Handlebar differences

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Can't seem to find it anywhere - is there a difference between the 2003 ST1300 and later models? Seems I recall reading somewhere that there was a height difference? I'm trying to figure out why I'm not as comfortable on the 03 as I was on the 04. I have the same riser and the same seat now, and still it doesn't feel right. For the most part, I'm only commuting about 15 miles or so, and by the end of the ride, my shoulders are staring to ache. Yes, it's been about 5 years since the 04, but I have the pics, and the riser looks the same (same manufacturer), and the seat is a Sargent on both. I was commuting about 40 miles one way on the 04 and didn't have issues, so I'm not sure what's up with the 03.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
All ST1300 civilian models all years have the dimensions for seat/bar/pegs.

In my case I rode my '05 for 9 or 10 years over 150,000 miles with no risers and the same seat then one day my shoulders and upper chest started to feel a bit of something, not exactly pain, but a tension that resolved into muscle ache late into a days ride.

I bought a set of late generation MCL risers off the classifieds to try out and I couldn't be happier with the change. My body is not the same as it was a decade ago but my bike was. The risers were just what I needed.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The risers didn't change... but the seat is an issue... if it's a new sargent maybe it's not made the same way or if it's an older seat from the prev bike maybe it's deteriorated. Also, you're 5 years older, yup sometimes that does make a difference depending on what has happened to YOU in those 5 years, injuries, different hobbies, a different chair at work... amazing what can affect your riding...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Wahrsuul said:
Yes, it's been about 5 years since the 04, but I have the pics, and the riser looks the same (same manufacturer), and the seat is a Sargent on both.
Maybe you aren't the same as you were five years ago. Could be some subtle change in your body means what worked then doesn't now. Barring traumatic injury you wouldn't think that just five years would make a difference. But it might. It could be something as simple as your posture being a little different.

Been huffing any HGH lately?

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
I've thought of those issues as well, and if that turns out to be the problem, then the bike will likely have to go. No major injury between then and now, but yeah I am older, and since the wife became disabled, I'm not as active as I used to be. Just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I went through the gen I and II risers before the best result for me which was the Gen IIIs... if you can find a set, might be worth it.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm commuting 125 miles a day and find some days my back burning, some days it's my shoulders, some days my knees are aching, some times I feel great!

You would think after 325K miles on the ST1300, I would have it down to a science so very ride would be perfect! Well, this ole body is changing with the times and with that, I just accept a little discomfort for being able to ride like I do! :eek:4:

When I bought my first ST1300, back in 2005, I didn't even put one mile on it and I had Heli Gen II riser on it. Then after the Gen III came out, I went to it. I found I did a lot better with it, so I have Gen III bars on the three bikes I've been riding for the last few years. Also, the RDL is a MUST in my book, I never leave home without it! :butt1:

Hope you can find the right combination for you

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm commuting 125 miles a day and find some days my back burning, some days it's my shoulders, some days my knees are aching, some times I feel great!

You would think after 325K miles on the ST1300, I would have it down to a science so very ride would be perfect! Well, this ole body is changing with the times and with that, I just accept a little discomfort for being able to ride like I do! :eek:4:

When I bought my first ST1300, back in 2005, I didn't even put one mile on it and I had Heli Gen II riser on it. Then after the Gen III came out, I went to it. I found I did a lot better with it, so I have Gen III bars on the three bikes I've been riding for the last few years. Also, the RDL is a MUST in my book, I never leave home without it! :butt1:

Hope you can find the right combination for you
I hear you but an hour on the freeway isn't the same as all day on back roads.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can't seem to find it anywhere - is there a difference between the 2003 ST1300 and later models? Seems I recall reading somewhere that there was a height difference? I'm trying to figure out why I'm not as comfortable on the 03 as I was on the 04.
Funny you should say that - I had forgotten that when I first looked at the then new ST1300 as a replacement for my 1100, I tried it in the shop and I really didn't like the riding position. It was throwing me too far forward onto the bars for my liking, so I stuck with the 1100, and bought a 2nd hand 1100AY. I tried the 1300 again a few years later, and this time quite liked it. I felt at the time that something had changed between the early 1300 that I tried previously and the A6 - but I never bothered to check out if there was a difference. I just knew that it now felt more like a tourer. I remember saying at the time - 'It feels much better than the last time I sat on one'.

Nevertheless, I fitted a BikeQuip riser which lifts the bars a tad and brings them back a small amount.

The evidence probably doesn't back up this perception. But it's odd that you felt it as well.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll begin the search for a replacement.
Sure seems like an expensive solution.. I'd give some risers a shot first as it may be just the difference..

flip-flop

I do not consent to a search...
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
You know, the “age” thing can work the other way too. I had a lot of comfort issues with my first ST, a 2005. Enough that I jumped ship to a Goldwing very soon after.

Now, 8 or 9 years later I’m on a 2006 ST and comfort is not an issue.....

Maybe try helibar horizons first?

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Sure seems like an expensive solution.. I'd give some risers a shot first as it may be just the difference..
I have risers on it now. Not sure what "Gen" they are, but they're the same model I had on the 04 from what's written on them. As for expensive - maybe, but probably not too much. I don't buy new, so for what I could sell the ST for, I could find something else - a bit cruiser, or an older 'wing maybe. If I knew someone around here with an ST1100, I'd try that and see if it fits better.

OP
OP
Wahrsuul
Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok, I was out working on the bike yesterday. Looking at the bar riser, how would I tell which one I have? In the middle it says "Tour Performance Heli". I didn't measure my previous one, but the name on it is the same (I think). Could be a different gen? Doesn't seem to be very tall though.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Looking at the bar riser, how would I tell which one I have? In the middle it says "Tour Performance Heli".
Post up a picture of it from the side with a ruler spo we can get an idea of the rise.

The name is the manufacturer.

Most likely i would guess a 2nd generation, the most common. But a picture is worth a thousand guesses.

Top Bottom