Got Hit By A Missile this morning!

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Back a couple years ago I was riding in a group ride with about 10 bikes. I was leading. As we crossed over I-40 on 385 east of Memphis I saw a piece of 3/4 plywood in our lane. I slowed and motioned to something in the road and moved to the left lane. Everyone else stayed to the right and run over the plywood except for the Suzuki and the K1600. When we got to where we where going, I asked if they saw the plywood on the road. Response, what plywood. My response the piece you ran over on the bridge. I have wondered if it had been larger would there have been Harley's all over the road. Thank goodness it was a new piece with no nails or screws in it.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Damn Bob! Too close for comfort. Years ago a truck kicked up what looked like a brass 3/4" pipe thread elbow. Caught me right across the left hand knuckles. It was warm weather so I had my lighter gloves on. Hit so hard it took a chunk from the brake lever and made my whole hand go numb for about 10 minutes. That's when I knew it was going to hurt like hell once the numbness faded. I literally couldn't use that hand for a week. X-Rays showed no broken bits though.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Certainly glad you weren't hurt. I have a solution that takes the pain away from opening the wallet too far as well. Colors are optional and a quick and painless repair.
DT.jpg

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The only encounter that I have had on a motorcycle was when a dog ran into my GS850 many years ago when I was going 55~60 mph. The first road trip that I took in my Mustang in December 2014 when I drove to Illinois to visit family for the Christmas holiday, I was driving on a two lane road in Arkansas when I heard a loud "bang" when I was passed by an oncoming 18 wheeler. Didn't know what it was until later when I discovered that one of the convertible top bows had been hit and bent slightly downwards. No idea what hit it, may have been a brick or something else small that I never saw coming. The point of impact can be seen on the top fabric, but it didn't have any consequences.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Glad you’re OK Supra!

When I was a boy I was tooling along on my GS850G. Suddenly, a brown flash came over the windscreen of my Quicksliver fairing and nailed me right in the middle of my chest - the bone called (I think) the sternum. It was a small bird and its neck was broken - it flopped down onto the tank in front of me - dead as a door nail. I somehow got off the road and stopped and spent about 15 minutes trying to catch my breath. I was wearing a leather jacket - as always.

It may have been small - but it felt like a big rock at 70mph and it left a bruise that didn’t go away for weeks. The bone was tender literally for YEARS after that. I can’t imagine what something like that would do to your head/eye/foot if you were riding sans gear.

Every time I see someone doing that it makes me cringe.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks all!

Unfortunately you can't ride without getting nailed by something some time! The way that hit me, I'm just glad the bike took it and not me! :eek:4:

Top Bottom