the Gold Wing Tour. Not trying to be picky, but that is one item (reverse) I'm interested in and one of many reasons I lean to the Gold Wing DCT. The electronic preload is nice but I'm willing to do without that one since I tend to set and forget things like that.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice review. Only flaw I've read in that review is that he said the "standard" Gold Wing does not have reverse (unless he was referring only to the manual version, but he stated "the one without a trunk" so that would seem to include both Gold Wing models). Only the manual version of the Gold Wing (without trunk) does not have reverse, the DCT version of the Gold Wing does per what I read in on the Honda site. What both of the Gold Wing models don't have is the 4 electronically adjustable preload settings feature, which is only on all versions of the Gold Wing Tour. Not trying to be picky, but that is one item (reverse) I'm interested in and one of many reasons I lean to the Gold Wing DCT. The electronic preload is nice but I'm willing to do without that one since I tend to set and forget things like that.
Having had a couple wings in the past... the reverse is definitely a great feature.. especially for us short-legged people... lol.. Heck, I wish my Super Ten had reverse sometimes.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Though not really short legged here (matter of perspective I guess) I do like the reverse anyway. And what I like about the DCT reverse is that it's driven by the transmission as it should be. I'd likely end up using it more just due to that. I was always a little apprehensive about using the reverse on my old GL since it was driven by the starter motor.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I could be wrong but lost in the details both bikes have have a reverse IIRC the DCT has a reverse gear driven by a chain drive in the transmission and the manual bikes still use the starter motor for reverse.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Actually only the manual Gold Wing Tour has the electric motor reverse that uses a dedicated motor, not the Starter/Generator motor (I remember reading this in more than one pre-review at least), and no walking mode. As is also currently indicated in the "Trims" listing for each model on Honda's web site. The manual Gold Wing (without top case) does not have a reverse. All DCT versions (Gold Wing and Gold Wing Tour) have "Walking Mode/Reverse."

A good article showing the transmission and how each is implemented.
2018 Honda Gold Wing Has Two Transmission Options

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Going to see the NEW Wing at the Dallas Show this Friday. Hopefully they'll be some room around it to squeeze in and look.
Not a big fan of the smaller saddle bags or gas tank, but we'll see when I get there.
Like the looks a lot, and will see how it fits and feels when I jump on it. Hope there's a great impression factor when I see it in person.
I'll be looking forward to a test ride when I can find one in Feb.

Top Bottom